Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know about the Fremont battery being better than the Chinese one on the M3 LT AWD? I am worried I will get a Chinese one - I don't have a VIN yet (though I do have text message to say I'm allocated to a car)
I believe LR and Performance models for Europe are still being produced in Fremont. Only the SR+ (using LFP battery) for Europe has been confirmed to be coming from China.

The main disadvantage of LFP over LiCo (Fremont based battery) is energy density which is nominally 15% lower due to lower peak voltage. I don't know if Chinese built LR and Performance are confirmed to use LFP batteries. There may not be enough physical space (without a redesign) to provide the previous battery capacity. With the SR+, the battery area was under utilized allowing for putting slightly larger physical size LFP battery.

Otherwise LFP has many advantages: less prone to thermal runaway; can be fully charged to max voltage (100%) without increased degradation; cheaper ( no nickel or cobalt).

I believe LR and Performance models for Europe are still being produced in Fremont. Only the SR+ (using LFP battery) for Europe has been confirmed to be coming from China.

The main disadvantage of LFP over LiCo (Fremont based battery) is energy density which is nominally 15% lower due to lower peak voltage. I don't know if Chinese built LR and Performance are confirmed to use LFP batteries. There may not be enough physical space (without a redesign) to provide the previous battery capacity. With the SR+, the battery area was under utilized allowing for putting slightly larger physical size LFP battery.

Otherwise LFP has many advantages: less prone to thermal runaway; can be fully charged to max voltage (100%) without increased degradation; cheaper ( no nickel or cobalt).
So when are they planning to make LFP battery model 3 in US? I thought it was part of the refresh change.

Does anyone know about the Fremont battery being better than the Chinese one on the M3 LT AWD? I am worried I will get a Chinese one - I don't have a VIN yet (though I do have text message to say I'm allocated to a car)

Anything that I've read to date indicates that the MIC have higher build quality than the American made ones. Also, the MIC cars are being built with LFP chemistry which has a number of advantages (and some disadvantages) to the "traditional" lithium based chemistry. The LFP batteries are a bit heavier. On the other hand they happily take a 100% charge without damage. I believe that a weekly 100% charge is actually recommended.

Anything that I've read to date indicates that the MIC have higher build quality than the American made ones. Also, the MIC cars are being built with LFP chemistry which has a number of advantages (and some disadvantages) to the "traditional" lithium based chemistry. The LFP batteries are a bit heavier. On the other hand they happily take a 100% charge without damage. I believe that a weekly 100% charge is actually recommended.
Thanks, now I’m wondering if I should wait to get refresh with LFP in US

Reactions: Sbax
Maybe that's the case! I could be wrong. Any clarity would be good.
Chinese battery = less battery degradation, charging up to 100% is OK, battery is more stable -> less prone to catch fire
I've read somewhere on one disadvantage: battery weighs a bit more, and it reduces the difference between 'gross' and 'curb' weight (so you can carry less luggage)

Hey guys! I just received the certificate of conformity of my new M3. The pickup date is 1st of December from Vienna,Austria. What do you think? Any notable differences?

Attachments

• 08B194C1-2F30-4C0D-A824-FC2D21130C2B.jpeg
    08B194C1-2F30-4C0D-A824-FC2D21130C2B.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 134
  • D4004713-EF83-48E4-8E48-2B3903881FC5.jpeg
    D4004713-EF83-48E4-8E48-2B3903881FC5.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Informative
Reactions: EV Promoter
Hey guys! I just received the certificate of conformity of my new M3. The pickup date is 1st of December from Vienna,Austria. What do you think? Any notable differences?

I see that the "mass in running order" says 1919kg. Is this the weight of the car? If it is, then it seems a bit heavier compared to the 2020 model. I assume you got the awd long range model.
If this is the case, I wonder if it is a bit heavier due to the bigger battery..?

Called Tesla and asked for my VIN. 10th digit is an M and 11th digit is an F. Guy said I'm definitely getting a refreshed model made in the US.

So, thanks for the replies. I am getting a US battery. I didn't plan to charge this to 100% anyway so I am glad to get the better density.

could be realistic that they dropped the price of the SR+ and also introduce the LR RWD for 39k, do you think this could actually happen?

IMHO, within next 6 months, no, Tesla doesn't have a demand problem at current production, but as they ramp in 2021 who knows, for sure, Tesla can't ramp without substantial new 2170 capacity, so I do NOT expect LR with many more cells required to be offered at a low price for this reason alone.