Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki 2021+ Model S Refresh - Missing/Incomplete Software Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still think one of the most frustrating features of the new S is how Tesla simply didn't think when putting those scroll wheels in the yoke. They took them directly from the 3 and Y, which has a more recessed surface they slot into, which makes clicking them left and right so easy (on the 3 and Y) as there's enough surface area to make purchase on. On the S, there's much less scroll wheel surface area above the steering yoke face to push those buttons left and right. Those wheels need to be slightly larger for the S. Really annoying.
Also, they changed the scroll wheels recently. On my 2018 model 3 they have a rubber external wheel that makes it much easier to push them left and right. They've eliminated that external rubber ring on the latest model S and model 3, which makes it harder to push left and right. I hope it wasn't for cost savings. I'm hoping it was a bad material choice that eventually wears out and looks bad maybe? Annoying.

Reactions: Great White
Also, they changed the scroll wheels recently. On my 2018 model 3 they have a rubber external wheel that makes it much easier to push them left and right. They've eliminated that external rubber ring on the latest model S and model 3, which makes it harder to push left and right. I hope it wasn't for cost savings. I'm hoping it was a bad material choice that eventually wears out and looks bad maybe? Annoying.

That was changed a good while back to metal, from rubber. The new S has always been metal, since that change on the 3/Y was made way before the new S was released. The rubber was a lot easier to grip, and I hadn't read of anyone having wear issues with those older wheels, so who knows why it was changed?

That was changed a good while back to metal, from rubber. The new S has always been metal, since that change on the 3/Y was made way before the new S was released. The rubber was a lot easier to grip, and I hadn't read of anyone having wear issues with those older wheels, so who knows why it was changed?
Definitely had mixed results on pushing "next" when actually listening to music. Miss a dedicated button, like my old S wheel had. I get it Elon, all my input is wrong input.

I also worry about the durability / longevity of the scroll wheels. I skip through a lot of ads in podcasts and am always mashing the next button (to the right). I am often just pushing it leftwards to even out the usage.

Definitely had mixed results on pushing "next" when actually listening to music. Miss a dedicated button, like my old S wheel had. I get it Elon, all my input is wrong input.

I also worry about the durability / longevity of the scroll wheels. I skip through a lot of ads in podcasts and am always mashing the next button (to the right). I am often just pushing it leftwards to even out the usage.

I also have some mental confusion with the left / right of the scroll wheel and the left right arrows for the turn signals right next to each other. I feel like I shouldn't be confused about that after owning the car for >6 months, but yeah....

I also have some mental confusion with the left / right of the scroll wheel and the left right arrows for the turn signals right next to each other. I feel like I shouldn't be confused about that after owning the car for >6 months, but yeah....
The scroll wheel sticks up. The turn signals are flat with a ridge between them to separate them. It isn't hard to master.

• Informative
Reactions: NickMiller
They would be along the "bend" or lines of the silver / chrome trim, or the red lines in this image. Pardon my kindergarten school markup.
View attachment 805177

Fascinating. I love my refresh S but it does suck that things like tiltable screen and ambient lighting were hyped by Tesla prior to release yet are completely absent. And even more annoying to think that they’d release it to new productions but wouldn’t retro it to a car purchased less than a year ago. I understand their incremental updates process, but this is something they had mentioned prior to release…

Keep in mind, Elon also said NyC to LA 100% hands free/no human input, by end of 2017. And Robotaxi service by end of 2019.

Tesla SAYS a lot of things...doesnt mean its true
Its a goal. They're not hitting them, but they're still trying like crazy. People probably sleeping on couches at Tesla over it. Let's give em some space and some time, they'll get there eventually.

I can't speak to Model 3 premium sound, just 2018 Model X and now loaner 2017 Model X, compared to my 2022 Model X. Sound systems do need a breakin period, so maybe it will get better.
This is exactly why I came to this thread. I'm hoping there is a break in period, since my Plaid system is not sounding as intimate/rich as my 2018. I even thought of putting the car in camping mode in the work parking lot all day playing old Prince.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
This isn’t an audiophile system. Break in period isn’t going to help you much.
All electronics have a break-in period, especially speakers, which have mechanical restrictions initially.
And this better be an audiophile system, considering its's price and self praise from Tesla (22 speakers, 960 watts)
From Tesla's website

Your Best Audio System​

A 22-speaker, 960-watt audio system with Active Road Noise Reduction offers the best listening experience wherever you are.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Fascinating. I love my refresh S but it does suck that things like tiltable screen and ambient lighting were hyped by Tesla prior to release yet are completely absent. And even more annoying to think that they’d release it to new productions but wouldn’t retro it to a car purchased less than a year ago. I understand their incremental updates process, but this is something they had mentioned prior to release…
I don't remember reading anything about the ambient lighting in question but the "tilting screen" was mentioned quite a bit
I want my swivel!

All electronics have a break-in period, especially speakers, which have mechanical restrictions initially.
And this better be an audiophile system, considering its's price and self praise from Tesla (22 speakers, 960 watts)
From Tesla's website

Your Best Audio System​

A 22-speaker, 960-watt audio system with Active Road Noise Reduction offers the best listening experience wherever you are.
What do you mean it better be an audiophile system considering its price?

I hate to break it to you, but you’re paying a premium for the battery. The rest of the vehicle is as low-cost as they can possibly make it.

Anyway, if you’re expecting a ML-style system, you’re going to be disappointed.

I hate to break it to you, but you’re paying a premium for the battery. The rest of the vehicle is as low-cost as they can possibly make it.

Yeah, they focus too much on cost reduction on the S and X. Kind of disappointing. At least they don't seem to do too much cost reduction when it comes to motors and performance, although they are re-used from the 3/Y.

I guess there's a reason why the Plaid is $130k instead of $200k like the Taycan.

Sounds like you either really like Tesla's batteries or you bought the wrong car since you are obviously not a fan of their quality or value

Reactions: cwanja and mspohr