Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki 2021+ Model S Refresh - Missing/Incomplete Software Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree the binnacle display is crap and completely underutilized. Just a handful of the things that I was 100% certain any bonehead at Tesla would implement, but never did:

1. Side camera view for turn signal use (how is this a thing on 3 and not S?!?)
2. Instantaneous and average consumption. The new "energy" app is nice for certain things but still crap overall because it's all centered around trips - there's still no good way to view instantaneous consumption. 90% of the time I'm just driving around, not navigating everywhere I go. It's useful to have this info right in front of you - like every other car on the planet does it - so you can see how certain driving habits affect consumption.
3. Music control. Why not have this "card" be assigned to a region of the binnacle rather than on the main display? It feels like 30% of the huge screen is completely wasted just to tell you what song is playing. Wouldn't you rather have a larger nav display if you could (or have that devoted to something else that's useful)?
4. Other user selectable "favorites" that should be easy to adjust (via steering wheel knobs like windshield wiper), and are currently anything but. Some examples: a) ride height - when I'm coming down a steep incline and know I'm going to bottom the front fascia while i'm in traffic I don't have time to hit two small buttons on very different areas of the screen and then adjust a slider; b) seat heat/cooling - so stupid that this must be controlled with A/C on; c) throttle input (chill, standard, insane) - I am 100% sure I would use the lesser modes if these were simpler to adjust than looking through menus while I'm in traffic; etc.

What bothers me the absolute most about the binnacle display is that it's 70% taken up by the FSD visualization. The VAST majority of MS owners don't have FSD, and for them, it has no utility whatsoever. Why would you make all that screen real estate tied to a feature so few have? It's just crazy.

Most people rarely look at their tire pressure. That's not something that's important to me outside of the alert when it's low or checking before long trips.

But the music was pointless as it's on the main screen and energy graph is also something that can be pulled up, but unnecessary to have up at all times.

Especially with FSD being fixed behind the wheel, there wasn't room for all of that.

I wasn't referring to the energy graph. The trip card I found most useful would show the distance and watts per mile on the current drive, since last charge and total trip.

These four small lines of information did not take up very much space but now requires several screen taps and the full screen to display. As I asked before, how is this not poor implementation?

Reactions: Duke846
These four small lines of information did not take up very much space but now requires several screen taps and the full screen to display. As I asked before, how is this not poor implementation?
You are asking someone who doesn't use that. So it's not...for me.

I'm for options. Allow people to change out the navigation for something else. I had a 20 MS loaner and hated the display in that compared to the 22 MS. It was too busy and bright. I felt the music there was pointless and again, I don't care about the metrics you do. Battery Icon, Speed limit, and FSD display...I do like the nav on there when my wife is messing with the main screen.

lol. "Why aren't AC controls there"...This is purely subjective. It's not something readily available on any Tesla now.
Lol? Of course it's subjective. Everything having to do with ergonomics is subjective. It doesn't mean it's not a good idea to implement more options. Who said features using the display had to be a part of some previous iteration of the car?

I will never understand why people come onto forums and argue against providing options to users. After all, it's really best that those of us without FSD should lose the majority of our display to a completely useless function because you don't see the point of other functions. Right?

Main display. Since whenever the 3/Y received it. You can't move the camera, though.
I have a 22 refresh built in Jan 22. It does not have this function in any form. I just got in my car and went through every menu. Nothing.

If this FSD exclusive?

Edit: for clarity, I'm not taking about leaving the entire camera app open all the time (which includes the repeaters), I'm talking about a feature that triggers display of the appropriate side view camera when you use a turn signal, like in the model 3

Lol? Of course it's subjective. Everything having to do with ergonomics is subjective. It doesn't mean it's not a good idea to implement more options. Who said features using the display had to be a part of some previous iteration of the car?

I will never understand why people come onto forums and argue against providing options to users. After all, it's really best that those of us without FSD should lose the majority of our display to a completely useless function because you don't see the point of other functions. Right?
I said there should be options, but I said I prefer the new interface. That other guy kept trying to have me say it's bad UI. I don't agree. I don't think that's information that's valuable in a trip, so of course I don't think it's bad implementation.

Edit: for clarity, I'm not taking about leaving the entire camera app open all the time (which includes the repeaters), I'm talking about a feature that triggers display of the appropriate side view camera when you use a turn signal, like in the model 3
We are talking about the same thing. I actually got it in my MS before my MY because my MY was on Beta software.

Attachments

• 20230614_175517.jpg
    20230614_175517.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 69
I have a 22 refresh built in Jan 22. It does not have this function in any form. I just got in my car and went through every menu. Nothing.

If this FSD exclusive?

Yup, it's there. Not sure where the setting is. It doesn't require FSD. It pops up when the blinkers are on and disappears after the turn is over.

I agree the binnacle display is crap and completely underutilized. Just a handful of the things that I was 100% certain any bonehead at Tesla would implement, but never did:

1. Side camera view for turn signal use (how is this a thing on 3 and not S?!?)
2. Instantaneous and average consumption. The new "energy" app is nice for certain things but still crap overall because it's all centered around trips - there's still no good way to view instantaneous consumption. 90% of the time I'm just driving around, not navigating everywhere I go. It's useful to have this info right in front of you - like every other car on the planet does it - so you can see how certain driving habits affect consumption.
3. Music control. Why not have this "card" be assigned to a region of the binnacle rather than on the main display? It feels like 30% of the huge screen is completely wasted just to tell you what song is playing. Wouldn't you rather have a larger nav display if you could (or have that devoted to something else that's useful)?
4. Other user selectable "favorites" that should be easy to adjust (via steering wheel knobs like windshield wiper), and are currently anything but. Some examples: a) ride height - when I'm coming down a steep incline and know I'm going to bottom the front fascia while i'm in traffic I don't have time to hit two small buttons on very different areas of the screen and then adjust a slider; b) seat heat/cooling - so stupid that this must be controlled with A/C on; c) throttle input (chill, standard, insane) - I am 100% sure I would use the lesser modes if these were simpler to adjust than looking through menus while I'm in traffic; etc.

What bothers me the absolute most about the binnacle display is that it's 70% taken up by the FSD visualization. The VAST majority of MS owners don't have FSD, and for them, it has no utility whatsoever. Why would you make all that screen real estate tied to a feature so few have? It's just crazy.
I fully get the need the raise suspension. There is a shortcut on the main screen.