Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 EV Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the current assessment of the likelihood of Tesla vehicles again qualifying for the the $7,500 US federal government tax credit or possibly $10,000 if including made in America provision? What purchase/pickup date would one have to have to qualify for the credit? I've seen various thoughts on whether that would be retroactive to late May, the date the legislation passes, or not until January 1, 2022. Assuming it could go into effect in July/August (passing this summer) why would anyone be purchasing a car now unless literally have nothing else to drive, his or her tax liability won't require the credit, certain it will take months to get the car with the increased demand the credit will drive, and/or Tesla will generally raise the price to offset much/all of the credit? I am currently in the 8 - 12 week window (placed M3 order at end of May) and want the car now but can't imagine my frustration if I had waited a couple of weeks/month and would have had a massive tax benefit.

Understood that you can do this RIGHT NOW, the person I was responding to claimed they could do this for the next 5 years, as in the market wouldn't catch on and used prices would drop, e.g. "you can essentially drive a brand new Model 3 every year for next to nothing."

I find that highly unlikely for the reasons I already stated. People won't pay more for used cars then what it would cost them for new, especially if the point-of-sale rebate comes to pass (versus having to wait for the tax credit refund the next year)
You are absolutely right! That's why I have to move fast. I am looking for a quality 2014 Model S to tide me over until the new Model Y arrives.
If I don't do this in the next couple of weeks, smart people will realize that they can get a new Model Y for sticker in Jan and get an $8000 tax credit.
But can I count on the estimated Feb delivery? I noticed that the estimated delivery for the Model Y Performance is Feb 22 and for the Model Y Long Range is June 22. So essentially I can sell my current 2021 Model Y with 15K miles and get a new 2022 Model Y Performance and after taxes, still have money in my pocket. Kind of a "No Brainer!"

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Upvote 0
Do we know if Tesla is still allowing the buyer the window to take delivery within 30 days of the vehicle being available?

If this is the case, those who are at 6 month hold expiry after 12/1/2021 might get to the magical 1/1/2022 date if they are hoping for the possible Federal Tax Credit.
My delivery was scheduled for 12/2. I put a 30 day hold on, which conveniently falls on 1/1/22.

9/9 order, M3 SR+, blue, black, 18", no FSD.
Screenshot_20211125-133248_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: iPlug
Upvote 0
Cool. So I’ve ordered a m3lr which doesn’t have near the wait time as the Y. I don’t have a delivery date but I just got a vin a few days ago. I haven’t yet acknowledged that online as I want to push this into Jan 22. Do you have advice on how to proceed?
I just called Tesla (888) 518-3752, and asked for my car to be put on hold for 30 days.

• Disagree
Upvote 0
Moderator note: Merged this post from a different thread.

So I want to delay delivery until next year for the tax incentive but I already made the down payment and the bank also already paid Tesla. I still haven’t receive the delivery email but the estimate is Nov 25 - Dec 1.

Also the agreement date is Nov 15 on the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement. Is this the official purchase date? Or would it be the day I take delivery of the car?

I’ll contact support later today but just wanted to put it here to see if anyone know the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Upvote 0
You are absolutely right! That's why I have to move fast. I am looking for a quality 2014 Model S to tide me over until the new Model Y arrives.
If I don't do this in the next couple of weeks, smart people will realize that they can get a new Model Y for sticker in Jan and get an $8000 tax credit.
But can I count on the estimated Feb delivery? I noticed that the estimated delivery for the Model Y Performance is Feb 22 and for the Model Y Long Range is June 22. So essentially I can sell my current 2021 Model Y with 15K miles and get a new 2022 Model Y Performance and after taxes, still have money in my pocket. Kind of a "No Brainer!"
Just doggone, gone and dunnit! Bought the Model Y LR a full year ago for $54,190. Drove it for l6,208 miles. Just sold it for $62,400
Ordered a 2022 Model Y Performance for Delivery in Feb with the $8000 tax credit.
Bought a one-owner 2014 Model S 85 from Boca for $32,669 to cover the time until I get my 2022 Model Y. I will sell it to my son when I am done, so he too can get out of $450 a month gas payments.

Upvote 0
Just doggone, gone and dunnit! Bought the Model Y LR a full year ago for $54,190. Drove it for l6,208 miles. Just sold it for $62,400
Ordered a 2022 Model Y Performance for Delivery in Feb with the $8000 tax credit.
Bought a one-owner 2014 Model S 85 from Boca for $32,669 to cover the time until I get my 2022 Model Y. I will sell it to my son when I am done, so he too can get out of $450 a month gas payments.
I drive like 1000 miles a year in my 30 year old ice car paid off. I love my money is still in the bank

Upvote 0
I drive like 1000 miles a year in my 30 year old ice car paid off. I love my money is still in the bank
Who would keep their hard-earned money in a bank? I netted $17k off of this transaction and it will go directly to buying some more TSLA stock - a bargain at today's prices. Watch it double in a year. Go TESLA!

Upvote 0
Hi everyone, I am new to Tesla, just got my Tesla last month. I am wondering, of course with my bad luck, I am assuming I may not qualify for any sort of tax credit for 2022 here in IL because I did not take delivery of my Tesla in the year of 2022, would that be correct? I have seen a few mix ups with the new tax bills that are currently being reviewed, at first it was looking promising but now it's not which is frustrating, just curious if anyone knows.

Also I am going to be getting my charger installed this month, I already purchased my Tesla Connector Gen 2 charger last month, I think it's a 30% discount, which I believe is also with that charger install price. Sadly since my house has a maxed out 100 amp box, I will need to do both an upgrade to 200 amp and the charger install, so I am looking at a $5k install cost here because it's in my basement on the other side of the wall so a bit more work than many others (again my luck). Is 2022 a better year to do this for the charger install? I read somewhere that it could be an 80% tax incentive for an EV charger install, would anyone know if that's true or not?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi everyone, I am new to Tesla, just got my Tesla last month. I am wondering, of course with my bad luck, I am assuming I may not qualify for any sort of tax credit for 2022 here in IL because I did not take delivery of my Tesla in the year of 2022, would that be correct? I have seen a few mix ups with the new tax bills that are currently being reviewed, at first it was looking promising but now it's not which is frustrating, just curious if anyone knows.

Thanks!
The Federal Build Back Better bill has not passed the Senate so there is no definitive answer on this. That said however, there is no current version of the House bill that has any wording of this being retroactive to 2021 sales, so it's very unlikely you would qualify.

I am not clear on local or state laws, there may or may not be some incentives you can take advantage of.

Upvote 0