Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S tires and wheels: all things (Plaid, LR, OEM, aftermkt, 19, 20, 21, summer, winter etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for a set of MS Plaid 20" wheels. Who can hook me up? Thanks
This is what I went for:

Reactions: JFR
This is what I went for:

Unfortunately, that size further rear has been discontinued by Fast in both 19 and 20. No longer do this make anything wider than the 9.5 fronts.

There are very good, I have a set on my model 3 performance.

I tried all dealers in Canada and nobody has access to them anymore in the sizes for the Plaid.

Put the Michelin Pilot Alpin winter tires on the OE 19" wheels. The Alpins did not have any foam inserts and there is a very slight tire noise increase, but it's not bad at all and we will see if it decreases after a little tire wear.

I couldn't find any good winter tire options in stock in the 255, 285 sizes, so had to go up to 265 front and 295 rear for these. The extra 10 mm doesn't look any different and drives the same. They seem to be out of stock now though at simpletire.com where I found them. Good luck with the winter tire search.

Hello everyone, and happy T-day!
My apologies if this was previously answered. I am taking delivery of my MSLR with 19’s in a few days. Planning all-seasons for those, for long trips and for when I hit the slopes. I am getting a second summer set of 21’s from Jaime at Signature.
There is a distinct range difference between the two sets. Do you just deal with it, or is there a way to change the car’s config so it knows which wheels I am using? In the past, we could just call Tesla and have them change such options, including even car color. They are far less available now.
Thanks!

Hello everyone, and happy T-day!
My apologies if this was previously answered. I am taking delivery of my MSLR with 19’s in a few days. Planning all-seasons for those, for long trips and for when I hit the slopes. I am getting a second summer set of 21’s from Jaime at Signature.
There is a distinct range difference between the two sets. Do you just deal with it, or is there a way to change the car’s config so it knows which wheels I am using? In the past, we could just call Tesla and have them change such options, including even car color. They are far less available now.
Thanks!
You can change the wheel config in the Service menu.

IMG_6023D.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and 4SUPER9
Hey guys.. need your advice.

I'm taking delivery of a Plaid in mid-December. The car is confirmed to be coming in with high-performance 21" summer tires when it's -14 C (6.8 F) and probably a foot of snow outside. SA recommended booking a nearby shop to swap winters on for me.

I'm worried about this:

“Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.”

I'll have to drive it at least a few KM from the service center to the tire shop. Wtf do I do?

Last edited:
Hey guys.. need your advice.

I'm taking delivery of a Plaid in mid-December. The car is confirmed to be coming in with high-performance 21" summer tires when it's -14 C (6.8 F) and probably a foot of snow outside. SA recommended booking a nearby shop to swap winters on for me.

I'm worried about this:

“Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.”

I'll have to drive it at least a few KM from the service center to the tire shop. Wtf do I do?
On the same boat, I am having the car flat bedded to my home so I can swap the tires myself

Not a lot of clearance there! I didn't write down what sarugby4life said the front offset was and the post was conveniently removed. LOL I'm trying to do 21x10.5 square and I'm lowered on links set at 8mm. I put my old set of 21's from my 21 MSP on for now. I put one of the rears on the front just to see how it fit which are 10.5's +35 and they poke just a little. I wish I would have saw this picture of the clearance while I had it on there so I could've seen how much clearance I had. I think +42 to +44 is what I need. But now I'm scared that might bring it in too much? Here is a pic from when it was on. What do you think? I like how flush yours sit. Don't know that I want any flusher than that.

Attachments

• PXL_20211120_220006177.jpg
    PXL_20211120_220006177.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 95
  • PXL_20211120_215949762.jpg
    PXL_20211120_215949762.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 93
  • PXL_20211120_215940907.jpg
    PXL_20211120_215940907.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 119
  • PXL_20211121_043737902.jpg
    PXL_20211121_043737902.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 112
It doesn't snow enough around here to warrant snow tires so I put in a service request to replace my 19" summers for all seasons. Tesla came back with a quote of $1160+$128 labor. Anyone have ideas on how to get them to waive the charge as the car should never have shipped with all seasons?

It doesn't snow enough around here to warrant snow tires so I put in a service request to replace my 19" summers for all seasons. Tesla came back with a quote of $1160+$128 labor. Anyone have ideas on how to get them to waive the charge as the car should never have shipped with all seasons?
I'm guessing you meant "should have never shipped with summers"? If so, doesn't it say it ships with summers on the order page?

Here is my order just placed with Wheelwiz. Posting it here with the hopes that some other folks can confirm everything looks appropriate (my eyes are buggy from looking at so many wheels and tires), and that it might be helpful for others looking for winter wheels and tires.

1638138686662.png

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
^ Looks good. Just double-check the hub rings you get are 74.1mm OD to 64.1 ID and you're good to go.

The 265 are a bit oversized for a 10mm rim (255/40R20 is a 1:1 fit), but there won't be any fitment issues - the rubber will just sit beyond the rim by a few mm. Often times that is a good thing as it protects the rim better.

Reactions: canucklehead
New on the website, but of course out of stock:

View attachment 742862

Not a bad price. I think a few sets sold for more than that with summers in the classified.

I'll be taking my new MSLR to the mountains in a few weeks. While I have found the MS to be an outstanding performer in the snow, there have been a few occasions over the years where I did require chains. Very few. Most of the time, my MS smoothly handles the snow, when most other cars fail.
For those times when I do need chains, I have always put them in the front. That seems to be the standard practice by most drivers in the mountains. I just read the owner's manual, and it advised me to only put them on the rear. Also, my car was delivered with summer tires. Tesla has agreed to swap them, but not sure if that will happen before I leave.

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts.