Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are they really making cars for US now? Historically they have been making for export for at least a few weeks after each quarter.
That makes a lot of sense, the first half of each quarter they make cars for export and won't have to match them to customers until they are closer to arrival. I wasn't paying attention when the Model X updates first migrated to the Model S so I don't know anything about that time. But the website will probably not update until they have the inventory in place around the world ready for delivery.
It would make sense to me to charge a bit more for the new-style cars with the new features, or more likely discount the old-style cars a bit, like other manufacturers do with cars that "need to be cleared off the lot to make way for the 2021's!"

I like the idea of retrofitting new features on my old car. The new underside cover with the tow hitch door built in. The new tail lights with the amber turn signals. There will likely be a market for these things either from Tesla directly in the parts book or via 3rd parties. People wanted their Model S's to look like a modern car so they got the new front end retrofitted and painted, I imagine this will continue with the Model 3's.

Just wish I could get the same wiring kit the UK Model 3's have to attach a trailer to the tow hitch in a way that the car knows it's there.

Last edited:
Reactions: beachmiles
any word on if the double pane glass is side windows only or includes a new "acoustic" windshield and glass roof?

do we know if it can be retro-fitted or are Service Centers now supposed to keep 2x different type of glass panels in the inventory for Model 3 replacements?

Chrome Delete
Double Pane Glass
Power Trunk

Don't Like
Center Console (Fugly)
Rims (Fugly) Hope the performance Simms stay the same.
Heat Pump (just another noise maker and something else that can break for little to no improvement.)

double pane glass is a HUGE upgrade. more so than power trunk or a new console. The db reduction in cars with double pane glass is noticeable.

the heat pump has its place for 40F-60F ambient temperature where you do need some moderate heating and the outside temp is warm enough for the heat pump to work efficiently. obviously much colder than that and heat pumps do struggle.

Also wonder how much longer they can avoid updating the website. Anyone know the lag between sighting updates for the Model S and seeing them on the site?
They are going to have to update it pretty soon, people may start receiving these next week within the US, and it seems like there is alot of differences.

Also you'd think they'd want to start advertising the updates as soon as possible.

My guess is we will hear an update during the earnings report next week.

Reactions: ehacke
Chrome Delete
Double Pane Glass
Power Trunk

Don't Like
Center Console (Fugly)
Rims (Fugly) Hope the performance Simms stay the same.
Heat Pump (just another noise maker and something else that can break for little to no improvement.)
Heat pump DOES NOT give you more range Captain_sahaj it reduces battery loss in cold weather. So it never really gets cold in my location it will just be another noisy device, extra weight and something else that could break down.

Heat pump DOES NOT give you more range Captain_sahaj it reduces battery loss in cold weather. So it never really gets cold in my location it will just be another noisy device, extra weight and something else that could break down.

Reduced battery loss = more power in the battery for other stuff.. like moving the car forward. I would imagine that no matter where you are, sometimes it gets to 50-60 degrees, and a heat pump would be more efficient in those temperatures than the current setup on a model 3 which uses resistive heating and is fairly in efficient.

So, yes, a heat pump = effective range, unless its below freezing.. so its actually MORE valuable for people in which "it never gets that cold".

It isn't an extra part or more weight, the heat pump replaces the old AC compressor. And it does increase range in cooler weather if you are using the in-cabin heat at all, or the battery is being heated. Elon said the heat pump is the reason that the Model Y has almost the same range as the Model 3. (It makes up for the extra size, weight, and increased drag.)

Last edited: