Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki 2021+ Model S Refresh - Missing/Incomplete Software Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1698770723700.png

Are you disagreeing that the definition I gave for a PDR is not accurate or that the car doesn't have what it needs to replace a Dragy?

I don't know about others, as I don't speak for anyone but me, but I am "surprised", "disappointed", and a bevy of other verbs, that Tesla has not learned from the success of the Apple iTunes concept of an app store.
Tesla started down this path (barely) in the 1st gen Model S. There was an app page. It had one app (a calendar if I remember correctly). I'm surprised/disappointed/shocked that they never pursued it. Micro transactions could have been a major revenue generator.

I propose that Tesla have an app store, and additionally propose that X, formerly known as Twitter, be the first app made available. That could get the ball rolling.

View attachment 986756

Are you disagreeing that the definition I gave for a PDR is not accurate or that the car doesn't have what it needs to replace a Dragy?
No I meant to disagree with the idea that Waze, Android Auto, Car play need to come to Tesla. That's a ton of work and development integrating or allowing integration to all the battery calculation, SC stops, etc when Tesla (and most Tesla owners) believe that they do a better job of it themselves.

I think Elon/Tesla has been very clear that it's not on the roadmap, but apps like PDR or other music/streaming services options would be welcomed.

Reactions: Bull and MP3Mike
So the only thing missing is the one thing that makes a Dragy work at all ;)
That's why I "maybe'd" it. Not sure what degree of precision the Tesla GPS is in comparison to the Dragy. Heck, the Tesla may have an even higher precision GPS. I can't imagine Tesla put any more precision (sampling rate) into their hardware/software than necessary to accomplish the task at hand.

That being said, I expect they should have accounted for high precision to help FSD determine whether it was on the Interstate or the service road across the median. I have noticed it struggles with that from time to time.

That's why I "maybe'd" it. Not sure what degree of precision the Tesla GPS is in comparison to the Dragy. Heck, the Tesla may have an even higher precision GPS. I can't imagine Tesla put any more precision (sampling rate) into their hardware/software than necessary to accomplish the task at hand.

That being said, I expect they should have accounted for high precision to help FSD determine whether it was on the Interstate or the service road across the median. I have noticed it struggles with that from time to time.
They don't need a high precision gps to create a timer more accurate than dragy. They have instantaneous wheel speed from all four wheels. They can track 0-60 mph more accurate than dragy. They just calibrate the tire diameter over many rotations from the gps, then use the wheel rotations for distance covered.

Reactions: Dameon
No I meant to disagree with the idea that Waze, Android Auto, Car play need to come to Tesla. That's a ton of work and development integrating or allowing integration to all the battery calculation, SC stops, etc when Tesla (and most Tesla owners) believe that they do a better job of it themselves.

I think Elon/Tesla has been very clear that it's not on the roadmap, but apps like PDR or other music/streaming services options would be welcomed.
I don't care if he's been "clear" What I am ticked about is Tesla isn't working it out and they don't appear to give a cr4p that we can't use other apps like we can on our phones or other cars. Bluetooth from a phone was cool from 2008-2012 but jeez guys. They don't talk about it. They act like it isn't a problem. I have audiobooks. What app is that? Oh, from my phone? Gee, OK. I suppose Tesla's solution is just buy a whole new Audible library from Tune-In. Whatever they are avoiding doing it is petty and sad. It's been so long there is no other explanation. So what if we have Apple Maps or Waze? Fine, FSD won't work with that. How hard is that?!?!? You can keep making excuses for Tesla, but I'm not.

I could very well be wrong, but the issues you mention are precisely why I seriously doubt there is a high sampling frequency GPS in the cars. Tesla's not exactly known for spending extra on things that may be needed (removal of radar from most vehicles, removal of USS, etc).

They don't need a high precision gps to create a timer more accurate than dragy. They have instantaneous wheel speed from all four wheels. They can track 0-60 mph more accurate than dragy. They just calibrate the tire diameter over many rotations from the gps, then use the wheel rotations for distance covered.

Maybe, theoretically, Telsa could do that, but the likelihood of them putting in the time to calibrate wheel speed vs GPS speed is about the same as an app store coming out any time soon. I'd be all for it, but I don't see it happening. Results would still be suspect I think. Current, uncalibrated, readings from the car are off by tenth's of a second 0-60 compared to a dragy in my experience. That's comparing SMT vs dragy though, so SMT results may be hindered somewhat by bluetooth lag or whatever. I tend to doubt it's a major discrepancy though if an OBDlink is sending 700+ can signals per second and the performance tab is filtering for only those signals.