Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.4.3 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 Model 3, LR here in California.

The 21.4.3 update came this afternoon and took about 25 minutes to install. I have "Advanced" selected in software updates. The release notes indicate this update only provided minor bug fixes and improvements.

Hopefully, my OS will stop crashing several times a week.

Laura

It's not clear which version of car you have, or where and how the OS resets itself.

The only additional feature i'd like is a fix to the windshield wiper controls. I think it's terribly inefficient that when you want to turn the wipers on you have to:
1. Push the wiper icon
2. Turn on wipers
3. Select the wiper speed.

Then, once you've done that, the damn menu disappears. i find it common that during rainy weather, i often have to change the wiper speed. With Tesla, each time conditions change, i have to repeat the same sequence, taking my eyes off the road. If Tesla would just LEAVE the DAMN MENU UP while the wipers are on, this wouldn't be a problem

Laura
The only additional feature i'd like is a fix to the windshield wiper controls. I think it's terribly inefficient that when you want to turn the wipers on you have to:
1. Push the wiper icon
2. Turn on wipers

Then, once you've done that, the damn menu disappears. i find it common that during rainy weather, i often have to change the wiper speed. With Tesla, each time conditions change, i have to repeat the same sequence, taking my eyes off the road. If Tesla would just LEAVE the DAMN MENU UP while the wipers are on, this wouldn't be a problem

Laura

auto wipers sucks for me. I tried it once and on a very light rain where I would have had it on a very low setting on a normal car the auto made the wipers go super fast for no reason, so I turned it off.

That happens to me as well, but it usually slows down within 4-5 seconds. It's not too annoying. It used to be worse but it's gotten better. I think it takes some time to "calibrate."

Luckily with PLAID, you won't have to push anything because there aren't any stalks. You'll just have a small menu to fiddle with during fluctuations.

update from Tesla,

They are removing the cumbersome separate brake and acceleration pedals and replacing them with a single pedal. The car will use its surroundings and navigation data to determine if you want to make your passengers blackout or choke them with the seatbelt.

it’s funny now, but just wait.... it’s coming.

As for the wipers... rainX. No wipers needed! Lol. Auto does work....kinda. It has its moments when it’s perfect, but if it’s dark and you pass under a street light the camera sees all the rain it “missed”, and they go bonkers for a few mins. Still with the rainX, auto works fine for me 95% of the time.

I haven’t had my MY long, but has there been any substantial improvement on the auto wiper functionality? Seams like if it’s fixable with the current hardware, then it shouldn’t take that long if a team of software engineers spent some time with it.

Maybe it’s on the back burner?

1. Push the wiper icon
2. Turn on wipers

Laura

1. Push the wiper icon
2. Turn on wipers

Laura
Have you tried voice commands.
push right button on wheel. Turn wipers on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Tesla could invent a wiper control on it’s own stalk? With haptic feedback of on/off, and a rotary dial for speed, on the end of the stalk? It might work so well, for EVERYBODY, that it wouldn’t even be a forum discussion item. Seriously though, I am glad to have a forum to come to to learn how to deal with things I never gave a thought to, driving my previous 3 Mazdas.

THIS. I DO think it was a design mistake to remove wiper controls from the right stalk, where they are on most ICE cars. That said, Tesla could/should redesign the OS so that wiper controls are more easily accessed. I continue to believe that the controls should remain visible once turned on.

As for Auto, reviews of auto wipers mirror my experience. it's a train wreck.

Laura
I guess that is one plus for X/S is we have the wiper controls on the turn signal stalk.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Just got the update. One thing I noticed today: When pulling up to a line of cars stopped at a red light, a red "STOP" appeared on the driver visualization display. While I was approaching the car in front of me slightly fast, my car still stopped in time with just a pedal lift/regen. But I've never seen that "STOP" alert before.

update from Tesla,

They are removing the cumbersome separate brake and acceleration pedals and replacing them with a single pedal. The car will use its surroundings and navigation data to determine if you want to make your passengers blackout or choke them with the seatbelt.

it’s funny now, but just wait.... it’s coming.

As for the wipers... rainX. No wipers needed! Lol. Auto does work....kinda. It has its moments when it’s perfect, but if it’s dark and you pass under a street light the camera sees all the rain it “missed”, and they go bonkers for a few mins. Still with the rainX, auto works fine for me 95% of the time.

I haven’t had my MY long, but has there been any substantial improvement on the auto wiper functionality? Seams like if it’s fixable with the current hardware, then it shouldn’t take that long if a team of software engineers spent some time with it.

Maybe it’s on the back burner?
Hydrosilex ceramic spray works on all my vehicles, including a Mercedes E, a 4WD FUSO dump truck, Kubota Skidsteer and, from Sept20, a LR AWD Y. The only wiper function I've used in years is "Maintenance Mode" to occasionally 'Invisible Glass' dirty windshields and wiper blades and then add another quick coat of HS... I'm a fan of our amazing nano technology.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Transformer
I'm not sure if this is new for this version, but I'm seeing "better" merging prediction with this update. Today, my car was slowing down very early for a car that was merging into my lane on the highway, based on the merging cars calculated acceleration and distance to merge.

In one instance, my car slowed down for the merging car well in advance. In another, the car slowed down for 1 second and then decided it would overtake the merging car because of its predicted speed / merging time.