Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S tires and wheels: all things (Plaid, LR, OEM, aftermkt, 19, 20, 21, summer, winter etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: Tire Rack called me this morning to let me know the the Sottozero tires are special order and aren’t expected to be in until the end of Jan. Instead he offered me Continental VikingContact 7s, which should be available around the 10th. They’re also a bit cheaper. They’re the same 255/45/19, though Tire Rack doesn’t even list that size on their website right now, I guess because they aren’t in stock. From what I can find I believe they are 104T rated. Is that going to be sufficient? I know that’s a lower speed rating, but I don’t expect to exceed even 100mph on my winter set.

Also, any reason that going with those 19x8.5 Rial Lugano wheels would be a bad idea? I know they’re skinny, but that seems okay for winter. Are there any downsides other than appearance?

So, I brought my MS into the SC yesterday to have them swap out my summer's for all-seasons. A couple hours later, I get a call saying that my wheels are already all-seasons, and it says so right on the tires. He insists. I'm like, "what?", and totally embarrassed. I come buy to pick up the car, and no where can I find where it says all-seasons. Now, it is my service advisor seems embarrassed. A technician comes out, and shows us the brand new replacement tires, which are EXACTLY the same as mine. Pirelli PZero's. They had inventory labels on them that said:

1420241-00-A 255/45R19 100Y, 19AS
1420242-00-A 285/40R19 103Y, 19AS

Looking here at TMC, those do seem to be the correct all-season tires. I am heading to the snow in a couple of days, and while it is too late for me to do anything about it now, I could use some reassurance.

So, I brought my MS into the SC yesterday to have them swap out my summer's for all-seasons. A couple hours later, I get a call saying that my wheels are already all-seasons, and it says so right on the tires. He insists. I'm like, "what?", and totally embarrassed. I come buy to pick up the car, and no where can I find where it says all-seasons. Now, it is my service advisor seems embarrassed. A technician comes out, and shows us the brand new replacement tires, which are EXACTLY the same as mine. Pirelli PZero's. They had inventory labels on them that said:

1420241-00-A 255/45R19 100Y, 19AS
1420242-00-A 285/40R19 103Y, 19AS

Looking here at TMC, those do seem to be the correct all-season tires. I am heading to the snow in a couple of days, and while it is too late for me to do anything about it now, I could use some reassurance.
There are many different versions of the P Zero tires. You need to look on the side to see if it shows the "M+S" (mud and snow) designation.

Reactions: bhzmark
My Plaid came with the PZero’s and they are NOT all-seasons (no M+S anywhere).

I wanted to swap them out for Michelin PSAS4 tires, which have great reviews, but they were sold out everywhere, so I settled for the stock Continental all-seasons (ProContact RX). These do say M+S on them.

Last edited:
Also, in case there’s any doubt about this: tire rack shows both PZeros and ProContacts as Original Equipment, but only the ProContacts as all-seasons (the PZeros are summer tires).

3614823F-352B-4DBF-8C2F-8D06CFD8980D.jpeg

40BBFB9B-49CA-40D2-A589-CFE071C49680.jpeg

Reactions: patgilm
I apologize if this has been answered and I missed it.

I have the 2021 model s refresh with 21in arachnid wheels. I need an inexpensive tire and rim combo for winter and do not completely understand what will work. Can someone explain what they would choose for a 19in rim in the 2-3k price range? I don't understand how offset etc affects what I can use. T sport line offers compatible rims but the offset numbers differ from the OEM wheels.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. Again that was my plan. To keep 21 and summers and swap them with the 19 winters. However not sure when will the backordered 19 winters come. Again the question was shall I keep driving the summers carefully till winters come in or shall pay for 21 AS to get me by till winters come in. Then I will end up with two sets of 21 summer and AS and a set of 19 winters

Oh I missed that you had 21" wheels. That makes it harder. I think your options are, in this order of preference:

1) get winter tires as fast as possible, so:
--try to get Tesla to deliver and make calls and make exceptions and do whatever they can to get the Tesla winter wheel and tire set.
--Since that likely won't work, find a 19" wheel setup, likely from tirerack, Tsportline, @SignatureWheel, Titan7, etc. You can get square or staggered -- square will be easier to find 4 tires for from the same place.
-- And also find winter tires in stock somewhere to be delivered to your house or to an install place. There are options out there for 21" wheels but they are harder to find than the 19" options. But try all the online places and calling local places.
-- the hard part might be finding a local place to mount and balance the whole arrangement. Tesla Service Centers are overloaded and probably most have stopped installing non-OEM tires and wheels. Many chain type places have a policy to not install tires that they don't sell you (even if you can get a tire from Simpletire.com that they cannot get you). Use the Hunter RoadForce website to find a place that has the fancy hunter balance machines to find a mount and balance place.

2) If you can't find winter tires then get All-seasons on your 21" to add to your tire collection, and get a barn to store all your off-season tires.

3) Keep the car in your garage when it is below freezing, even if totally dry. Some tire makers say even below 40 F. It should be ok as long as the tire is not moved under weight when below freezing -- that is what supposedly causes the cracking and damage to the tire.

Info above for @Sprfst also who asked a similar question while typing the above. Check with Tirerack, tsportline, @SignatureWheel (and see their thread Thread 'Refresh Model S LR/Plaid : Winter Tire Option' Vendor - Refresh Model S LR/Plaid : Winter Tire Option ) for info on what will fit on your refresh. It definitely doesn't have to be the same as stock -- the wheel wells are now more accomodating of lots of options.

Last edited:
I apologize if this has been answered and I missed it.

I have the 2021 model s refresh with 21in arachnid wheels. I need an inexpensive tire and rim combo for winter and do not completely understand what will work. Can someone explain what they would choose for a 19in rim in the 2-3k price range? I don't understand how offset etc affects what I can use. T sport line offers compatible rims but the offset numbers differ from the OEM wheels.

Thanks!

Maybe a quick read here will help give you a general idea of wheels and offsets: How to Understand Wheel Fitment, Offset, and Proper Sizing

Most aftermarket manufacturers will have a different wheel width and offset than OEM for a variety of reasons. Yes, our offsets and widths are different from the OEM wheels. Our reasons, we developed a custom wheel that allows owners to ROTATE their tires. Some might ask why our offset in the front is different from the offset in the back. The images below tell the story. Our 19x10" forged front wheel will sit outwards 6m compared to a factory 19" wheel and tire assembly, nominal. The rear will sit or push outwards about 9mm.

The new Model S is is much wider than the previous 2012-2020 model, so rest assured there's plenty of room to move the wheel/tire assembly to the outside.

Here's a nice snapshot comparing our 19" Forged solution to the your 19" factory wheels.

FRONT

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 6.13.40 PM.png

REAR

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 6.14.31 PM.png

Reactions: bhzmark
I need tires for my aftermarket 21's from Signature, with same specs as the OEM: 10.5 in rear and 9.5 in front.
Question: is there a difference between what Tesla may have, vs ordering from TireRack, such as foam insert, etc? I am having a lot of difficulty with my service center right now, and think it may be easier to go third party, using original TPMS sensors, of course.

I need tires for my aftermarket 21's from Signature, with same specs as the OEM: 10.5 in rear and 9.5 in front.
Question: is there a difference between what Tesla may have, vs ordering from TireRack, such as foam insert, etc? I am having a lot of difficulty with my service center right now, and think it may be easier to go third party, using original TPMS sensors, of course.
You can get the Tesla specific tires with the foam inserts third party, problem is almost all of them are on backorder and getting tires is a real issue right kow

Hello, looking for a quick gut check here. Have a plaid with 21 arachnids and summer tires. Need winter tires desperately and was wondering if I could use a barely used set of Vossen CV5 20x9 35MM Offset with 5x120 bolt pattern that I have with new Michelin X-Ice Snow 265/40 R20 tires on them. Square set up. I realize the rears will look small/narrow but need these only for winter driving. Can’t and don’t want to drove on those summers in Winter in the Chicago area. Don’t think I need or want spacers.

Thanks for any assurances or feedback!

Hello, looking for a quick gut check here. Have a plaid with 21 arachnids and summer tires. Need winter tires desperately and was wondering if I could use a barely used set of Vossen CV5 20x9 35MM Offset with 5x120 bolt pattern that I have with new Michelin X-Ice Snow 265/40 R20 tires on them. Square set up. I realize the rears will look small/narrow but need these only for winter driving. Can’t and don’t want to drove on those summers in Winter in the Chicago area. Don’t think I need or want spacers.

Thanks for any assurances or feedback!
Should be fine. Here it is for the front. Check the rear too. THe width is 10.5 and offset is 45 for the Tesla rears: Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

1643459005167.png