Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SA offered me a Plaid now. He says there are a few available in Colma, CA. My questions: is the Plaid really worth $40k more? What else do I get besides a faster 0-60 and 3 motors instead of 2? Also, my RN is 1156 and it's not showing an EDD, so I could either take the Plaid now, or wait most likely until next year to get the long-range.
That's a personal preference thing. If I were a track guy who loved to take it out to the track on weekends, I get it. Plaid is the way to go, I think. But for a daily driver, it's not for me. SLR is plenty fast enough. Plus LR has a bit more range. Save the $40K and buy some TSLA stock with it. Much better ROI.

I for one would like to welcome you to the forum. I joined in late July and the vast majority of discourse has been positive, upbeat and friendly. We are all looking forward to our new rides, some way longer than others. It's only human nature to get a little frustrated with the antics of the EDD monkey, aka the VP of chaos. I have resigned myself to getting the car when I get it,. It's far less stressful that way. I enjoy reading this forum and participating in it. You should too. So.....welcome to the forum.
I too have resigned to getting the car when I get it and not getting in a twist about the EDD movements. I have gotten a ton of great tips from this group and appreciate them.

That's a personal preference thing. If I were a track guy who loved to take it out to the track on weekends, I get it. Plaid is the way to go, I think. But for a daily driver, it's not for me. SLR is plenty fast enough. Plus LR has a bit more range. Save the $40K and buy some TSLA stock with it. Much better ROI.

I’m a track guy and still have zero desire for a Plaid. I’d rather spend 40k on a dedicated track car like a Miata or invest it in Tesla stock like you said. 1000hp in a car with mediocre brakes is pointless to me.

Me too but I check it twice a day. 😂

yep...I know. The account-checking withdrawal symptoms are tough!

Me too. Early April order now late Nov-Early Dec EDD... Beaten down to submission..... Thinking it is better for guaranteed 2022 VIN and A/S tires in Chicago. However, still checking 5-6 times a day... Hard to change that one.. Learning a lot from this group.. Thanks again Y'all...

oof, I ordered mine in April as well, was showing a sept delivery, but now its pushed to this month. What config did you order?
Me too. Early April order now late Nov-Early Dec EDD... Beaten down to submission..... Thinking it is better for guaranteed 2022 VIN and A/S tires in Chicago. However, still checking 5-6 times a day... Hard to change that one.. Learning a lot from this group.. Thanks again Y'all...

oof, I ordered mine in April as well, was showing a sept delivery, but now its pushed to this month. What config did you order?

I too have resigned to getting the car when I get it and not getting in a twist about the EDD movements. I have gotten a ton of great tips from this group and appreciate them.
I agree. I am waiting since June as well. To save anyone from thumbing through 536 pages in this forum, here is a summary of what I have learned from others regarding the Model S, in no particular order:

1) EDDs are nonsensical. They pretty much don't mean anything until a VIN is obtained.
2) Getting a VIN is exciting, but delivery is still not guaranteed as the VIN can sometimes revert to being blank. Now that we are in October, the VIN with "NF" in it (starting with 6th or 7th letter in the VIN but I forget) is desirable now because it indicates 2022 model year, as compared to "MF" which is for 2021.
3) Yoke is a big concern among all of us waiting. However, the yoke seems to be less of an annoyance compared to the touch sensitive buttons on it, especially for the wipers and lack of muscle memory for the horn.
4) The touch sensitive turn signal buttons on the yoke are also a huge annoyance compared to the yoke itself.
5) The screen has space for a tilt motor, but no motor is installed there.
6) 19" wheels are desired due to their comfort, range and resilience on pot-hole ridden roads. However, everyone seems to agree that the 21" inch wheels look fantastic.
7) 19" wheels are ugly with the covers. They look much nicer with the hub-cap removed. One member had the wheels powder coated and they look great. However, there is some agreement that removing the covers will impact the range somewhat.
8) Some people got summer Pirelli tires on the 19" wheels, some others got Continental all-season tires instead. Plaid models and all 21" wheels get summer tires. Some members have been able to get a swap to all season tires at no cost by Tesla service centers. YMMV on this. TireRack sells the same all season tires for about $1,280 per set. The Continental all season tires have mostly bad reviews on that site, but those reviews are not for Model S vehicles. So, it is unknown how good or bad the AS tires are or will be when paired with the new LR Model S.
9) SiriusXM may or may not be available in the car's infotainment system.
10) Active Noise Cancellation seems to be now available. No idea how well it performs.
11) A/C is slow to cool in the new car.
12) Overall fit and finish seems to be better than the previous Model S. I have not read anything about squeaks and rattles yet, but that does not mean that they don't exist.
13) It is desirable to take delivery at a service center where you can inspect the car for flaws before delivery. There is a comprehensive list of things to look for in another thread on this forum.
14) Some items like the privacy shelf in the trunk and trunk covers are backordered, so will likely not be available at delivery.
15) Tesla service advisors are mostly as clueless as us and do not have any other useful information than what we already see in our account page.
16) Tesla financing will rate match if you have found a lower financing rate for your car elsewhere. You need to reach out to them with a screenshot or document of your obtained rate. This will result in a hard credit pull in your credit history if you proceed with this request with them.
17) Some members got deliveries of their cars with grass and dirt in them, leading to speculation that the car was parked somewhere waiting for parts.
18) There seems to be a "worm" cosmetic blemish in the yoke. Don't know if Tesla will fix it.
19) Seats have some wrinkles and other blemishes. No idea if Tesla will fix them under warranty, because they will come back with "this meets our specifications" b.s.
20) LR acceleration has thrilled people so far, and not one person has said that they wish that they ordered the Plaid model instead.
21) Yoke is a pain-in-the-ass to use for 3 point turns and parking lot/driveway maneuvers.
22) The new model S is wider than the old model, so watch out for rim rashes and other dangers.
23) Expect some finishing blemishes, with paint dots on door-sills and such.
24) Panel gaps are a build concern. Watch for them during delivery.
25) The yoke will tilt and telescope for adjustments.
26) Everyone seems to agree that the visibility is great with the yoke, as compared to a steering wheel.
27) The pedestrian warning system in the new car makes a loud sound while backing up. No known way to disable it in the Model S yet if desired.
28) White interiors are taking a long time for them to deliver. Expect more delays if your order has a white interior.
29) It may be better to get a car delivered when Tesla is not in their end-of-quarter rush to put keys in as many hands as possible.
30) It may be prudent to get paint-protection-film (PPF) installed on the new car due to Tesla's "soft" paints. This is more of a personal preference.
31) Adding or removing FSD from your order will not re-adjust your base price that was in effect at time of original order. All other changes will reset the price to the current levels.
32) Your phone will be stable when placed in the center console during hard acceleration or turns, and will not fall down.
33) Finally, to quote another member verbatim regarding the rest of us in this forum,

"... we are obsessively compulsive nut-jobs. That is the just way we roll ...".

Makes me laugh every time I remember that statement. Thanks for it!

Feel free to add to this list if I missed anything.

Last edited:
I agree. I am waiting since June as well. To save anyone from thumbing through 536 pages in this forum, here is a summary of what I have learned from others regarding the Model S, in no particular order:

1) EDDs are nonsensical. They pretty much don't mean anything until a VIN is obtained.
2) Getting a VIN is exciting, but delivery is still not guaranteed as the VIN can sometimes revert to being blank. Now that we are in October, the VIN with "NF" in it (starting with 6th or 7th letter in the VIN but I forget) is desirable now because it indicates 2022 model year, as compared to "MF" which is for 2021.
3) Yoke is a big concern among all of us waiting. However, the yoke seems to be less of an annoyance compared to the touch sensitive buttons on it, especially for the wipers and lack of muscle memory for the horn.
4) The touch sensitive turn signal buttons on the yoke are also a huge annoyance compared to the yoke itself.
6) 19" wheels are desired due to their comfort, range and resilience on pot-hole ridden roads. However, everyone seems to agree that the 21" inch wheels look fantastic.
7) 19" wheels are ugly with the covers. They look much nicer with the hub-cap removed. One member had the wheels powder coated and they look great. However, there is some agreement that removing the covers will impact the range somewhat.
8) Some people got summer Pirelli tires on the 19" wheels, some others got Continental all-season tires instead. Plaid models and all 21" wheels get summer tires. Some members have been able to get a swap to all season tires at no cost by Tesla service centers. YMMV on this. TireRack sells the same all season tires for about $1,280 per set. The Continental all season tires have mostly bad reviews on that site, but those reviews are not for Model S vehicles. So, it is unknown how good or bad the AS tires are or will be when paired with the new LR Model S.
10) Active Noise Cancellation seems to be now available. No idea how well it performs.
12) Overall fit and finish seems to be better than the previous Model S. I have not read anything about squeaks and rattles yet, but that does not mean that they don't exist.
13) It is desirable to take delivery at a service center where you can inspect the car for flaws before delivery. There is a comprehensive list of things to look for in another thread on this forum.
14) Some items like the privacy shelf in the trunk and trunk covers are backordered, so will likely not be available at delivery.
15) Tesla service advisors are mostly as clueless as us and do not have any other useful information than what we already see in our account page.
16) Tesla financing will rate match if you have found a lower financing rate for your car elsewhere. You need to reach out to them with a screenshot or document of your obtained rate. This will result in a hard credit pull in your credit history if you proceed with this request with them.
17) Some members got deliveries of their cars with grass and dirt in them, leading to speculation that the car was parked somewhere waiting for parts.
18) There seems to be a "worm" cosmetic blemish in the yoke. Don't know if Tesla will fix it.
19) Seats have some wrinkles and other blemishes. No idea if Tesla will fix them under warranty, because they will come back with "this meets our specifications" b.s.
20) LR acceleration has thrilled people so far, and not one person has said that they wish that they ordered the Plaid model instead.
21) Yoke is a pain-in-the-ass to use for 3 point turns and parking lot/driveway maneuvers.
22) The new model S is wider than the old model, so watch out for rim rashes and other dangers.
26) Everyone seems to agree that the visibility is great with the yoke, as compared to a steering wheel.
27) The pedestrian warning system in the new car makes a loud sound while backing up. No known way to disable it in the Model S yet if desired.
28) White interiors are taking a long time for them to deliver. Expect more delays if your order has a white interior.
29) It may be better to get a car delivered when Tesla is not in their end-of-quarter rush to put keys in as many hands as possible.
30) It may be prudent to get paint-protection-film (PPF) installed on the new car due to Tesla's "soft" paints. This is more of a personal preference.
31) Adding or removing FSD from your order will not re-adjust your base price that was in effect at time of original order. All other changes will reset the price to the current levels.
32) Your phone will be stable when placed in the center console during hard acceleration or turns, and will not fall down.
33) Finally, to quote another member verbatim regarding the rest of us in this forum,

Damn that was impressive :)

Placed an order a few days ago for a red LR. Website estimated March - April when ordered and now shows April - May. Have absolutely no clue when to expect delivery but not going to stress about it. A friend ordered a LR in July and took delivery last week. Not sure how that happened, maybe a fluke. Hoping all the folks who ordered long ago get theirs soon...

Haha. Thanks for the shout out!

FYI, I heard the latest update changed how the buttons for the wipers and signals now work. Apparently, there are no longer short and long presses, but rather one single press, and the signals go off automatically after the lane change or turn.

My God! That is absolutely fantastic! Would save people a lot of trouble if they read it. It should be pinned as permanent!

Damn that was impressive :)

Where’s the bit about a/c not cooling the car well? Being in Texas that’s a big issue …

Awesome post! Reading it would save a newbie many hours of research. Great job!

Where’s the bit about a/c not cooling the car well? Being in Texas that’s a big issue …
I remember seeing that a while back and a couple YouTube videos on the topic of the heat pump taking a lot longer to cool the car somewhat, but not to the extent it is terrible.

Key is that in TX you'll probably be fine with some good heat rejection tint on the 4 passenger windows, back window, top might be ok for a while, and then even something clear that reduces heat on front window even. Helps if go with the white/cream interior as well.

FWIW, my AC works fine in the humidity here in PA. And the cooling seats are nice too.

I also like my aero covers and SiriusXM was added via firmware update a few weeks ago. ANC is not active yet as far as I know.

Thank you all for your replies and input!
The only reason why I was considering the Plaid is that I can get it right away, whereas I would have to wait months for the long-range. However, the long-range is more than enough for me. I will never take it to the track or use it to its full potential.
I just looked at my RN, and it shows a Plaid with a VIN. It seems my SA switched my order, but I never gave him the go-ahead. I just told him that I would consider it. I'm going to call him tomorrow to let him know that I'm not interested in the Plaid and to switch my order back to the long-range. Will this further delay my EDD?