Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Please accept my apologies as someone who typically focuses elsewhere on this site. I've read back about ten pages, but am I understanding correctly: only a few non-Plaid 2021 MS have been delivered and new orders for non-Plaid 2021/2022 MS are showing estimate delivery dates into March or later?

Thanks,

Todd

Reactions: TheMacc
Hello all,

Please accept my apologies as someone who typically focuses elsewhere on this site. I've read back about ten pages, but am I understanding correctly: only a few non-Plaid 2021 MS have been delivered and new orders for non-Plaid 2021/2022 MS are showing estimate delivery dates into March or later?

Thanks,

Todd
There are dozens of LR deliveries in this thread. And given we're a tiny subset of orders, they are likely in the thousands at this point. Production has picked up a bit, but it's still painfully slow and many folks have been waiting quite a while for their orders. The backlog is significant.

Hello all,

Thanks,

Todd
Yes, there were lots of folks posting celebratory Q3 EOQ vins and deliveries. As is often the case, they’ve got their cars and have moved on from this “waiting room” forum. Lots of posts the last two weeks of September and has quieted down. Now it seems a decent population here represents the Q4 EDD class.

I saw someone posted an LR new order (10/8) and claims an EDD in before March. But i do think an order now should prepare for late Spring delivery.

Reactions: TheMacc
Anyone have a refreshed 2021 MSLR on this thread? Just ordered one. Del May-June. Would love to hear of anyone's experiences/feed back coming from a M3LR or M3P. Or if you have a Plaid the same (with out the neck snapping speed of course:). Thanks!
Dirty Dog, I came from an ICE car and my comment would be that I am happy this is my first Tesla. The interior fit, finish and design is spectacular (I came from a M540) and the ride/cabin noise is better than my BMW. Acceleration and drive is not in the same league and is fantastic. I have taken a few M3 owners for rides and they are blown away thinking their M3's were torque monsters. The LR (and Plaid of course) will not disappoint in any way. The car is a little bit buggy. Things will come and go (IE SXM is there and on the next power up is gone and on the next one comes back). Charging is set for off-peak but once it just started to charge right away. Autopilot is fantastic. I do a lot of highway driving and it is highly refined. not perfect but magnitudes better than any autonomous features I had in prior BMW or Audi cars. Seats are super comfortable and I LOVE THE YOKE ! HANDS DOWN ! My wife attributes my lust for the yoke as me being a pilot (and maybe it is) but I love the driving position and the buttons vs stalks. Exterior is pretty good (not 145,000 CAD worth) as there are a couple of trim and panel alignment issues with the frunk but an appointment set to resolve. Adjustment kinds of stuff not build quality issues. Paint is flawless and I love the single pieced glass roof. I thought it would be hot, too bright...name the complaint....and it is none of them. No shade needed. No additional tinting needed....it is awesome. My personal opinion is that if I look at this car through the lens of other ICE cars I have driven it is not there for body design (sheet metal gauge of the frunk is thin - look in the wheel wells and you see nuts and bolts and areas for corrosion) so not as tight as a design/build as a high end sedan/vehicle but when through the lens of technology, ride dynamics and torque....I love the torque.... I would buy it again. Any pain and anxiety that you feel being jerked around by Tesla and waiting dissipates on your first full pedal launch :cool:

Dirty Dog, I came from an ICE car and my comment would be that I am happy this is my first Tesla. The interior fit, finish and design is spectacular (I came from a M540) and the ride/cabin noise is better than my BMW. Acceleration and drive is not in the same league and is fantastic. I have taken a few M3 owners for rides and they are blown away thinking their M3's were torque monsters. The LR (and Plaid of course) will not disappoint in any way. The car is a little bit buggy. Things will come and go (IE SXM is there and on the next power up is gone and on the next one comes back). Charging is set for off-peak but once it just started to charge right away. Autopilot is fantastic. I do a lot of highway driving and it is highly refined. not perfect but magnitudes better than any autonomous features I had in prior BMW or Audi cars. Seats are super comfortable and I LOVE THE YOKE ! HANDS DOWN ! My wife attributes my lust for the yoke as me being a pilot (and maybe it is) but I love the driving position and the buttons vs stalks. Exterior is pretty good (not 145,000 CAD worth) as there are a couple of trim and panel alignment issues with the frunk but an appointment set to resolve. Adjustment kinds of stuff not build quality issues. Paint is flawless and I love the single pieced glass roof. I thought it would be hot, too bright...name the complaint....and it is none of them. No shade needed. No additional tinting needed....it is awesome. My personal opinion is that if I look at this car through the lens of other ICE cars I have driven it is not there for body design (sheet metal gauge of the frunk is thin - look in the wheel wells and you see nuts and bolts and areas for corrosion) so not as tight as a design/build as a high end sedan/vehicle but when through the lens of technology, ride dynamics and torque....I love the torque.... I would buy it again. Any pain and anxiety that you feel being jerked around by Tesla and waiting dissipates on your first full pedal launch :cool:
What a wonderful post. Loved the section about your feelings towards the yoke. Most of my time spent off the ground is with a joy stick now but I can’t wait to use my thumbs for control opposed to moving and using my hands/fingers.

Funny thought I have, I read people complaining about hitting the wrong signal a lot. I’ve had my E350 for years and I STILL turn on the wipers occasionally when I signal a turn. Stupid extruded button.

I actually have a different hypothesis. If you ask Tesla nicely to do something, they will - in almost all situations, and by complete haplessness - do the opposite. I had the same situation as you in 2018 where I ordered a heavily, heavily backordered Model 3 on November 1, requested explicitly that it not be delivered until after November 30 ("no chance it'll be ready by then!"), and was forced to take delivery or lose my place in line by November 15.

Congrats on the car. I'm going to call Tesla tomorrow and tell them under no circumstances do I want to take delivery this quarter.
That is true. I have been talking to my sales rep for some time.
Guessing you are new to this thread...😉
Not new to Tesla. I just haven't been following the ordering status. 😄

Definitely crazy or suspicious. Most of us with LR order with white seats have been waiting a long time, since April here. I know your in CA but it is very odd that you got bumped up in the queue - although we get that you are paying in cases $5000-$10,000 more than some of us due to ordering after the two price increases. Seems that may be the case, which isn't cool though. That or you happen to be next at a delivery center where someone's financing fell through, it was a reject, or something... so yes, check it over well.

I am now like others, want a 2022 for the year model now after waiting. That and it would be nice to see some hopeful improvements if there was a production pause, even though not likely (could hope for better headlights, better tail lights like the M3 even, some design fixes, etc.).
My SR followed up with me and the MS was built on 10/5. Most likely someone couldn't take delivery or not available to take delivery. I plan to go through the inspection very closely today just to make double sure.

Reactions: AKay724 and cwanja
How was the car and what did your SA say about the build date? 450 VIN is a recent build, likely early September.
I'm picking it up later this afternoon. So, I'll have more to share. My SR followed up with me and the MS was built on 10/5. Most likely someone couldn't take delivery or not available to take delivery. I plan to go through the inspection very closely today just to make double sure.

Canadian pilots are super; close to #1! Nice write-up brother! Mine is on a train to Alabama then I'm guessing a truck to West Palm Beach. Hoping my copy is a good one. Talk to you soon pal. Ganbei

Reactions: Pdubs and Proppilot
What a wonderful post. Loved the section about your feelings towards the yoke. Most of my time spent off the ground is with a joy stick now but I can’t wait to use my thumbs for control opposed to moving and using my hands/fingers.

Funny thought I have, I read people complaining about hitting the wrong signal a lot. I’ve had my E350 for years and I STILL turn on the wipers occasionally when I signal a turn. Stupid extruded button.
Okay.....I do have ONE complaint about the yoke ! With a wheel I could jam my left knee against it while taking a bit out of a burger which is not possible due to the design of the yoke however I have replaced that with using the autopilot which will take the car down to minimums....... signals and exits the highway onto the onramp all by itself and counts down to AP disconnect. I know there are a few pilots on the forum and you are going to LOVE the automation :)

Okay.....I do have ONE complaint about the yoke ! With a wheel I could jam my left knee against it while taking a bit out of a burger which is not possible due to the design of the yoke however I have replaced that with using the autopilot which will take the car down to minimums....... signals and exits the highway onto the onramp all by itself and counts down to AP disconnect. I know thee are a few pilots on the forum and you are going to LOVE the automation :)
A burger neither of us needs; problem solved! Even tho I'm for sure a low IQ kinda guy, my forte as a pilot and flight instructor for 1/2 a century was "advanced flight-deck automation, and more specifically the man/machine interface" which is my interest in this ground beast. I'll have fun for sure; I just hope the car will not shed parts on the highway as some reported. It is for sure NOT a high quality car as at least a M.B. S class or better. Stay in touch dude
Ganbei...
P.S. my understanding is "avocado" is in Alabama awaiting a truck ride.

Last edited:
I would really appreciate if everyone would call in and ask to have their order delayed a couple months so they can get the N in their VIN :) Perhaps it will mean we will get our car faster! haha I've been waiting for my white/black/19" MSLR since early April, so I'll take whatever VIN they give me.

My baby falls asleep on car rides, even deeper when I accelerate hard. The 2018 p75d we have is fine, but for our baby's sleep, an extra 1 second off the 0-60 will help a lot... ok maybe its just that dad wants more power. haha

Last edited:
I would really appreciate if everyone would call in and ask to have their order delayed a couple months so they can get the N in their VIN :) Perhaps it will mean we will get our car faster! haha I've been waiting for my white/black/19" MSLR since early April, so I'll take whatever VIN they give me.

My baby falls asleep on car rides, even deeper when I accelerate hard. The 2018 p75d we have is fine, but for our baby's sleep, an extra 1 second off the 0-60 will help a lot... ok maybe its just that dad wants more power. haha
I doubt "dad" needs more power than the LR; as an alleged father to 118+ kids in Southeast Asia a while back I am allegedly a baby expert. Yes, the young'un can always use better sleep, but a Plaid is really unnecessary. The LR acceletates as well as my supercharged Z06...

On the topic of 2022 VINs, while looking at the last flyover, I was able to see an absolute ton of MY's being produced. If there were to be a changeover to 2022, I figured if any vehicles were likely to show an update VIN, it would be with an MY. So, I took a gander on the MY forum and found this thread. Jumping to the last page, it looks like Tesla would have to file papers with the NHTSB in order to label their vehicles to a specific year. So far, while other manufacturers have done so, Tesla has not.

On the topic of 2022 VINs, while looking at the last flyover, I was able to see an absolute ton of MY's being produced. If there were to be a changeover to 2022, I figured if any vehicles were likely to show an update VIN, it would be with an MY. So, I took a gander on the MY forum and found this thread. Jumping to the last page, it looks like Tesla would have to file papers with the NHTSB in order to label their vehicles to a specific year. So far, while other manufacturers have done so, Tesla has not.
Interesting; reason is because Tesla employees are likely completely tied-up providing their very superior customer communications, so if they ever catch up, they can then pursue filing the papers.