Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldnt call the model s a “new model” and they’ve had more than a few vehicles roll off the assembly line by now.
That vehicle is pure garbage, plain and simple. For them to try and push it off on a customer is just more proof of Tesla employees not giving a damn. They only care about delivering a vehicle, whether or not that vehicles is in good condition is irrelevant to them.

Today I rejected delivery of the second Model S. I found 24 (yes, twenty four) different defects plus vehicle had all kinds of grease stains in the interior. Don't ask for pictures, I didn't have the morale to take any of them. When I confronted the advisor he said because of high volume they don't have the time to inspect and clean the cars. He was speechless about all the defects I found... The trunk didn't even close!

I'm done trying to buy a Tesla car. On paper they are the best electric vehicles, build quality is far inferior to the $20k I paid for a new prius c 7 years ago.

Today I rejected delivery of the second Model S. I found 24 (yes, twenty four) different defects plus vehicle had all kinds of grease stains in the interior. Don't ask for pictures, I didn't have the morale to take any of them. When I confronted the advisor he said because of high volume they don't have the time to inspect and clean the cars. He was speechless about all the defects I found... The trunk didn't even close!

I'm done trying to buy a Tesla car. On paper they are the best electric vehicles, build quality is far inferior to the $20k I paid for a new prius c 7 years ago.
That’s unfortunate. It seems as though Tesla keeps trying to beat previous quarter delivery numbers at the expense of their customers.
The question Id ask Elon is when does this stop? When do they stop trying to top delivery numbers and start making quality cars?

Hmmm I am beginning to see why quality used vehicles are commanding a large price.

Can you clarify " the trunk even close"? I am assuming you meant the front. Seems rather hard to drive that way...

M
The trunk (not the front funk) didn't close when using the button. I could close it manually by hand.

The frunk had alignment issues outside and inside but since it doesn't have a liftgate I could close it manually no problem. Also one of the pieces inside the frunk (it looks like a big button on each side) looked damaged, like it was hit too hard with a hammer.

I just took delivery of my 2021 MS LR+ yesterday and initially found a bunch of smaller cosmetic issues. Then I got home and found that rear trunk is completely misaligned and the front passenger side door doesn’t close properly. It needs to be slammed hard in order for the window to roll up. Very frustrating and disappointing. I hope they take care of it all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• E5B4FDA9-24EB-484C-B5B6-B114AB444E51.jpeg
    E5B4FDA9-24EB-484C-B5B6-B114AB444E51.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 164
  • 4E505C99-10DE-40C1-91FE-DFFB6FFA50A1.jpeg
    4E505C99-10DE-40C1-91FE-DFFB6FFA50A1.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 133
  • D1618DF2-8719-4915-AA28-8D6F112C1A16.jpeg
    D1618DF2-8719-4915-AA28-8D6F112C1A16.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 97F7F0FE-AA22-4B0D-A501-99EEDE3F8B0F.jpeg
    97F7F0FE-AA22-4B0D-A501-99EEDE3F8B0F.jpeg
    307.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I just took delivery of my 2021 MS LR+ yesterday and initially found a bunch of smaller cosmetic issues. Then I got home and found that rear trunk is completely misaligned and the front passenger side door doesn’t close properly. It needs to be slammed hard in order for the window to roll up. Very frustrating and disappointing. I hope they take care of it all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Schedule a service visit and have them fix it. And hope it’s not considered “within spec”

That’s unfortunate. It seems as though Tesla keeps trying to beat previous quarter delivery numbers at the expense of their customers.
The question Id ask Elon is when does this stop? When do they stop trying to top delivery numbers and start making quality cars?

I would like to see the end-of-quarter rushes to stop - it's like it's "push it through, get it done and out the door no matter what". I'm sure that's responsible for a majority of the issues. Overall, the quality needs to be addressed in the production line and inspections prior to shipping. So much of the complaints suggest they need a revamp of the inspection and repair lines. Pushing the load onto the service centers only means they can't work on fixing problems on purchased cars and lowering the opinions of the customers while lengthening the repair timelines.

• Love
Reactions: TSLA Pilot and AMPd
Is anyone getting defect free cars? I am close to getting a delivery date and wondering if there is any hope of having a good experience. I realize more people probably vent on bad issues than people posting "everything was perfect", but seems to me there are a lot of people on this forum with found issues at delivery.

First of all, for many people there is no such thing as a perfect high production car. Some seem capable of finding and posting about the smallest of issues. A speck of dust, a smudge, a finger print on a headliner. Any wind noise, imperfect panel gaps or perhaps precise gaps, but on one side it calipers slightly different than the other side. In other words there are lots of super picky people, with impossibly high standards, that seem to take glee in posting ultra high resolution close ups of what others would find perfectly acceptable.

On the other hand, Tesla is not famous for World Class fit & finish. Some cars come off the line that never should be presented to a customer, and of course those also get their 15 minutes of fame on the forums. Tesla is working like crazy to make these better, as obviously the want to get their warranty costs as low as possible. Better quality is something they are focusing on with better manufacturing technology like the new large castings etc.

It is normal for a forum reading customer to worry that their car will come with many of the defects they read about, but for the most part new owers are delighted with their new cars, and those worries fade away soon after taking delivery.

When they are delivering tens of thousands of vehicles every month, some are gonna need some post delivery attention at their service centers. Lots of posts from new customers that small issues are quickly corrected by the service centers and that they become satified customers.

FIA (forum induced anxiety) is real. Something most people waiting for delivery experience.

Is anyone getting defect free cars? I am close to getting a delivery date and wondering if there is any hope of having a good experience. I realize more people probably vent on bad issues than people posting "everything was perfect", but seems to me there are a lot of people on this forum with found issues at delivery.

I took delivery last week and the car was good to go with no issues. Same for several others picking up their deliveries alongside of us - lot of happy folks. I will say this was my second attempt at a Model S. It had problems with the back hatch not shutting and could not be repaired without having to go to a body shop plus there was a gash on the side mirror. I refused that delivery but the one from last week I was very pleased with aka "no issues!" On the Model 3 front, they got it right first try at delivery.

It'll likely go fine for you and hope it's smooth sailing!

All I can say is holy *sugar* Tesla is not a service company! Nothings really changed. I have a service appt. for Dec 2. to get the issues addressed. Who knows how many they’ll actually fix. Calling didn’t help I was basically told as long as the problems were reported before I hit 100 miles I’d be OK. We will see how it goes next week.
At least they answered. I called yesterday to see if I can move up the time of delivery Monday by 2 hours. No one answered and the reps voicemail is not set up. Cant make it up.

I pick up my Model S Sat. I'm very excited to say the least. I've been working with the Tesla store in Columbus, OH. They have been great. Very responsive to all my calls and questions, which have been many. After reading the some of the negative vibes got to say many nervous feelings. I have learned so much much from this and other forums, so thanks. I will keep you posted on Saturday. But so far I have been very satisfied with the SA and the process. Hope you are having a great day. My delivery date was the 30th, it arrived Tuesday nite. They had to detail and inspect said could pick up Friday.

Reactions: COS Blue