Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any thoughts whether issues/build quality is better for Plaids?

I am at a crossroads between taking the LR or the Plaid that I reserved.
Clock is ticking…
The Plaid EDD is 9/11-9/23
The LR EDD is 9/17-9/30

Both Red 19” Wheels Black interiors
Plaid is Carbon Fiber
Both are $10k below current pricing
Plaid is an additional $2k below Current FSD Pricing

Reactions: impastu
For those of you having trouble with the front passenger door, AKA having to use more force to close it, I recently discovered that it may not be an issue with the door alignment...

Yesterday afternoon, I had the front passenger door window all the way down and my friend got in the car and used normal force to close it and it closed perfectly fine. We compared the force it took to close the door with the window up and with the window down and it might seem the issue is more related to the window alignment or something there of... someone who has this issue should try this and let me know what they think :p

Just an update on my alignment issues that I had to take in 4 times. As this being my first Tesla, I had no idea that service centers may not be "alike". On the 4th time I took it to a different service center and they appear to have the issue fixed on the first try. The previous service center literally made things worse and I was on the verge of Lemon Law. I am reserving full judgment because the problem previously got worse over time, but I have driven about 300 miles and so far so good. I still notice that the car pulls to the left or right on certain roads, but I believe that is probably normal. It does seem with the S that at times it takes a little more "force" to keep the yoke pointing straight ahead. If anybody else can take note on that, it would be helpful. Let me know your thoughts. (Even when steering is in "comfort" mode.)
For my future reference, what service center ended up resolving it, and what service center couldn't?

Reactions: cwanja and impastu
Just an update on my alignment issues that I had to take in 4 times. As this being my first Tesla, I had no idea that service centers may not be "alike". On the 4th time I took it to a different service center and they appear to have the issue fixed on the first try. The previous service center literally made things worse and I was on the verge of Lemon Law. I am reserving full judgment because the problem previously got worse over time, but I have driven about 300 miles and so far so good. I still notice that the car pulls to the left or right on certain roads, but I believe that is probably normal. It does seem with the S that at times it takes a little more "force" to keep the yoke pointing straight ahead. If anybody else can take note on that, it would be helpful. Let me know your thoughts. (Even when steering is in "comfort" mode.)
Pay attention to the road quality. If an asphalt road with grooving from heavy trucks, the wide tires on the S will tend to track the groove and pull on the steering. If concrete road or fresh, flat asphalt, you shouldn't experience the same issue.

Clock is ticking…
The LR EDD is 9/17-9/30

Plaid is Carbon Fiber
Let me know which one ya giving me!:D

• Funny

Clock is ticking…
The LR EDD is 9/17-9/30

Plaid is Carbon Fiber
@Daniellane I have a Plaid; take the LR (better value, by far, all other things being equal)!

@Daniellane I have a Plaid; take the LR (better value, by far, all other things being equal)!
Thanks for your input.
LR makes a lot of sense at this point.
I will miss the Carbon Fiber
I still have a Founder’s Roadster reserved (2023?)
2B3A91CF-5EEE-4010-A8A8-247D92AD6748.jpeg

Thanks for your input.
View attachment 706658
@Daniellane Knowing what I know today, I would take the LR and pocket the extra $45k! Even at 3.1s to 60, it's still faster, and pulls longer, than an M3P - totally different battery pack, motors and BMS. I wish I would have gotten the LR; even more range!

Edit: You can also buy a lot of CF for $45K!

Thanks for your input.
View attachment 706658
We ordered both Plaid and LR. The Plaid might become a CF donor for the LR, as it will be our first Model S (out of 6) that we weren't able to order CF on from the factory.

It would definitely be cheaper to get the LR and either wrap it or buy and install the CF parts yourself.

Clock is ticking…
The LR EDD is 9/17-9/30

Plaid is Carbon Fiber
They do seem to be making extra effort to get the Plaids just right. I love mine and am happy that I went Plaid instead of long range. My opinion: definitely Plaid as long as you can afford the difference. Also, I have posted about problems with my wood so carbon fiber solves that issue.

Last edited:
For those of you having trouble with the front passenger door, AKA having to use more force to close it, I recently discovered that it may not be an issue with the door alignment...

Yesterday afternoon, I had the front passenger door window all the way down and my friend got in the car and used normal force to close it and it closed perfectly fine. We compared the force it took to close the door with the window up and with the window down and it might seem the issue is more related to the window alignment or something there of... someone who has this issue should try this and let me know what they think :p
The double-pane window is heavy A F... makes up almost half the weight of the entire door. Having it down significantly pulls down the center of gravity, which probably changes the angle at which the striker impacts the lock.

I would be surprised if its something mechanical related to the window.

Do you have an option / ability to just go park it at Tesla and say "figure it out"? Not sure if it is your only car or not.
@dennis seems to be the only one of several of us here who appears to have had the same issue (can’t say for certainty) but without knowing exactly what was done I’m in no mood to leave my car outside a SC and have it covered in bird poop, risk of damage. Even Tesla hasn’t requested the car yet from me. You’d think they’d want to solve this, but so far the level of customer service I’ve gotten is truly dreadful. None of this comes as a surprise to many here, I know.

Reactions: impastu and cwanja