Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Performance 18" Winter Tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PITA

Model 3 Performance
Sep 2, 2021
West Midlands, UK
First of all, I'm SORRY šŸ„°

I've searched and searched and just going around in circles... there seems to be so many variations of stories that I'm not getting anywhere.

Can you please help. I'm looking for a set of 18" Winter Wheels set for my 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance in the UK... West Midlands...

The 20" Uberturbines are great, but I'm going to store them over Winter. So ideally want a replacement set of 18" for winter.

I've read that the 20" Uberturbines are 20" x 9J with Offset 34, PCD 5 x 114.3 and Centre Bore 64.1mm

I'm not on Facebook... so can't easily chase down "Gavin" ??

Is there anywhere in the UK somebody could please point me in the right direction for a set of Winter Wheels, Tyres and TPMS Sensors?

What size wheels do I need?

18 x 8.5J
Offset : 35
PCD : 5 x 114.3
CB : 64.1
Tyre Size : 235 /45 - 18"

Does that all look right? I've read that the 2021 Performance model don't use the 433mhz TPMS Sensors, but have a Bluetooth system? Also, I've read that the new Performance Model has some weird 3mm lip on the hub (preventing some aftermarket wheels fitting correctly).

So can anybody help please?

Thanks šŸ„°šŸ˜‡

First of all, I'm SORRY šŸ„°

I've searched and searched and just going around in circles... there seems to be so many variations of stories that I'm not getting anywhere.

Can you please help. I'm looking for a set of 18" Winter Wheels set for my 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance in the UK... West Midlands...

The 20" Uberturbines are great, but I'm going to store them over Winter. So ideally want a replacement set of 18" for winter.

I've read that the 20" Uberturbines are 20" x 9J with Offset 34, PCD 5 x 114.3 and Centre Bore 64.1mm

I'm not on Facebook... so can't easily chase down "Gavin" ??

Is there anywhere in the UK somebody could please point me in the right direction for a set of Winter Wheels, Tyres and TPMS Sensors?

What size wheels do I need?

18 x 8.5J
Offset : 35
PCD : 5 x 114.3
CB : 64.1
Tyre Size : 235 /45 - 18"

Does that all look right? I've read that the 2021 Performance model don't use the 433mhz TPMS Sensors, but have a Bluetooth system? Also, I've read that the new Performance Model has some weird 3mm lip on the hub (preventing some aftermarket wheels fitting correctly).

So can anybody help please?

Thanks šŸ„°šŸ˜‡
If you PM me your email, Iā€™ll pass it on to Gavin if you wish?

Reactions: PITA
Tesla sell an official wheel and tyre set with Sottozero tyres for Ā£1800 inc VAT. Contact your local Service centre and they will order them in for you. Takes about 10-14 days. Mine arrived more quickly than that.
Hmm.... well, I've just had a very interesting conversation with a Tesla employee (won't go into any more details...)

But they we're very reluctant to provide any information or supply on a downgrade of wheel size for Tesla Model 3 Performance.

He said the Performance has such a high torque delivery, Tesla do not want to to downsize the wheelset for this car. Because the 18" Tyre sidewalls would be too big, and once warm they run the risk of torsional damage, especially on softer Winter Tyre moulds...

Bullshit or not, honestly, that makes sense to me...

He recommended I just get the Tyres swapped over to Winter Tyres and keep the 20" Uberturbines on the Car...

Interesting...

Reactions: Neilio
Hmm.... well, I've just had a very interesting conversation with a Tesla employee (won't go into any more details...)

But they we're very reluctant to provide any information or supply on a downgrade of wheel size for Tesla Model 3 Performance.

He said the Performance has such a high torque delivery, Tesla do not want to to downsize the wheelset for this car. Because the 18" Tyre sidewalls would be too big, and once warm they run the risk of torsional damage, especially on softer Winter Tyre moulds...

Bullshit or not, honestly, that makes sense to me...

He recommended I just get the Tyres swapped over to Winter Tyres and keep the 20" Uberturbines on the Car...

Interesting...
So, what Tesla are saying is that the tyrewall canā€™t cope with the potential mechanical grip the tread can generate from the same tyre? Iā€™m calling BS on that one.
Canā€™t imagine a tyre will lunch itā€™s own sidewall before itā€™s own tread loses grip and starts to spin on the road.

So, what Tesla are saying is that the tyrewall canā€™t cope with the potential mechanical grip the tread can generate from the same tyre? Iā€™m calling BS on that one.
Canā€™t imagine a tyre will lunch itā€™s own sidewall before itā€™s own tread loses grip and starts to spin on the road.
Furthermore, cars can generate a lot more G braking than accelerating, and tyre walls donā€™t usually give out on that basis. So, again, calling BS on the Tesla rep thereā€¦

They said the Winter tyre sidewall can't safely cope with the tortional rotation that a Model 3 Performance can subject it to, especially when the tyre is warm.

Tesla won't stand by it as being safe, as they're concerned about blowouts...

... that's what I was told.

Tyres I understand, but what's the rationale for changing the alloys? Just more cost effective to get 18" alloys & tyres than 20" winter tyres?

I have space to store wheelsets... it's easier for me to have a spare wheelset and just swap them over myself. Already balanced and fitted.

It gives me the flexibility at zero changeover costs, to mix and match at short notice if I want to. All at home.

Swapping Winter wheels over is what I've always done, only takes me 30 minutes. I normally just buy a steel wheelset in the past.

Reactions: Durzel
Furthermore, cars can generate a lot more G braking than accelerating, and tyre walls donā€™t usually give out on that basis. So, again, calling BS on the Tesla rep thereā€¦

Ok I hear you... but here's the thing...

In a Tesla Model 3 Performance, how many times do you brake at G-force levels on Winter tyres? Who goes racing on Winter tyres??

Same question but now for G-force Sprint Starts? We all know the model 3 is nearly two tonnes in weight, and can still dump power for a sub 4 second sprint even in the cold and wet.

It can still do 162mph on the motorway as well, with Winter tyres on.

What then happens with a Winter tyre still on your car at the end of Winter... March sunshine on the tyres, softening up nicely... but then you boot your 2 tonne car off the line another 10 times that day.

... or worse still, after the Winter tyre is now 5 years old having been stored each season.

Question really is... are Winter tyres as strong as regular tyres?

Last edited:
... by the way... even if the Tesla guy is correct.

All this is very easily fixed.

Just swap your car power into 'COMFORT' mode during Winter tyre use.

Then back into 'SPORT' when Summer tyres go back on.

The only question then, is will Insurance Companies stand by you if Tesla won't... and don't recommend it.

Last edited:
Ok I hear you... but here's the thing...

In a Tesla Model 3 Performance, how many times do you brake at G-force levels on Winter tyres? Who goes racing on Winter tyres??

Same question but now for G-force Sprint Starts? We all know the model 3 is nearly two tonnes in weight, and can still dump power for a sub 4 second sprint even in the cold and wet.

It can still do 162mph on the motorway as well, with Winter tyres on.

What then happens with a Winter tyre still on your car at the end of Winter... March sunshine on the tyres, softening up nicely... but then you boot your 2 tonne car off the line another 10 times that day.

... or worse still, after the Winter tyre is now 5 years old having been stored each season.

Question really is... are Winter tyres as strong as regular tyres?
Youā€™re implying the rubber is the structural component in the tyre. It isnā€™t. Most winter tyres have the same structural makeup as normal summer tyres - aramid fibres and steel wire. The softer rubber compound is not ā€˜night and dayā€™ difference between summer and winter - itā€™s sufficiently softer to maintain flexibility below 7degC - regarded as the transition point between summer and winter tyres.

Your argument about not standing up to Tesla Model 3 Performance doesnā€™t stand up to scrutiny either. Braking will always generate more longitudinal G and the difference between the Performace and LR isnā€™t that significant as to rule out winter tyres on the M3P that are widely available for the LR (and Performance).

Itā€™s a quick EV (so is the LR), but itā€™s not a dragster. Modern winter tyres can easily cut it. And anyway, who drives at 10/10ths in the winter anyway? Anyway, winter tyres are about braking more than accelerating. Going is part of it sure, but real value in winter tyres is the ability to turn and stop.

Your Tesla contact is not making any sense.

Reactions: pdk42
I got these ones from Evquip - 18ā€ with winter tyres and including the tps for Ā£1350. Very pleased with them.

Attachments

• 8CF5B89B-140A-4DC4-836C-6398A050FA6C.jpeg
    8CF5B89B-140A-4DC4-836C-6398A050FA6C.jpeg
    486.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 7346DC98-5A19-4F26-BE8C-20F0C05E5390.jpeg
    7346DC98-5A19-4F26-BE8C-20F0C05E5390.jpeg
    987.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 2D16E0BC-95B8-431D-8DBC-B3D643F6300D.jpeg
    2D16E0BC-95B8-431D-8DBC-B3D643F6300D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 125
Youā€™re implying the rubber is the structural component in the tyre. It isnā€™t. Most winter tyres have the same structural makeup as normal summer tyres - aramid fibres and steel wire. The softer rubber compound is not ā€˜night and dayā€™ difference between summer and winter - itā€™s sufficiently softer to maintain flexibility below 7degC - regarded as the transition point between summer and winter tyres.

Your argument about not standing up to Tesla Model 3 Performance doesnā€™t stand up to scrutiny either. Braking will always generate more longitudinal G and the difference between the Performace and LR isnā€™t that significant as to rule out winter tyres on the M3P that are widely available for the LR (and Performance).

Itā€™s a quick EV (so is the LR), but itā€™s not a dragster. Modern winter tyres can easily cut it. And anyway, who drives at 10/10ths in the winter anyway? Anyway, winter tyres are about braking more than accelerating. Going is part of it sure, but real value in winter tyres is the ability to turn and stop.

Your Tesla contact is not making any sense.
It's not an argument, I'm not arguing :p

It's what a Tesla employee told me today when I phoned asking for pricing for Winter Tyres.

Make your own enquiry, and argue your point to them directly...

So why do Tesla not recommend 18" Winter Tyres on a Model 3 Performance, I was trying to understand why they would think or say that.

... and my question stands, if Tesla don't recommend it, no matter what you think or say... would an Insurance Company stand by a claim if needed when Tesla won't?

I've been using Goodyear Ultragrip Performance winter tyres on 18* TSportline wheels on my M3P for the last two winters without issue. I've probably driven 5k mile in total on these tyres. The differences I have noticed to the Michelin PS4S summer tyres on 20" wheels are a slight tuck in when accelerating around bends, which a suspension expert has put down to a slight flexing of the higher profile side walls and a smoother ride. Performance winter tyres from a respected tyre company are likely to be a pretty safe choice and its not as if the M3P is that heavy for a modern sports saloon. Mine has be weight at 1840 kg which is close to the weight of a BMW M4.

Incidentally I would recommend TSportline flow forged 18" wheels which are strong and light. They come from the USA and mine were delivered in 3 days.