Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, Chase & Bank of America.

Also, just confirming - payments from multiple bank accounts work, right?
I was trying to make a test $5 payment today when I was adding my chase bank account. But I couldn't find an option on Plaid to type the amount to pay, it was defaulting to full payment.. ;/
I figure we can wire to Tesla - don't want to give them my account number(s) for ACH - don't trust Tesla in that regard due to previous mistakes. Their payment page does state you can pay from multiple accounts but that could be out of date now too.

Hi all, long time lurker here. Ordered 04/01 lr white/black 19s no fsd. This is my first tesla and wanted to post my experience. First off, the Edd, it has been mostly non existent until end of july then it started showing August, then a sep date range popped just as everyone saw ranges. So didn’t experience what others did with ever changing and disappearing dates and ranges. Vin was assigned last week of August, had enough time to get the loan process sorted out and finally setup the pickup today. Picked up the vehicle from the delivery lot. Couple of minor issues, but otherwise all good with the car. Interiror, except for that worm on steering wheel , rest is fine. Exterior could have used a thorough cleaning but in the grand scheme of things not a big deal.I got the S as i test drove the prior refresh model and liked it. I was so looking forward to this car and was very excited and now its a mixed feeling. Car dynamics are good but the yoke made it a hellish experience to drive this car. All my complaints are withe yoke. Otherwise the car is good. As others said, i was expecting a learnings curve and was mentally prepared to use the yoke,even occasionally practicing driving my current car with just the bottom part. IMO, i agree with the articles that said ‘yoke is a big joke’. When those articles came out, I thought they were overreacting and it would be fine. Zero practicality what so ever and even an onroad safety risk. It just took away the experience of owning a 90k car. The rectangle steering bottom doesnt fit right in my hands, this is mostly subjective i guess. But everytime i try to use turn signals, i end up manually turning them off when changing lanes. I couldn’t get light tap to work and ended up with hard tap so the signals just stayed on until turned off. Also note that i had to take my eyes away from the road to locate these stupid things. I accidentally hit wrong direction a few times looking like an idiot to other drivers on the road. On the other side , turned on wipers multiple times unintentionally and honked too while taking turns . Turned high beams on without even my knowledge. My hand must have grazed the touch sensitive button as i took a u turn. Rectangular bottom part when doing >90 turns is just awkward.

bottom line, hopefully someone release a round steering wheel for the model s. Else i have to think about keeping this car. Which is hard to think as i was looking forward to this for few months.

if you know of a round steering options from 3p sellers, please let me know. Cant post a picture yet as i m new to this group.

thank you all for reading through this rant. I should have waited to test drive this but didn’t and encourage folks who are on the fence about yoke to test drive and then make a decision.
Thank you all.
day 4 with the LR here...and i find the yoke superior to the round wheel. i love turning with it , love the buttons over stalks, cruising straight is easier thanks to the width, etc etc..and i'm in my mid 50's.

when i read negative stories i feel like its fake news!

day 4 with the LR here...and i find the yoke superior to the round wheel. i love turning with it , love the buttons over stalks, cruising straight is easier thanks to the width, etc etc..and i'm in my mid 50's.

when i read negative stories i feel like its fake news!
Thanks for posting this. Can you please confirm if the yoke can tilt and telescope like a normal steering wheel? If so, is it easy to find a comfortable position for it?

The consumer reports article that came out today makes a few references to painful hands after driving with the yoke, and I don't recall anyone posting similar experiences on this forum.

Reactions: Pdubs
RN1144 - Jan 29 order date - MSLR Black/Cream 19" FSD (Denver, CO) - No VIN

EDD:
Way back was March but went blank for a long long time
Finally updated after the article and the email to all of us.
Aug 10: Sept 19 - 30
Aug 16: Sept 17 - 30
Aug 17: Sept 15 - 30
Sept 12: Sept 23 - 30
Sept 17: Sept 26 - 30

SA at Tesla told me their prediction is "late September into October".

Not thinking I'll get it this month, especially with no VIN.

I’m actually more worried about not having the creep option for parking, than having the yoke. Using the gas pedal to get out of a tight parallel park situation sounds stressful!

I hear that the creep option is not available in the refresh S.
Loved the creep mode on my 2017 75D, especially with stop & go traffic. Hope enough people let Tesla know & maybe they’ll bring it back.

Thanks for posting this. Can you please confirm if the yoke can tilt and telescope like a normal steering wheel? If so, is it easy to find a comfortable position for it?

The consumer reports article that came out today makes a few references to painful hands after driving with the yoke, and I don't recall anyone posting similar experiences on this forum.
Yes. Check out page 47 of the manual.

• Informative
Reactions: MEL-22
My EDD has been 9/24-9/30 for a week (before it was 9/26-/9/30 and prior to that mid October). I haven't received a VIN and redid my financing last Saturday when the date changed. No VIN. I decided to email an SA @ our local service center to ask if he could check to see if these dates were accurate. He replied "I've reviewed your account and based on the tentative build times, it appears that you'll be taking delivery of your Model S in Mid-Late November. I've been seeing customer accounts updating with different delivery ranges for the last couple of days. I'll be sure to update you if I see any further movement."

So what does that really mean? I can see what my EDD says and I see others receiving VINs around the same time I ordered and picking up at the end of month ... Do they even really know?????
Going to be the bad news bear here. But given that you are on the East Coast, I would have to suspect you would already have a VIN due to logistics and getting you the car for an end of the month delivery. Is November realistic? Who knows. I just find it hard to imagine a July order will make delivery in the same quarter. You might see a lot of CA, AZ, Oregon, Utah, Nevada, etc. states getting VINs from orders in July and August. And that is strictly from an easy logistics plus to pad end of the number quarters for Tesla.

Reactions: Danlbrau
Those who have driven the MSLR can you please post about the handling of the car in tight under ground multi level parking garages or narrow city streets? Is the width going to be a problem when the car turns in those tight city garages? TIA.

Reactions: MEL-22
Going to be the bad news bear here. But given that you are on the East Coast, I would have to suspect you would already have a VIN due to logistics and getting you the car for an end of the month delivery. Is November realistic? Who knows. I just find it hard to imagine a July order will make delivery in the same quarter. You might see a lot of CA, AZ, Oregon, Utah, Nevada, etc. states getting VINs from orders in July and August. And that is strictly from an easy logistics plus to pad end of the number quarters for Tesla.
I'm 30mi from Fremont, 1148, Red black 19. No VIN yet. My EDD is Sept 19 to 30 but my SA said it shows Oct to Nov on her end.

Some of these EDD may be just to appease us.

I can vouch for using Chase via Plaid and it being immediate. I hadn’t even logged in on my phone before getting there and it took maybe 2 minutes
Did the payment show on your account immediately? I got the payment email on Monday at 6:45pm and immediately paid it, but it didn’t clear my B of A account until Wednesday. So it apparently went thru as an ACH Tuesday and cleared Wednesday.

I think you have to spend some more time with the yolk. We have all driven vehicles with round steering wheels since we obtained our driver's license, so this is a big change. There is a learning curve and it requires one to change their driving style (how you hold the yolk, etc.)

Your muscle memory will improve after time and you will find it easier to locate the turn signals buttons and develop easier ways to make u-turns, etc.

I have no issues with the yolk, but I also don't think it's any better than a traditional wheel, save for the unobstructed view of the instrument display, that would still be visible with a traditional steering wheel.

My wife has not driven my car with the yolk as much as I have, so she is still not comfortable with it and is not a fan.

SO while I am neutral on the stalkless yolk, I do feel one needs to spend several days and many miles with it before forming a final opinion. A test drive unfortunately, will probably not be enough.
Absolutely! We have had our new Model S for two weeks, and are adapting to the yoke much more easily than I would have guessed. (We ordered pre-refresh in January, and considering cancelling our order when we first heard about the yoke.)

There is no way that a short test drive would be long enough to get accustomed to the yoke. It simply takes time to get used to something so different to the steering wheel that most all drivers are used to. You need time to experiment with what works for you in different situations, and you will definitely feel like an uncomfortable 15-year-old with a learner’s permit for a while.

Don't know if this has been reported previously, but I wanted to order Weathertech mats for my incoming LR; the order screen lists '2021' as an option but to be sure I sent a note to their customer service email. This is the response:

Thank you for contacting WeatherTech.

Unfortunately, we do not currently offer Floor Liners or a Cargo Liner for the 2021.5 Tesla Model S. At the moment we only offer products for the 2021 model and have not done testing yet to see if those products will fit the 2021.5 model. The parts are in the earliest stages of production and there is no current timetable for when it will be available for sale. I am sorry for the inconvenience. If you have any further questions/concerns please feel free to let us know.

Have a great day.

Not sure why they have 2021 as an option given that only the Plaid and LR versions shipped in 2021 (unless they mean the cars shipped at the end of 2020 with a 2021 model year VIN).

Has anyone with a new car found a comparable all-weather mat set for their car?
Yes; order the floor mats directly from Tesla: They apparently are made by WeatherTech, according to the sticker on the box that just arrived.

Attachments

• 249B377E-95C9-48BE-9287-48976DE72F4B.jpeg
    249B377E-95C9-48BE-9287-48976DE72F4B.jpeg
    472.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Informative
Reactions: SoCalDude
Sorry to hear about your experience. For me, the yoke is not a big deal. Do I love it? Not yet. Do I hate it? Not at all. Do I think it’s cool as sugar? Yep. And I’ve gotten used to the turn signals as well. As most have written, the yoke is probably not necessary, but for me it in no way takes away from the thrill of the driving experience or the environmental benefits. It’s certainly a personal assessment for everyone, and wanted to add my assessment. I’m a first time EV owner in mid 50s.

For anyone on the fence in SE PA, please feel free to DM me. I’d be happy to let you test drive so you see if you can live with the yoke before you purchase.
Glad to see they are hitting SE Pa. When did you order yours? Ordered mine, Blk/Blk, 19” w/FSD in early June. I had an EDD 9/28-9/30 until yesterday which dropped to 9/30-10/20. Obviously still potential trying to get me in Q3 but not holding my breath.