Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S tires and wheels: all things (Plaid, LR, OEM, aftermkt, 19, 20, 21, summer, winter etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the issue is the width on the front tires needs to be less than 285. Not confirmed but that is what I have gathered from what other users are saying. I get bad howl on my Michelin all Seasons with 285 on the front.

I just switched my snow tire order from a square 285 setup to 255 front and 285 back. Should have them next month so will be able to confirm myself if they howl since they don’t have foam.

Are you running Signature Wheels? I’m running 20” sv105.

The Tesla parts catalog shows a 285 front and 305 rear tire widths for their 20” track pack tires. So if the offset is right the 285 width up front should be ok. I agree 295 might be too wide.

The Tesla parts catalog shows a 285 front and 305 rear tire widths for their 20” track pack tires. So if the offset is right the 285 width up front should be ok. I agree 295 might be too wide.
Yes, but I think it also largely depends on the tires used too. Think the track package will have Sport Cup 2s which might not cause the howl, but hard to tell without getting them installed.

What I have noticed is that most people complaining about howling are running Michelin All Seasons or PS4s on Signature Wheels with 285 or wider on front.

I’m just trying to gather as many data points as I can right now. My snow tires will be Perreli Sorzetto 3 with 255 fronts so that will be a good test. Different brand and width.

Yes, but I think it also largely depends on the tires used too. Think the track package will have Sport Cup 2s which might not cause the howl, but hard to tell without getting them installed.

What I have noticed is that most people complaining about howling are running Michelin All Seasons or PS4s on Signature Wheels with 285 or wider on front.

I’m just trying to gather as many data points as I can right now. My snow tires will be Perreli Sorzetto 3 with 255 fronts so that will be a good test. Different brand and width.
Oh I wasn’t thinking about the howl — just the fit.

narrower tires might howl too. especially without the foam it seems.

Oh I wasn’t thinking about the howl — just the fit.

narrower tires might howl too. especially without the foam it seems.
295/30-21 on 10.5 with the correct offset tucks in fine with no poke and no rub. What tread block pattern, compound, tire width, etc is harder to predict.
0B8CE9CB-3CDC-425D-839C-FEFAF778CC03.jpeg
7466CE40-97E4-4444-9006-1394FE8515E1.jpeg

Reactions: bhzmark
Looking to sell my Arachnids and go with a 20x10 square SV104 (brushed aluminum) setup.
Then I'll have the option to switch summer and winter tires on the same wheel (which I prefer the look of).
Winter option would be Michelin Ice-X snow 255/40R20(will stick with the Michelin Pilot S4 Summer in the summer).

Thoughts? Will I miss the feel/performance of the Arachnid setup?

Looking to sell my Arachnids and go with a 20x10 square SV104 (brushed aluminum) setup.
Then I'll have the option to switch summer and winter tires on the same wheel (which I prefer the look of).
Winter option would be Michelin Ice-X snow 255/40R20(will stick with the Michelin Pilot S4 Summer in the summer).

You are unlikely to miss the worse performance/feel and fragility of the 21” Arachnid setup.

This is why I bought 19". Keeping those, and putting winter tires on them, and getting a 20" 9.5/10.5 staggered setup from Signature (SV107's). Two sets of rims.

Reactions: bhzmark

Will you have tire stretch on 255/40R20 on a 20x10 rim? Is that something you are concerned about?

I am not expert, and this rim and winter tire shopping is driving me crazy. The original spec front rim size is 9.5" with a 265/35/21. I wondered if going to a 10" rim width and a 255/40/20 might be stretching that narrower width over an extra 0.5" of rim.
10" is typically the manufactures max width for a 255 tire. Just check the manufactures tire specs, it will list the approved wheel widths.

Reactions: vwman111
I am not expert, and this rim and winter tire shopping is driving me crazy. The original spec front rim size is 9.5" with a 265/35/21. I wondered if going to a 10" rim width and a 255/40/20 might be stretching that narrower width over an extra 0.5" of rim.
I would run at least a 265 on a 10”. 255 is too much stretch. You can go to tire rack and see the section width and tread width numbers to compare to the rim width.

Reactions: vwman111
Any news on what tires are now being delivered on the 19" LR Model S?
I read that they were delivering summer tires but that some people got all season tires.
I'm hoping for all season but would like to know what tires are being delivered. (My delivery is scheduled for the December end of quarter rush in California.)

Any news on what tires are now being delivered on the 19" LR Model S?
I read that they were delivering summer tires but that some people got all season tires.
I'm hoping for all season but would like to know what tires are being delivered. (My delivery is scheduled for the December end of quarter rush in California.)
I think it depends on where in California you are. In So Cal, I am told summer tires. I asked for all-seasons, and my car will be in Mammoth within days (hopefully weeks) after taking delivery. My delivery advisor put in a request.

Reactions: mspohr