Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if you got this problem fixed yet or not? But my Plaid developed the same issue about three weeks after delivery. And in my case it turned out to be the radar sensor that went bad. But.. my SC team had trouble simply replacing the radar with a new part. And they ended up spending days talking with Fremont engineers and looking at data dumps before somebody realized what the problem was with replacing the sensor. Apparently when the new exact part replacement is installed, there is still a "Factory Mode" routine that needs to be run before the radar calibration is done, to tell the car what brand of radar sensor is installed. Otherwise when the calibration for the new sensor is done, the car defaults to the wrong setting and thinks it trying to talk to another brand of radar sensor?

This is how my SC described the fix to me after a couple of days working on this problem. So just thought I throw the info out here in case it might help someone else. My visualizations, cruise control, and FSD do indeed work perfectly after this fix.. FWIW
I appreciate that, thank you. The problem has seemingly resolved itself, at least short term. But I have had the parking sensors stop working probably 3-4 times until a restart. So I bet it's all linked together and I would not be surprised at all if my car has the same issue as yours. I'm in wait and see mode at the moment, but if it happens again I will reference your info. Thank you!

You have FW 24.2 right?
I think a later version.
No. You have an older version: 2021.12.25.5. Not the required 2021.24.2 version. (Your version is from week 12, the version with Autopark is from week 24.)
Car not showing update available. Also, had other issue and service center “pushed full software package” last week whatever that is. I’m thinking at my age this was just to much technology all at once.😂

I think a later version.

Car not showing update available. Also, had other issue and service center “pushed full software package” last week whatever that is. I’m thinking at my age this was just to much technology all at once.😂
For what it is worth, 2021.12 is earlier than 2021.24. 2021.24 came out two weeks ago. 2021.12 came out June 29th, 2021.24 came out August 3rd.

For what it is worth, 2021.12 is earlier than 2021.24. 2021.24 came out two weeks ago. 2021.12 came out June 29th, 2021.24 came out August 3rd.
That’s handy. I had my car indoors for about 3 weeks with no WiFi and little cell coverage at my PPF installers. I read in manual you can’t call to request an update. Never played with advanced button for updates maybe that does something.

Have any refresh S’s gotten 24.2? Got minor updates since my 7/6 delivery but nothing in the past two weeks. Been checking constantly and still at 12.25.

I think a later version.

Maybe a table would help you understand how the version numbers work:

Version String
Year
Week
Revision
Sub-revision
2021​
12​
25​
5​
2021​
24​
2​

All version released from the week 24 code base are newer than the revisions based on the week 12 code.

And then of course that Tesla doesn't update all vehicles at the same time. They release updates in batches, often linked to specific configurations.

Reactions: cwanja
Another new one. From 8/1121 to 8/13/21 my USB shows that there are 821 sentry mode events over 7,000 individual camera clips. 491 being last night alone. It looks like lights flashed every second and took a clip. My camera continues to record for exactly 59 minutes every time I get out of the car. I try to turn off recording and it just turns right back on. Only way to turn off is unplug USB. Also, just tried a long press on recording and that worked. This is starting to officially suck 🍋

Last edited:
My issue list, all got resolved same-day at my local Tesla service center which was itself an awesome hassle-free experience:
  • Driver side door handle gets stuck in extended position
  • Front driver side fender internal insulation is loose - hard to catch this one, but open your frunk, look inside of your front fender near the lid piston. I found some insulation loose in there.
  • Front driver side fender/bumper interface juts out a little bit, probably about 2-3 mm
  • Rubber lining inside rear passenger doors looks like they need additional adhesive at the corner - by design apparently to ensure proper water drainage
  • Paint chip on trunk lid corner
  • Passenger-side rear wheel well has trim sticking out
  • Frunk lid standoffs not touching body on one side
  • Jiggly driver-side side mirror
  • Yoke wormie - apparently something to do with how the thing breaks open for the airbag? Anyway, I don't mind wormie.

My issue list, all got resolved same-day at my local Tesla service center which was itself an awesome hassle-free experience:
  • Front driver side fender internal insulation is loose - hard to catch this one, but open your frunk, look inside of your front fender near the lid piston. I found some insulation loose in there.
  • Front driver side fender/bumper interface juts out a little bit, probably about 2-3 mm
  • Rubber lining inside rear passenger doors looks like they need additional adhesive at the corner - by design apparently to ensure proper water drainage
  • Yoke wormie - apparently something to do with how the thing breaks open for the airbag? Anyway, I don't mind wormie.
Did they do anything about the Yoke Wormie or just tell you "it's normal" (I think it is normal, just asking)

They said it's normal and an artifact of making the thing break in the right places so that the airbag is directed to the passenger vs. going off in some other direction. They said they'll note it to engineering upstream, and they also mentioned replacement ones have developed our wormie friend so replacing it won't actually solve the problem. They also said there was some tradeoff decisions leading up to the design of the yoke around making the wormie less noticeable with more material, but it increased the risk of shrapnel upon airbag deployment.

They said it's normal and an artifact of making the thing break in the right places so that the airbag is directed to the passenger vs. going off in some other direction. They said they'll note it to engineering upstream, and they also mentioned replacement ones have developed our wormie friend so replacing it won't actually solve the problem. They also said there was some tradeoff decisions leading up to the design of the yoke around making the wormie less noticeable with more material, but it increased the risk of shrapnel upon airbag deployment.
Thats total BS all other car manufacturers dont have that its a visual defect and should be replaced. Also some Model S have no worm so what gives. How i know well we manufacture those kinde of cover’s.

They fixed a paint chip same day? how?

Does anyone else's front wireless phone charger make a buzzing sound?
I officially thought it was just the car electronics, but it's definitely coming from the charging pad area.

And of course now that I'm aware, it just gets more annoying.

At least the stereo goes to 11 ;)

• Funny
LR, arachnids

Anyone experience losing miles very quickly while driving? I am starting to notice it more and more. Just today I started with 170 miles, I drove (didn’t speed) 7.7 miles and had 150 remaining. Probably going to bring this up at an upcoming appointment. Y’all think it’s worth it?

My LR seems to want to default to 50% charge level. I keep setting it at 80, it holds for a random length of time, then goes back to 50. Once charging is initiated, it stays at 80. Only seems to be when waiting to charge ( i have reduced rates at 8pm so i set that as start time ).Anyone else seen this?