Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki 2021+ Model S Refresh - Missing/Incomplete Software Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla Apple Music app is psychotic. Also, I drive with Waze in the background for alerts like "object in road ahead". I't would be cool if there was a slick hinging and latching product to allow for an iPad in easy reach also.
There is clearly a technology integration gap when someone asks for a slick solution to add an iPad to a high-res 17in display already in the car.

There is clearly a technology integration gap when someone asks for a slick solution to add an iPad to a high-res 17in display already in the car.
I just don't get it. Apple Music (nowadays) mostly runs fine in the car, the quality is good etc etc - in the native Music app. And the native Tesla Maps app is leagues ahead of CarPlay's Google Maps/Apple Maps. I suppose to each his/her own. Whenever I have to ride in non-Teslas using CarPlay, it's pretty... retrograde.

I just don't get it. Apple Music (nowadays) mostly runs fine in the car, the quality is good etc etc - in the native Music app. And the native Tesla Maps app is leagues ahead of CarPlay's Google Maps/Apple Maps. I suppose to each his/her own. Whenever I have to ride in non-Teslas using CarPlay, it's pretty... retrograde.
I was speaking more generally to the fact someone made the suggestion of strapping an iPad to the dash. I could care less about Apple Music (Android user here), but the fact that Tesla does not open up the OS to add apps that most cars have today is mind blowing.

Reactions: HighPotential
That there's no car play or android auto? That's been known since 2012. Wouldn't it be your fault for not looking into that before you purchased?
How could you have know this since 2012 when both Android Auto and Apple Car Play were introduced in 2015 and 2014 respectively? Are you implying that technologies that did not exist when the Model S first launched, we should not expect to be added as features to the latest Model S?

I am only speaking for myself, but I was fully aware that my 2013, 2020 and 2022 Model S did not have CarPlay or Android Auto, but that does not mean I cannot be shocked that a car this advanced still does not have features even the most basic, non-carputer based vehicles have?

How could you have know this since 2012 when both Android Auto and Apple Car Play were introduced in 2015 and 2014 respectively? Are you implying that technologies that did not exist when the Model S first launched, we should not expect to be added as features to the latest Model S?

I am only speaking for myself, but I was fully aware that my 2013, 2020 and 2022 Model S did not have CarPlay or Android Auto, but that does not mean I cannot be shocked that a car this advanced still does not have features even the most basic, non-carputer based vehicles have?
Well, technically the statement is not incorrect.... :)

GM ditched Car Play as well. It's not that the car isn't capable, but that's not the path Tesla wants to take. Many think the Tesla interface is better, but again you have the option for other vehicles.

Being shocked that the car doesn't have car play is like being shocked the car doesn't have a front bumper camera/360 view. It's shocked due to a lack of knowledge or misunderstanding.

It's not something anyone should expect in the future, either.

I’m still waiting (and my Grandsons are angry) that the rear screen still can’t do video games.

Then today I see today’s review of the updated Model 3 Highland at Motor Trend.

“Sometime after the car goes on sale, Tesla will push an OTA update that allows gaming from the rear screen like you can already do on the front screen.”

Yeah, good luck with that.

I’m still waiting (and my Grandsons are angry) that the rear screen still can’t do video games.

Then today I see today’s review of the updated Model 3 Highland at Motor Trend.

“Sometime after the car goes on sale, Tesla will push an OTA update that allows gaming from the rear screen like you can already do on the front screen.”

Yeah, good luck with that.
By gaming, they mean the basic games, not steam. I agree it's unlikely anyway.

So you aren't "shocked"?
I don't know about others, as I don't speak for anyone but me, but I am "surprised", "disappointed", and a bevy of other verbs, that Tesla has not learned from the success of the Apple iTunes concept of an app store. In myy opinion, it was the introduction of a proper "mobile device app store" that solidified the iPhone into society. There were many mobile phone devices before iPhone, Microsoft being one, that failed due to not having app support outside of the typical process of manually downloading and installing. People are lazy. The Apple app store catered to them.

Tesla started down this path (barely) in the 1st gen Model S. There was an app page. It had one app (a calendar if I remember correctly). I'm surprised/disappointed/shocked that they never pursued it. Micro transactions could have been a major revenue generator.

Reactions: cmarshack