Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model X, Monroney Sticker Range Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this in my towing thread, but it appears that Tesla merely changed the rated consumption on a LR++ compared to an LR+. The usable capacity seems to be the same. That is:

LR+
Rated Range:
Rated Consumption: 300Wh/mi
Usable Capacity (RR x RC): 105.3kWh

LR++
Rated Range:
Rated Consumption: 284Wh/mi

This is obvious from the energy app, where you can see that the bar for rated consumption has dropped to 284Wh/mi.

So it begs the question, why does an H pack matter compared to a G pack?

I posted this in my towing thread, but it appears that Tesla merely changed the rated consumption on a LR++ compared to an LR+. The usable capacity seems to be the same. That is:

LR+
Rated Range:

LR++
Rated Range:

This is obvious from the energy app, where you can see that the bar for rated consumption has dropped to 284Wh/mi.

Tesla wants to hit 500k deliveries this year so they're willing to do anything to increase the sales. They had to differentiate between people buying inventory and used cars and those buying newer ones somehow

LR+
Rated Range:

LR++
Rated Range:

Where does the 105.3 usable capacity come from? I thought they were both 100kWh packs?

LR+
Rated Range:

LR++
Rated Range:

It could be that updated hardware and/or algorithms are what is allowing the lower rated consumption. So it may not be the H pack that is the key, it might be some other hardware change that was made at the same time as the H packs started being installed.

And it seems that @Babadudu confirms that the changes aren't the battery pack.

Last edited:
Nope, I checked the passenger foot well sticker myself. I contemplated to accept delivery under the burning sun for 30 min until I said f it.
20201021_222634.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Great news! Just picked up my 2020 today, had a difficult time deciding if we are accepting delivery because we got a G battery. Advisor reassured that we will get the 371 range update. went into the car and can confirm the range is 371 indeed! View attachment 601018

Dude,
If I were you I’ll return it within the 7 day return.

That’s the odometer with total miles driven and not the range.

Great news! Just picked up my 2020 today, had a difficult time deciding if we are accepting delivery because we got a G battery. Advisor reassured that we will get the 371 range update. went into the car and can confirm the range is 371 indeed! View attachment 601018

Please post a picture of the battery pack sticker. You would be the first and only G pack owner with extra range.

Dude,
If I were you I’ll return it within the 7 day return.

That’s the odometer with total miles driven and not the range.

Lmao, omg feels stupido_O sorry guys. I tricked my own eyes, I guess I was too excited to get something new during this time and the number matched. The miles are due to it being a showroom demo.

I checked the app and on max charge it is showing as 353 miles. I guess that's the more accurate number. Already installed the 20.48 last night.
Screenshot_20201022-072554_Tesla.jpg

Attachments

• 20201021_222233_resized.jpg
    20201021_222233_resized.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 84
Lmao, omg feels stupido_O sorry guys. I tricked my own eyes, I guess I was too excited to get something new during this time and the number matched. The miles are due to it being a showroom demo.

I checked the app and on max charge it is showing as 353 miles. I guess that's the more accurate number. Already installed the 20.48 last night.View attachment 601264

That screen did look odd! I didn't think range was displayed on that screen. Thanks for posting the correction.

LR+
Rated Range:

LR++
Rated Range:

Tis indeed a mystery! Here’s my take: H has higher usable capacity around 105 kWh due to improved chemistry. But Tesla handled the change by decreasing the Wh efficiency number instead of changing the pack energy size. Either because they are lazy or don’t want to start a “capacity gate” and change the 100 kWh battery spec. If you think about it, this is an easy way to handle the larger capacity. Just change make the efficiency figure better, so SOC is depleted more slowly. I think Tesla increased the capacity instead of improved efficiency because the software update notes said “more accurately reflect the battery capacity”.

If Tesla in fact did this, then my long drive test won’t answer the question. The consumption numbers will be too low! For example it will show 10.0 kWh consumed when in fact it’s 10.5 kWh. If true, I am unhappy with this change since the energy meter is wrong, I am an engineer and numbers are sacred, I need to be able to trust my tech. I hope it’s a bug and they fix it. The only way we will know is to test a new cell or insert an energy meter between the battery and motors.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, just noticed the model x performance 2021 is showing range epa at 300 miles on the tesla inventory?! Thought the new 2021 versions had an epa of 341 for the performance model?

Btw
I recently picked up my brand new model x 2020 the last week of September and still haven’t received an update with the range increase as I’ve seen for a few others with a 2020 September built model x. Anyone have any idea on whether or not some of us will see a software update that was give us the extra 20 miles of range?

Attachments

• D6E24D6B-5B26-4918-8EAC-D0441D51A5E5.png
    D6E24D6B-5B26-4918-8EAC-D0441D51A5E5.png
    431.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Hello everyone, just noticed the model x performance 2021 is showing range epa at 300 miles on the tesla inventory?! Thought the new 2021 versions had an epa of 341 for the performance model?

Btw
I recently picked up my brand new model x 2020 the last week of September and still haven’t received an update with the range increase as I’ve seen for a few others with a 2020 September built model x. Anyone have any idea on whether or not some of us will see a software update that was give us the extra 20 miles of range?

Tesla has finally started adjusting range for Model X 22" wheels. If you search for a H pack on 20" wheels it will show 341 mile range.

Regarding your 2020, you will only get the extra range if you have an H pack. You can find your battery pack revision behind the front passenger wheel.