Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Performance Ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone so I recently made a order on a model 3 performance and wanted know if ownership worth it due to not having a tesla charger at home my garage has a 120v outlet
and I’m 6 miles away from supercharger and not sure how much it cost to use a supercharger I recently sold my 2019 Dodge Charger scat pack due to gas and other issues would really like honest advice if it worth me to take delivery of a tesla.

Attachments

• 3CD902EE-EC3A-470A-A9AB-0E91E38FEFBA.jpeg
    3CD902EE-EC3A-470A-A9AB-0E91E38FEFBA.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 146
Define “worth it” to you.

What are the electricity costs where you live?
How many miles are you driving per week?
Do the math and figure out the cost.
110V charging is incredibly inefficient, slow, and will cost more.
Supercharging fees are along the lines of .30 per kWh which is higher than most residential electric rates

And are you prepared to deal with the inconvenience of charging slowly at your home, waiting for a supercharger stall, and dealing with Tesla’s customer service?

All are things to consider.

How much do you drive, and how often?

If you work from home, or you rarely drive enough that 3 miles a hour charging (which is the speed you get from 120v) won't meet your need, then you'd probably be just fine with the 120v plug and maybe hitting the supercharger on the rare occasion you need a faster charge.

But if you drive more than that on any regular basis, and own the house and plan to live there for years, just get a 240V plug installed in the garage, then a $35 adapter from Tesla will let you charge it with the charger that comes with the car about 10x faster than the 120v will (about 30 miles of range added per hour)

Reactions: Rocky_H

Supercharging fees are along the lines of .30 per kWh which is higher than most residential electric rates

And are you prepared to deal with the inconvenience of charging slowly at your home, waiting for a supercharger stall, and dealing with Tesla’s customer service?

Hi there thank you for replying so I drive 7 miles to work and live in Daly City California nearest supercharger at serramonte mall which is 6 miles away from me I do drive a lot around Bay Area mostly city driving I do miss my Dodge Charger but was paying 80+ for gas and last for 4-5 days

How much do you drive, and how often?

If you work from home, or you rarely drive enough that 3 miles a hour charging (which is the speed you get from 120v) won't meet your need, then you'd probably be just fine with the 120v plug and maybe hitting the supercharger on the rare occasion you need a faster charge.

But if you drive more than that on any regular basis, and own the house and plan to live there for years, just get a 240V plug installed in the garage, then a $35 adapter from Tesla will let you charge it with the charger that comes with the car about 10x faster than the 120v will (about 30 miles of range added per hour)
Unfortunately no I only have 120v outlet at home and can’t put any other upgrade outlets due to HOA at my townhome is ownership worth it if I had to use a supercharger frequent it is 6 miles away from were I live.

You own your home?

Get a level 2 charger installed. Period. Don’t look back. You only need a dryer outlet added (240v outlet). Any electrician can do it. You don’t have to get an actual Tesla charger.
You own your home?

Get a level 2 charger installed. Period. Don’t look back. You only need a dryer outlet added (240v outlet). Any electrician can do it. You don’t have to get an actual Tesla charger.
Yes I own my townhome but my local HOA won’t let me get a charger installed I can only use my 120v what in my garage.

I don’t mind waiting at a supercharger not sure if it degrades the battery life if I use it frequently the nearest charger is 6 miles away from me and I only have 120 v in my garage my daily driving to work is 7 miles and I do city driving on my free time I was paying 80 dollars 4-5 days for full tank on my Dodge Charger.

Unfortunately no I only have 120v outlet at home and can’t put any other upgrade outlets due to HOA at my townhome is ownership worth it if I had to use a supercharger frequent it is 6 miles away from were I live.

You're in California, your HOA can't stop you. The law requires them to allow it.

120v is plenty if you're only driving to work and back 7 miles each way- you'd get that back in 5 hours plugged into 120v which presumably is less time than you spend sleeping at night.

If you drive LOT more on a regular basis, just get the 240v charger installed.

You CAN use the supercharger, but it'll be cheaper in the long run to get the 240 unless you plan to move in the near future.

Even using the Supercharger though I expect you'd be paying significantly less to fuel the Tesla than the Dodge, and getting a lot better performance from the vehicle while you're at it.

Reactions: Rocky_H
If ur normal commute is 14 miles round trip and ur home 8-12hrs out of work, then the standard outlet would work. But adding a 240v outlet to any breaker on a house built after 1960 should be a breeze. 500-1000 bucks. Once. Any certified electrician will have no problem; even easier and cheaper if your breaker is in the garage (which it may be...)

And with EVs being more and more the norm, you will actually have an advantage when you sell the house by being able to say you have valid level 2 charging in the garage.

The level 2 charger 240v will get you 18-30 mi/he of charge. And allow you to charge for when you do take longer trips. The cost of using supercharger once a week would be recouped after 5y, but the convenience of never having to go to the supercharger is much more valuable.

As far as worth it, seems like you haven’t driven one. This thing is insane.

I also don’t see how the HOA could stop you from installing a 240V. You could even make the argument that it’s for placing your washer dryer in there...

not to mention what is above. They have to let you. You don’t need a Tesla charger. Just the outlet and a 35 dollar adapter.

You own your home?

Unfortunately
If ur normal commute is 14 miles round trip and ur home 8-12hrs out of work, then the standard outlet would work. But adding a 240v outlet to any breaker on a house built after 1960 should be a breeze. 500-1000 bucks. Once. Any certified electrician will have no problem; even easier and cheaper if your breaker is in the garage (which it may be...)

And with EVs being more and more the norm, you will actually have an advantage when you sell the house by being able to say you have valid level 2 charging in the garage.

The level 2 charger 240v will get you 18-30 mi/he of charge. And allow you to charge for when you do take longer trips. The cost of using supercharger once a week would be recouped after 5y, but the convenience of never having to go to the supercharger is much more valuable.

As far as worth it, seems like you haven’t driven one. This thing is insane.
I have drove model 3 performance this is coming from owner of a Dodge Charger scat pack v8 is way faster and torque and acceleration is amazing my only concern is to save more money than my dodge and accessibility to supercharge frequently.

Unfortunately

I have drove model 3 performance this is coming from owner of a Dodge Charger scat pack v8 is way faster and torque and acceleration is amazing my only concern is to save more money than my dodge and accessibility to supercharge frequently.

You should save a lot of money. The maintenance is pretty much nil. Ya from a dig the m3p will smoke most cars. Just don't race anything decent from a roll lol.

Yes thank you I just want get a
You're in California, your HOA can't stop you. The law requires them to allow it.

120v is plenty if you're only driving to work and back 7 miles each way- you'd get that back in 5 hours plugged into 120v which presumably is less time than you spend sleeping at night.

You CAN use the supercharger, but it'll be cheaper in the long run to get the 240 unless you plan to move in the near future.

Even using the Supercharger though I expect you'd be paying significantly less to fuel the Tesla than the Dodge, and getting a lot better performance from the vehicle while you're at it

Even using the Supercharger though I expect you'd be paying significantly less to fuel the Tesla than the Dodge, and getting a lot better performance from the vehicle while you're at it.
yes thank you I just want get into a fun vehicle with performance and speed without paying so much for gas like my Dodge Charger this will be my first EV vehicle and don’t know how ownership is and if it is convenient.

“ I do miss my Dodge Charger”
Get the Tesla. You won’t miss the slow car. 😎

people dont buy the scatpack because it is quick. In fact, its like the slowest charger out there isnt it.

They buy the scatpack because they want big engine, manual transmission and no annoying supercharger. Also the scatpack makes more torque than a Tesla when in the powerband.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can put the money you save on the Model 3 Performance (like 15-16k USD?) (I am just gonna assume you arent gonna buy the SR) and put that in a dividend fund and use that to buy petrol. if that is your primary motivation.

Reactions: Sean808
As you should at those speeds :cool:
Yeah. Was more responding to the dont roll race anything decent comment.

This thing is absurd fast to 100. After that, yeah, big money HP will run you down and pass you. But on the street? Man... kinda foolish to be racing past triple digits anyhow... unless you wanna go to jail or have no regard for your own life or the lives of those around you. (I happen to wanna avoid jail, death, personal injury, or others being harmed)

Reactions: Sean808 and oreobbq
Status
Not open for further replies.