Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lady slammed on her breaks in stop and go traffic at 20-30mph and I slid into the back of her Toyota RAV4 totally annoying and I think getting it fixed will take a life time. I’m wondering if they even have parts for this model car yet
I’m sooo sorry to hear this. Hope everyone is ok and you get to enjoy the car again soon!

(new to Tesla so not sure how AP helps) did AP help in accidents like this? Somehow I anticipated AP to slam the brake… thanks for your insights!

This years refreshed (maybe a couple years earlier?) all max charge at 48 amp output. Much less than the older cars and the Gen 2 charger With higher output. Not that your electrician knows that. Not sure. 60amp breaker/240v get you that new 48 amp max output Which is all the cars can handle. Reading that Tesla recommended electricians gouge people I instead dealt with a few local electricians that had little experience with Tesla, wanted to pontificate on what they knew versus what the actual Gen 3 manual said and charged an arm and a leg. On a lark I went to a Tesla recommended for a quote (on the Tesla site just put in zip) and he was the cheapest and most knowledgeable and banged it out perfectly in 2 hours. No hassles. Just had it installed earlier today too!
Thank you. That answered my question. Should be looking for the 48 Amps output. I will try your approach to get a quote from the Tesla Approved guy as well. Was avoiding it as well based on what i read in forums.

Something not right there. There should be no difference with the MS. The standard gen 2 mobile connector that comes with the car can charge up to 32 amps on a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. The high end "corded mobile connector" can charge to 40 amps on the same NEMA 14-50. The wall connector that is hard wired can go to 48 amps.
Did not catch the delta between the 40 amps NEMA and 48 on the Wall Connector. Good callout. Thank you.

If you install a NEMA 14-50, then you have to use your mobile connector, which is annoying to plug/unplug, and can wear the connectors. Or, you can leave it. In that case, you have to coil it up for road trips, or buy a spare. If that is the case, then you are better off with an HPWC, which is about the same price, and can leave it hung. The money you save you can pay for upgraded amperage.

Besides, with a good HPWC, even at 50 amps, you can get a pretty decent charge, which is nice if you need to head out again somewhere when you get home low.
I can see needing to charge quickly to head out again. Excellent point. Please excuse my ignorance here, What is HPWC (H--- P----- Wall Charger??) Thank you

Thank you. That answered my question. Should be looking for the 48 Amps output. I will try your approach to get a quote from the Tesla Approved guy as well. Was avoiding it as well based on what i read in forums.
My Tesla approved electrician was very reasonable and fixed quote. They ran into a few issues but didn’t charge me for extra parts and labor.

I can see needing to charge quickly to head out again. Excellent point. Please excuse my ignorance here, What is HPWC (H--- P----- Wall Charger??) Thank you
High Power Wall Charger. No need to apologize. You posts are thoughtful.
I have been a Tesla owner for 8 years. I never really thought about the need for rapid charging at home, but it definitely happens. Not often, but often enough. I return from a long trip with 10% left, only to get called to the hospital, or pick up a kid, or pick up dinner, or run to the market. Charging for just 30 minutes can get me a quick trip around town.

I went back and forth between trying to decide on whether or not to get a wall charger for my new house or just use a regular 220V outlet like I did with my first house. The difference in charge rate between the mobile connector and the wall unit just wasn’t large enough to me to justify the increase in cost

My wall charger is wired for 100 amps. I can charge one of my Teslas at 80A (20 kW). It can be great when you need to do a quick turn or somehow forgot to charge. I'll probably get a dual charger added to my Plaid if that becomes an option.

Reactions: boonedocks
I went back and forth between trying to decide on whether or not to get a wall charger for my new house or just use a regular 220V outlet like I did with my first house. The difference in charge rate between the mobile connector and the wall unit just wasn’t large enough to me to justify the increase in cost
Honestly, I wish I just did the 220V. With that I could have used it for power tools or future other electric cars (if needed).

Reactions: Tigers and Danlbrau
My wall charger is wired for 100 amps. I can charge one of my Teslas at 80A (20 kW). It can be great when you need to do a quick turn or somehow forgot to charge. I'll probably get a dual charger added to my Plaid if that becomes an option.

80A charging is the one thing I have genuinely missed from my first Model S.

It was be a huge feature some of us long commuters need from time to time

Not an expert by any means, but shouldnt the car have detected and stopped
used the standard AP on miles and miles of stop and go traffic on I-95 4th of july weekend. Traffic going from 0 to 45 and all in between. Rapidly. AP was set to 2 car length distance and it worked flawlessly. A benefit of AP (especially during a bright sunny day) in stop and go is that it doesnt get distracted by anything and is consistent in its following distance/braking/reaction.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Another option is what I’ve always done. I have my electrician install a Nema 14-50 outlet and use the HPWC with a 14-50 pigtail he installed. Gives me the flexibility of an outlet and the speed of an HPWC without having to plug and unplug my cord. I can leave it in my car.

Attachments

• D6211A9E-C9CA-44EB-B80A-8163B66464D8.jpeg
    D6211A9E-C9CA-44EB-B80A-8163B66464D8.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 83