Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if I should be happy, the excuse they had for software limiting regen like that in the first place was that it would impact the longevity of the battery if they didn't.
Tesla initially set the regen and power limiting to very conservative values. Now that they have years and millions of miles worth of data, they can start to move the goalposts a bit, which is what we're seeing now with the changes to when regen and power are limited.

This is similar to how earlier Model S's were "uncorked," and how they've been able to unlock additional power from existing motors on the Model 3; they've collected the data showing that they aren't pushing the limits yet, so are cautiously and carefully giving us more power. I believe they are doing this very cautiously, as they would hate to have to issue an update that reduces power. Certain Model S owners with certain battery packs will tell you exactly how much they enjoyed having their capacity reduced!

IMO, we will continue to see more updates regarding total motor power available, adjusted regen and power pulling points as the fleet continues to contribute data to Tesla.

Reactions: APotatoGod
MX owner here with the update. It's not super obvious now that it's warming up here but I notice that my regen has not been limited at the beginning of my drives even though the temperature is in the mid-to-low 50's. Normally I'm missing a good hunk of regen even at those relatively warm temperatures for at least 10-15 minutes of my drive. So.. progress?

I'm not sure if I should be happy, the excuse they had for software limiting regen like that in the first place was that it would impact the longevity of the battery if they didn't. When I first got the MX it had to be pretty cold before I would see any limitation on regen and even that would clear up pretty quickly.
I'm from New England. I updated to 2021.4.12 a few days ago. Since then it has been at or a bit below 32 degrees in the morning. I've noticed that my regenerative braking is working better at these temps...almost as good as when it's in the mid 50's. So, in my opinion, this update has improved cold weather battery operation.

So maybe just coincidence, but after my update to 2021.4.12 I have had two system random reboots and my driver side window will not one touch rolldown anymore. Passenger side is fine. Anyone else having this problem? You think this is something I should contact service for or just wait for the next update? 2020 Model 3 performance, little over a year old.

So maybe just coincidence, but after my update to 2021.4.12 I have had two system random reboots and my driver side window will not one touch rolldown anymore. Passenger side is fine. Anyone else having this problem? You think this is something I should contact service for or just wait for the next update? 2020 Model 3 performance, little over a year old.
Before requesting service, try (1) a window recalibration: recalibrate window by holding down window button for 5 secs after window has rolled down then do the same thing holding the button up after its rolled up; (2) perform a car reboot and let it sit/sleep overnight.
See what happens next day.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
A couple things I've noticed since getting the 4.12 update:

1) Autopark popped up while I was driving slowly past some cars. I wasn't purposely creeping close to parked cars trying to get autopark to recognize a spot. This was the first time.
2) I had a problem with autopilot at the (S on) Foothills at Arastradero intersection. Sometimes I'd get a red light and AP would force me to take over while waiting. Other times AP would make a lot of little steering adjustments or complain in the middle of the intersection. It was absolutely perfect this weekend.

I've had "autopark" issues when I didn't buckle up while moving my car in the driveway, or when turning to see as I reverse and lifting my weight from the seat enough that the car might think I'm not there anymore. I've also had autopark when advancing or reversing close to parked cars as you stated. This behavior is not new in recent software, it's always done that. Does this match what you've seen?

RE: cold weather improvements, it seems like regen still gets severely limited after driving 10-15 minutes around freezing ambient temps (0°C +/-2°C) even if the battery is fully pre-warmed.

On Sunday morning I tested this very closely. Pre-warmed the battery while parked by navigating to the nearest SC. Using Scan My Tesla to monitor temps, I waited until the battery was warmed to 31°C (+/-1°C for min/max cell temps) before starting my drive.

After about 15 or 20 minutes of driving through the mountains, mostly downhill but also some uphill, I felt regen getting severely reduced, and there was even a message to that effect on the display.

The surprising thing is that temps were still near 30°C, so not sure why the regen limit drops so low (around 20kW instead of 60-70). My SoC was around 80% so it’s not like my battery was too full to get full regen.

RE: cold weather improvements, it seems like regen still gets severely limited after driving 10-15 minutes around freezing ambient temps (0°C +/-2°C) even if the battery is fully pre-warmed.

On Sunday morning I tested this very closely. Pre-warmed the battery while parked by navigating to the nearest SC. Using Scan My Tesla to monitor temps, I waited until the battery was warmed to 31°C (+/-1°C for min/max cell temps) before starting my drive.

After about 15 or 20 minutes of driving through the mountains, mostly downhill but also some uphill, I felt regen getting severely reduced, and there was even a message to that effect on the display.

The surprising thing is that temps were still near 30°C, so not sure why the regen limit drops so low (around 20kW instead of 60-70). My SoC was around 80% so it’s not like my battery was too full to get full regen.
This happends when soc is high when going downhill. I always had this in my TMS and now my TM3. The higher the soc, the shorter period you can sustain high regen even if batterytemp is fine. If your soc was 20% there would not gave been any restrictions on regen. After the 4.11/12 update it seems regen above 75% is the leadt affected, meaning it is also improved, but not as much as regen below 75%.

This happends when soc is high when going downhill. I always had this in my TMS and now my TM3. The higher the soc, the shorter period you can sustain high regen even if batterytemp is fine. If your soc was 20% there would not gave been any restrictions on regen. After the 4.11/12 update it seems regen above 75% is the leadt affected, meaning it is also improved, but not as much as regen below 75%.
Interesting, but I’m not sure this algorithm makes sense (not saying you’re wrong, just doesn’t seem logical for Tesla to implement it as such).

When supercharging, my car is still pulling ~50kW at 80%, so why would I get less than half that power from regen?

During my last drive it went suddenly from >50kW to 20kW. So it was fine for a while, then regen abruptly dropped by a lot.

Wouldn’t it be more consistent with supercharging (not to mention safer for driving) if it gradually decreased as the SoC increased, which in my case it barely even did?

Here’s a graph of the first couple hours of my drive showing the battery level:

CBB49A39-A188-417D-9F19-BC6FF772F59C.jpeg

Software version 2021.4.12 was just detected on a Tesla Model 3 Performance in California United States. The highest previous version was 2021.4.11. Follow the 2021.4.12 release at TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker . You were alerted per your settings on TeslaFi.com.

😅
Lol that was my car, two weeks ago.. (see first post of this thread). Delayed email notification from Teslafi?

Actually, that isn’t a big jump... new cars are delivered with a firmware that is a completely different code branch than the regular fleet code branch. My Sales Associate referred to it as the “break in firmware.”

Your car will switch over to the regular fleet firmware after some unknown trigger event happens. The trigger might be after so many miles, so much time, a combination of both, or some other event we don’t know about. It’ll happen somewhere between 10 and 20 days. You’ll know when you get a “Software Update” available message. At that time, you'll receive the latest regular fleet firmware, which as of now is the title of this thread.
New MY owner here at of last Saturday (3/27/21). Still on 2020.47.104. Curious, why do new Tesla's come with this dated "new car" branch? Does it have additional "new owner" safety features while we acclimate (i.e. more nag, less aggressive lane changes, etc.)? Does it have less aggressive regen braking while we adjust to the feel of regen? There must be some reason to deliver and maintain 10-20 days on a different branch than the regular fleet.
Newbie question - do new updates get installed automatically? I just went out and touched the Software link, then it indicated it was checking for new updates. It found 2021.4.12 and is installing now. Would this have happened automatically, without my giving it a push? Assuming also, it will continue unattended and I don't need to babysit the update.

Thanks!
I assume 2021.4.12 was already downloaded and the action you took was to simply install the already downloaded software? I understood there is no way to force a download, but if I missed something and there is a way to make my Tesla "check for new updates" and download, please share!

New MY owner here at of last Saturday (3/27/21). Still on 2020.47.104. Curious, why do new Tesla's come with this dated "new car" branch? Does it have additional "new owner" safety features while we acclimate (i.e. more nag, less aggressive lane changes, etc.)? Does it have less aggressive regen braking while we adjust to the feel of regen? There must be some reason to deliver and maintain 10-20 days on a different branch than the regular fleet.
Tesla hasn't said what the differences are, so anything you read here is just conjecture.

My own thoughts on it...

When a developer writes a piece of software, they will often code in "debug" code that is useful for them during the development process to make sure that everything is working OK. When the software is finally ready to ship, they de-activate the debug code.

IMO, the break-in firmware is kinda like running the car in "debug" mode... it's checking for certain items to break in correctly and possibly monitoring some functionality that isn't normally monitored (just like debug code) in the normal firmware. So it's keeping a closer eye on things than what the normal firmware would.

I don't think that there's any differences as to the car's functionality or driver feel, though.

But again, since Tesla hasn't said, this is all just guess work.

MYP here and since 2021.4.12 I have experienced 7-10 approx instances where the car won't unlock from phone and I need to pull out the key card to get in, or if I open the car with the App use the key card to start it - very annoying. For context in 9 months prior ownership this has happened only once and I think I had the App closed at the time (iOS on iPhone 12 Pro).
I have tried re-boot as well as closing App etc and it is still occurring.
Hoping this gets cleared on next update and am also assuming for now this is a software glitch.