Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember when I first setup the phone key (android) the handles presented themselves only if the phone is powered on. But since getting the car back from service the handles doesn't present anymore. The handles do present with key fob though. What is the normal behavior?

Reactions: impastu
I remember when I first setup the phone key (android) the handles presented themselves only if the phone is powered on. But since getting the car back from service the handles doesn't present anymore. The handles do present with key fob though. What is the normal behavior?

They should present with either. I have about a 90% hit rate with an iPhone, but occasionally have to poke the handle to wake up the car.

@Mandarin I never liked the design/rereredesign S handles. Just crap. Iā€™d take the 3/Y manual ones any day over these.
As someone whoā€™s had both, I much prefer the self-presenting handles on the S. Never had issues in 4 years of owning my first one, and the Plaidā€™s just had one in the rear passenger door that needed to be adjusted once after delivery so it didnā€™t rub against the body. Working flawlessly since.

Finally got home to try out 2021.36.5.1 on my Plaid Model S (Born 9/9/2021)
No buzz that I was able to hear.
Love the turn signal improvements and perpendicular autopark that now works for spaces that arenā€™t next to other cars.
I make great efforts to park as far from other cars as possible.
I've only been able to get autopark to show up in one spot every time...which is at my daughter's school when dropping her off. But haven't been able to actually try it yet since its a line of cars at drop off and no one is really parking.

Are you getting autopark to show in a multiple areas? Do the parking lines need to be more defined?

I've only been able to get autopark to show up in one spot every time...which is at my daughter's school when dropping her off. But haven't been able to actually try it yet since its a line of cars at drop off and no one is really parking.

Are you getting autopark to show in a multiple areas? Do the parking lines need to be more defined?
Yes
Quite different than my other Teslas
It appears in the rectangle that youā€™d normally press to Park (top left corner of the screen)
You need to press and hold it to initiate it. You might need to put on some reading glasses to see the tiny ā€œpress and hold ā€œ text

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and impastu
Same problem. It's like the car is "too asleep". If I approach when it has been active very recently (like minutes ago), they present. Otherwise, I have to poke them to get them to come out. By the way, interior "dome" lights don't come on when opening the door, either, if the door handles didn't auto-present, but do come on if the handles worked.

I read through many pages of this thread but didn't see and answer. Just picked up my MSLR on Saturday. I noticed that my driver airbag light is constantly on while driving. This doesn't inhibit turning on autopilot like it would in pre-refresh which makes me think it could be software and I am on an old version 2021.31.xxx. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

The handles never present now. I always have to touch it to have it come out. Anyone else with this issue with the phone key?
Yep. (See previous post. ) I'm using android phone, by the way. Key fobs seem to work fairly reliably, but not the phone, and regardless of whether I've woken up the phone. The car does unlock, so it must be seeing the phone. Just doesn't auto-present and doesn't turn on the dome lights.

Edit: I'm on 2021.36.5.1, by the way.

Reactions: epotter and impastu
Yep. (See previous post. ) I'm using android phone, by the way. Key fobs seem to work fairly reliably, but not the phone, and regardless of whether I've woken up the phone. The car does unlock, so it must be seeing the phone. Just doesn't auto-present and doesn't turn on the dome lights.
Thereā€™s a toggle in the UI. Yours might be set on do not present.

Thereā€™s a toggle in the UI. Yours might be set on do not present.
The toggle is enabled. And, the auto-present works if the car is fully awake already. Just not if I've been away from it for like an hour, or more. Plus the dome lights matching the door handles seems like another hint about what's wrong.

As someone whoā€™s had both, I much prefer the self-presenting handles on the S. Never had issues in 4 years of owning my first one, and the Plaidā€™s just had one in the rear passenger door that needed to be adjusted once after delivery so it didnā€™t rub against the body. Working flawlessly since.
Love the door handles--one of my favorite features. Over 8 years/140K miles with my last S, had issues only twice
The handles never present now. I always have to touch it to have it come out. Anyone else with this issue with the phone key?
Its a phone key thing. IMO, the fob is superior (faster and consistent), but I like having one less thing to carry around, so I deal with it. I'd love Tesla to support Apple CarKey (not sure what the Android equivalent is called) but not holding my breath.

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
Love the door handles--one of my favorite features. Over 8 years/140K miles with my last S, had issues only twice

Its a phone key thing. IMO, the fob is superior (faster and consistent), but I like having one less thing to carry around, so I deal with it. I'd love Tesla to support Apple CarKey (not sure what the Android equivalent is called) but not holding my breath.
Do we know if the UWB antenna is actually in the refresh to support CarKey?