Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, here is something I am experiencing:
A squeaking sound coming from the right front wheel. At first, I thought it was a nail. Not a click, but a squeak. I had my son stick his head out the window like a dog and he confirmed right front. Clearly rhythmic and speed dependent: the faster I drive, the faster the squeak
Only occurs going forward. Not in reverse.
Thoughts?

Also, I hear a few seconds of rattling in the back, just as I am starting or stopping.

I don't think those tires have the foam inserts. Have you noticed any change in tire noise?
They do not have foam. I did some testing vs the 21" PS4S and they are pretty close, noise-wise:

1638156195767.png

I noticed a difference when I removed my stock 21s and put on the TSW 20" rims with PS4S (no foam). Given tire noise is one of the largest contributors to cabin noise, it was reasonably noticeable for me. I'll be looking for 20" tires with foam on the next set in the hopes of making back some of the ground I lost.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu
I noticed a difference when I removed my stock 21s and put on the TSW 20" rims with PS4S (no foam). Given tire noise is one of the largest contributors to cabin noise, it was reasonably noticeable for me. I'll be looking for 20" tires with foam on the next set in the hopes of making back some of the ground I lost.
Please let me/us know what you find. I could not find a similar tire with foam.

Reactions: jebinc
Supercharged for the first time. Sitting there during charging, I touched the YouTube app to kill some time. Immediately the car powered off and everything went dark. I rebooted using the two button and brake method. It powered back up, then crashed again before I could do a thing. The next reboot I quickly touched Spotify just to get it out of YouTube and the car continued to power up fine.

So you can’t watch YouTube while Supercharging it seems.

Tesla is reviewing the logs of my car to see why this happened. They did notice my car failed to install the 2021.40 update, even though my car itself shows that it successfully installed it. Very strange stuff with this techmobile. Still LOVE it though!

They do not have foam. I did some testing vs the 21" PS4S and they are pretty close, noise-wise:

View attachment 738478
I have noticed a clear difference from 19" PS4S to 19" PSAS4. However, it is highly dependent on road surface. Smooth/new asphalt is quiet on both, but a surface that been roughed up by studded tires is distinctly loader on the ASs. I don't know if it the lack of foam inserts or something about the tread pattern interacting with the rougher pavement. But, it is night-and-day.

I tested this, and the upper round speakers on pillars are only active if immersive sound is turned on.
What software version are you on? I get no sound out of the circular ones with 2021.36.8.6 with Immersive Sound enabled. Hearing reports these speakers were only just enabled in 2021.40.6.

Also, do we know if the passenger side “microphone” rectangle does anything? I tested while on a phone call and the driver’s side does, of course, work, but passenger side seems not to do anything. I wonder if it’s just there for symmetry?

Last edited:
Also, do we know if the passenger side “microphone” rectangle does anything? I tested while on a phone call and the driver’s side does, of course, work, but passenger side seems not to do anything. I wonder if it’s just there for symmetry?
It's probably there for noise cancellation, whenever that gets enabled. It's probably measuring noise as close as possible to your ears, and then it will try to cancel the sound for drivers and passengers.