Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you. Good to know. Now we just need to know what kind of coolant Tesla uses, to top off the reservoir before it gets too low.

From the Model 3 manual:

Model 3 Coolant.png

I wouldn't want to take my car to a service visit just for that, so will find out which coolant is needed, and buy a bottle. How hard is to top off a reservoir, especially if there's still coolant in it? But thank you for posting that.

It sounds like it may be deliberately low though...I wouldn’t add any without checking with Tesla. It could be that the “nominal” line is placed incorrectly.

I wouldn't want to take my car to a service visit just for that, so will find out which coolant is needed, and buy a bottle. How hard is to top off a reservoir, especially if there's still coolant in it? But thank you for posting that.

I really wouldn't touch it if I were you. It would be reasonable to keep an eye on it, to see whether it drops further, and to understand how it behaves when the car is warm, etc. But it's worth noting that adding fluid would not fix a problem which involves loosing coolant (which is really all you need to worry about) and would not reduce your risk of running low on coolant. It has a sensor to notify you of a major problem.

There's no reason to take it to the service department either. It's nothing to worry about, unless you see the level continue to drop.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
there's orange, green, and blue coolant...unless tesla uses something else
I have red (Lexus) and yellow (Ford) coolants, so there are at least those 2 more colors. Ha ha. The important part is WHAT it is, not the color. They can be OAT, P-OAT, etc. I'd never put anything random, nor not knowing HOW to check proper level. I'm a mechanical engineer who has always worked on cars since a tender age, so not an ignorant wannabe DIYer :). Will research coolant level, and see if I can find what the service manual says. It can't be that complicated to check/top-off, but I wouldn't touch it unless I know what needs to be done. But thank you for the suggestions :).

Normal and expected for 2021 Performance since October (Performance gets the big battery, AWD gets the regular one). Only question is going to be what the actual capacities are (looks like about 81kWh and 78-79kWh - for now).
So you're saying with certainty that the US M3LR does not have the lager battery pack? I thought we were still trying to confirm this? Perhaps I missed a few posts.

So you're saying with certainty that the US M3LR does not have the lager battery pack? I thought we were still trying to confirm this? Perhaps I missed a few posts.

No, we don't know for sure that the AWD gets the smaller pack (or at least I haven't seen the definitive evidence. What we do know:
1) We know the Performance will have the larger pack, and we've known that for a long time. It's required to get 315 rated miles of range.
2) And we know for SURE that the AWD does not need the larger pack in order to get 353 rated miles of range.
3) And we know that this was a new denser cell line at Tesla for the Performance pack, and is likely capacity limited.
4) We know that the available unlocked energy in the 2021 AWD is currently about 77.5kWh in the US, nearly exactly the same as it has been in prior years.

But we don't know whether, in spite of the GF capacity issues with the new cells, Tesla decided to unnecessarily (it's totally not needed) place the "82kWh" (not necessarily 82kWh) pack in the normal AWD non-P vehicles. It seems like they wouldn't, but we don't know. But in the future I wouldn't be surprised if they do put the larger packs in all Model 3 LR vehicles. If the new cells are denser, with no actual downside (safety or longevity, etc.) there's eventually going to be no reason to even make the lower capacity cells.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can one assume that because the heat pump also dissipates heat, should this have an impact on energy usage when cooling the car?
Not directly, air conditioning is already a single mode heat pump.
The new heat rejection setup of refrigerant to coolant condenser and coolant to air radiator may be more efficient though.

Reactions: adregia