Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read over the Lemon Laws here in CA. I believe I have to give Tesla 4 chances to fix my battery before I can do so. Correct me if I'm wrong please!
I REALLY don't want a different car. The minor flaws it has I can live with, but the 70kWh battery is another story.
Im hoping they can get us some new packs and we can move on with our lives.

I can’t yet. Tesla won’t take my car in, it’s still in my possession, and they keep pushing out the appointment date without asking me while they “review the situation.”
I'm not a guy that jumps quickly to using a lawyer but I think that it is time for Tesla to *sugar* or get off the pot with your car. I suggest sending Tesla a certified letter that demands a properly working vehicle within X days or you will file suit without further notice. They are making this your problem and that is not right. Forcing you to keep possession is just a tactic to prevent you from accumulating service visits. Take it to them and document the refusals to accept the car into service.

Same goes for @Muzzman1

I don't understand why you don't invoke a lemon law and get a new car.

You can't lemon law a car until it meets the criteria. Normally multiple repair attempts or x days out of service. If the vehicle is safely operational and Tesla refuses to accept it because they say all is fine, you can't get a repair attempt or a day out of service to tally up to meet the requirements.

And then there is the issue of what is the problem? Is it degradation? If so the warranty won't do anything until it registers at over 30%, by Tesla's test method. And I don't think any of the effected vehicles have hit that threshold yet.

Note: With that said, I think Tesla should replace these batteries immediately. If they want to research the failure they can do that on the packs they take out on their own time.

You can't lemon law a car until it meets the criteria. Normally multiple repair attempts or x days out of service. If the vehicle is safely operational and Tesla refuses to accept it because they say all is fine, you can't get a repair attempt or a day out of service to tally up to meet the requirements.

And then there is the issue of what is the problem? Is it degradation? If so the warranty won't do anything until it registers at over 30%, by Tesla's test method. And I don't think any of the effected vehicles have hit that threshold yet.

Note: With that said, I think Tesla should replace these batteries immediately. If they want to research the failure they can do that on the packs they take out on their own time.
Maybe LL is not the way to go right now. They did not get the car they ordered. Those cars do not meet the capabilities that Tesla advertised.

Reactions: impastu
have this current issue.

I'll have to get out of the car and push on the drivers seat once or twice and then close the door and the car shuts off and walk away lock works.

Any idea how long it took for tesla to fix your issue?

Not long at all. My car did this about 70% of the time. Sometimes everything stayed on, media player, lights, A/C and sometimes just one thing stayed on. I had heard that it might be the seat sensor from someone on TMC. Once I brought it in they fixed it the same day. I think they had to take the seat out, not sure, but after they replaced the sensor it worked great. No problems since then. But, they had to order the sensor from somewhere, they didn't have it in stock so you may want to call your SC and ask if they do and get an appointment to bring it in.

I think part of it for me is being yes - not happy about the situation dragging on, but also really intrigued about the process itself and when Tesla will finally act to make things right for us (@dennis @Muzzman1 ). It’s a sort of bemusement alongside the fury.

If I don’t have some sort of path to resolution by the end of this week I’ll have entered the next phase of disappointment, though, and will need to really push.

Yep. They’re all like that. It vibrates (driver’s side) on the highway. Even people who have had it replaced state it didn’t fix the issue. Likely needs a small part redesign. How on EARTH did Tesla not notice this before release? Some of this stuff literally (I mean literally, literally) boggles my mind.

With the number of very obvious issues, the side view glass shaking, the misaligned interior rear door trim, the glass distortion, it's almost like they didn't even test drive these things.

Btw - has anyone had the glass distortion 100% fixed with replacement glass?

With the number of very obvious issues, the side view glass shaking, the misaligned interior rear door trim, the glass distortion, it's almost like they didn't even test drive these things.

Which glass? The rear glass on all Model S has the distortion at the bottom. I’m not aware of anyone getting that glass replaced (I think it would be futile at this stage).

The side windows (up front at least) all have the hall of mirrors effect (at least it’s uniformly distorted…). The windshield should have no distortion, but I had to have mine replaced due to patches of terrible distortion right in my line of sight.

For those that think their side windows are fine, try this. Look at a tree or house out of the window, and while looking at it put your window down or up. Man, - it gives my wife a headache if she looks out of them. Le sigh.

Last edited:

I would def not replace the glass unless extremely egregious - have you seen the machines Tesla uses in the factory to install them on brand new cars? Doubt SCs are going to replace the glass to "like new" condition and who knows what else they might mess up.

Reactions: jebinc and impastu
I would def not replace the glass unless extremely egregious - have you seen the machines Tesla uses in the factory to install them on brand new cars? Doubt SCs are going to replace the glass to "like new" condition and who knows what else they might mess up.
We had our X windshield (larger and heavier than S) replaced by Tesla SC because of a rock chip. They did a great job and quick. As an aside, insurance co free glass repair may come under pressure. That X windshield job was $1600.

Does anyone have slightly loose side mirror glass? Mine wiggles along as I drive (the glass, not the whole mirror). The wiggle is just prominent enough to be annoying. I took delivery yesterday and the car has a 9/2021 build.

Yep. They’re all like that. It vibrates (driver’s side) on the highway. Even people who have had it replaced state it didn’t fix the issue. Likely needs a small part redesign. How on EARTH did Tesla not notice this before release? Some of this stuff literally (I mean literally, literally) boggles my mind.
If you guys are up for a little DIY, it might not be too difficult to fix this.

Chances are that they used ball and socket type fasteners to affix the mirror to the base. If that's the case, you might be able to pop the glass out (which would likely have the ball) of the base (probably socketed), and use a shim (like a thin piece of felt) to make the ball seat more firmly in the socket.

Yeah, yeah... I know... "that's what she said." <sigh> you guys...

It should go without saying (but I'm gonna say it anyway) to be extremely careful when removing the mirror glass from the base.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cwanja and impastu

Yeah, exactly. @WilliamG (and company)'s situation is a true nightmare, as it would be nearly impossible to invoke most state's lemon law statutes.

They are pretty much at Tesla's mercy at this point.

I think part of it for me is being yes - not happy about the situation dragging on, but also really intrigued about the process itself and when Tesla will finally act to make things right for us (@dennis @Muzzman1 ). It’s a sort of bemusement alongside the fury.

If I don’t have some sort of path to resolution by the end of this week I’ll have entered the next phase of disappointment, though, and will need to really push.
I got a call from my service advisor at the Tesla Santa Clara CA service center this morning. After a recent discussion with engineering they are going to replace the battery in my Plaid. The order has been placed and when the pack arrives it can be replaced in a short enough timespan that I can get the car back on the same day. This is good news! Hopefully the same will happen soon for @WilliamG and @Muzzman1.

I got a call from my service advisor at the Tesla Santa Clara CA service center this morning. After a recent discussion with engineering they are going to replace the battery in my Plaid. The order has been placed and when the pack arrives it can be replaced in a short enough timespan that I can get the car back on the same day. This is good news! Hopefully the same will happen soon for @WilliamG and @Muzzman1.
This is amazing news. I'm so glad they are doing the right thing.
I will wait to see how my push for a new pack goes as well.

Reading entries above--just a reminder: Be sure to put in writing at time of purchase that you are declining the arbitration provision of the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement. This will allow you to sue Tesla, if necessary, versus automatic arbitration. You need to do so by mail.

From the MVPA: "You may opt out of arbitration within 30 days after signing this Agreement by sending a letter to: Tesla, Inc.; P.O. Box 15430; Fremont, CA 94539-7970, stating your name, Vehicle Identification Number, and intent to opt out of the arbitration provision. If you do not opt out, this agreement to arbitrate overrides any different arbitration agreement between us, including any arbitration agreement in a lease or finance contract."

it just gives you option of one more potential venue for problem resolution that would not be available otherwise.