Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Year Refresh: Owners' Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got to love the Tesla apologists on Twitter. They're pretending like us requesting the MCU upgrade for Steam access and getting $2,000 quotes is our fault, because we are not waiting for the "bulletin" to come out.

Why was Steam launched without all of the ducks in a row, including the bulletins, emails, etc addressing how they're going to put out the fires when all of the 2021 to early 2022 model owners find out they were lied to?

Tesla went from getting single games approved to using steam to fulfill the “ps5 level games” in the car. Therefore as that’s what we bought. It is on them. They can’t just give us cyberpunk and Witcher 3 as those were used to demonstrate the “ps5 level” games. The only way you can play those. Is with steam. So. Lol.

Reactions: Plaid21 and Ramphex
Got to love the Tesla apologists on Twitter. They're pretending like us requesting the MCU upgrade for Steam access and getting $2,000 quotes is our fault, because we are not waiting for the "bulletin" to come out.

Why was Steam launched without all of the ducks in a row, including the bulletins, emails, etc addressing how they're going to put out the fires when all of the 2021 to early 2022 model owners find out they were lied to?

There's being a Tesla apologist, and then there's common sense.

The moment that Autopilot HW3.0 was detected publicly in 2018, the same thing happened. We saw dozens of vehicle owners flood service centers asking when they could upgrade their Model 3/Ys and were either given the cold shoulder or told they'd have to pay out of pocket. Many were told it would be $4-5K R&R, so most refused and went to Twitter like you did, barking at every soul alive about foul play.

Despite everyone's best attempts to reassure those complaining, as with you, most ignored common sense and believed they would be made an example of and go without what was promised. It would only be a couple of weeks later when Elon finally tweeted, stating, "Will be done free of charge for those who ordered full self-driving."

History repeats itself. You've chosen to ignore literal Tesla employees who replied to your tweet asking you to give it time and to wait for a bulletin and dismissed their contributions to the conversation. You're being blamed for getting $2,000 R&R quotes because nobody, whether Tesla or Elon, has publicly stated, "go and bother your service center for this" yet. Tesla notoriously has poor internal communication; it can take weeks for some news to be widely distributed among service teams. It is wishful thinking to believe that they would have a bulletin prepared less than a week after Elon shared on Twitter that a retrofit should be possible. An R&R (Remove and Replace) is not a retrofit.

As with the backup camera recalls (which you also chose to ignore on Twitter), anyone who wished to have this worked on before it was ready for their vehicle was expected to pay ~$295. Or you could be patient and wait a few weeks for your service center to contact you via the mobile app.

While the "next-gen capabilities" have been advertised since the Palladium refresh, there was no clear direction for how Tesla would accomplish this until earlier this year when they decided to switch from native implementations to using Steam's new OS/application in a VM. Until this week, it also didn't matter logistically what hardware was in their vehicles, as nothing yet made use of the upgraded MCU-Z.

It is valid to be frustrated. It is valid to be put off by being told to expect something upon delivery, which wasn't true. But to directly and voluntarily do something you weren't told to do, and then complain when it doesn't go your way, feels misguided.

I am trying to understand the discussion and emotions surrounding it - sitting in your car in the garage or driveway and playing cutting edge video games is a thing? And that is better than a game console in the house because?
Who knows, but Elon seems to think so as he has put a lot of Tesla resources into non driving features, like games!

Reactions: Ramphex
I am trying to understand the discussion and emotions surrounding it - sitting in your car in the garage or driveway and playing cutting edge video games is a thing? And that is better than a game console in the house because?
Huh than why even have Netflix ? Or hulu or say any other entertainment app. The point is car is not always parked in front of your home or in garage. Than in some places people get blackout for hours in winter season. So its nice to have those features.

Now on other hand I agree I would give priority to other much needed features like Multi Bluetooth support for audio to split rear screen audio and stuff..

Also now Honda is trying to copy Steam like integration or something similar :)

The real value of this would be when you're NOT home.
There's countless times when I go to drop off/pick someone up from a doctor's appt/event and you might be stuck sitting in your car for awhile. Most people kill this type of time on their phone. Why not use the giant screen and sound system around you....

There's being a Tesla apologist, and then there's common sense.

The moment that Autopilot HW3.0 was detected publicly in 2018, the same thing happened. We saw dozens of vehicle owners flood service centers asking when they could upgrade their Model 3/Ys and were either given the cold shoulder or told they'd have to pay out of pocket. Many were told it would be $4-5K R&R, so most refused and went to Twitter like you did, barking at every soul alive about foul play.

Despite everyone's best attempts to reassure those complaining, as with you, most ignored common sense and believed they would be made an example of and go without what was promised. It would only be a couple of weeks later when Elon finally tweeted, stating, "Will be done free of charge for those who ordered full self-driving."

History repeats itself. You've chosen to ignore literal Tesla employees who replied to your tweet asking you to give it time and to wait for a bulletin and dismissed their contributions to the conversation. You're being blamed for getting $2,000 R&R quotes because nobody, whether Tesla or Elon, has publicly stated, "go and bother your service center for this" yet. Tesla notoriously has poor internal communication; it can take weeks for some news to be widely distributed among service teams. It is wishful thinking to believe that they would have a bulletin prepared less than a week after Elon shared on Twitter that a retrofit should be possible. An R&R (Remove and Replace) is not a retrofit.

As with the backup camera recalls (which you also chose to ignore on Twitter), anyone who wished to have this worked on before it was ready for their vehicle was expected to pay ~$295. Or you could be patient and wait a few weeks for your service center to contact you via the mobile app.

While the "next-gen capabilities" have been advertised since the Palladium refresh, there was no clear direction for how Tesla would accomplish this until earlier this year when they decided to switch from native implementations to using Steam's new OS/application in a VM. Until this week, it also didn't matter logistically what hardware was in their vehicles, as nothing yet made use of the upgraded MCU-Z.

It is valid to be frustrated. It is valid to be put off by being told to expect something upon delivery, which wasn't true. But to directly and voluntarily do something you weren't told to do, and then complain when it doesn't go your way, feels misguided.

If Tesla did not want these issues to occur, they would’ve handled the “bulletin” or the email, or whatever method of communication PRIOR to rolling out the update. How long prior to the Steam release do you think they knew that THIS exact situation will be an issue?

Just because the company handles some *sugar* poorly in the past, doesn’t mean they automatically get excused to do it again in the future.

“But to directly and voluntarily do something you weren't told to do, and then complain when it doesn't go your way, feels misguided.” - sure thing boss, the only problem is WE WERE NOT TOLD TO DO ANYTHING AT ALL. The hack can go on his Twitter and say something, but he doesn’t care to.

Simple Tweet of “16GB RAM upgrades will be coming to OG refreshes Q1-Q2 of 2023, free of charge” would settle ALL the issues. The fact that he DOES NOT say that, indicates possibility for upcoming foul play.

If Tesla did not want these issues to occur, they would’ve handled the “bulletin” or the email, or whatever method of communication PRIOR to rolling out the update. How long prior to the Steam release do you think they knew that THIS exact situation will be an issue?

Just because the company handles some *sugar* poorly in the past, doesn’t mean they automatically get excused to do it again in the future.

“But to directly and voluntarily do something you weren't told to do, and then complain when it doesn't go your way, feels misguided.” - sure thing boss, the only problem is WE WERE NOT TOLD TO DO ANYTHING AT ALL. The hack can go on his Twitter and say something, but he doesn’t care to.

Simple Tweet of “16GB RAM upgrades will be coming to OG refreshes Q1-Q2 of 2023, free of charge” would settle ALL the issues. The fact that he DOES NOT say that, indicates possibility for upcoming foul play.

Disregarding this has been mentioned several times, Tesla has never released bulletins before a hardware change occurs. They did not expect or care about issues because it's entirely your choice to be upset about something that didn't matter a week ago. This exact situation is an issue because of your unwillingness to be mindful or respectful of viewpoints that differ from your own. You're frustrated and acting out upon it instead of reasoning, which is evident by your disregard for Tesla's responses.

If Tesla did not want these issues to occur, they would’ve handled the “bulletin” or the email, or whatever method of communication PRIOR to rolling out the update.

The issue you're referring to is expecting a retrofit to be available on your terms, not the company. Thankfully, other service centers have acted more rationally and stated a retrofit is not available at this time and to check back later. This has been said to you on Twitter, here, and now to other vehicle owners who have inquired.

The hack can go on his Twitter and say something, but he doesn’t care to.
Based on your other comments, you have no respect for Tesla's CEO, and I apologize that I can't force him to tweet everything you desire. You've shown you could care less about official responses from Tesla's Service Team.

You want the CEO to respond to your complaint, and the responses of employees who have just as much say on the matter isn't good enough for you.

If you have a problem with how the company communicates or if you believe there has been foul play, then I suggest:
1. Sell your vehicle.
2. File a class action lawsuit.
3. Learn to be patient.

Most suggest #3. Cheers.

Edit:

If it isn't clear, I am completely supportive of every Model S and X (2021+) vehicle owner receiving a retrofit for free and promptly. You shouldn't be expected to pay for something promised to you upon taking delivery of your vehicle.

However, I am not supportive of vehicle owners throwing tantrums and bothering service employees (or calling foul play) when you haven't even waited a week to see how this plays out. Instead, you're feeding into conspiracy theories that you'll be made an example of and have to pay thousands of dollars or otherwise that you've been wronged.

Grow up and be patient.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
Disregarding this has been mentioned several times, Tesla has never released bulletins before a hardware change occurs. They did not expect or care about issues because it's entirely your choice to be upset about something that didn't matter a week ago. This exact situation is an issue because of your unwillingness to be mindful or respectful of viewpoints that differ from your own. You're frustrated and acting out upon it instead of reasoning, which is evident by your disregard for Tesla's responses.

The issue you're referring to is expecting a retrofit to be available on your terms, not the company. Thankfully, other service centers have acted more rationally and stated a retrofit is not available at this time and to check back later. This has been said to you on Twitter, here, and now to other vehicle owners who have inquired.

Based on your other comments, you have no respect for Tesla's CEO, and I apologize that I can't force him to tweet everything you desire. You've shown you could care less about official responses from Tesla's Service Team.

You want the CEO to respond to your complaint, and the responses of employees who have just as much say on the matter isn't good enough for you.

If you have a problem with how the company communicates or if you believe there has been foul play, then I suggest:
1. Sell your vehicle.
2. File a class action lawsuit.
3. Learn to be patient.

Most suggest #3. Cheers.

1) I have not gotten any responses from any employees. I’m going by a multitude of responses different people got from different service centers. If you’re referencing a EX employee from Twitter, he didn’t say anything but a vague “I’m sure a bulletin is coming” comment.

2) I don’t have to respect anyone. Respect isn’t given, it’s earned. Being a CEO or being wealthy isn’t going to by default earn any of my respect. Though off the start, everyone gets respect, but as the time goes on and they lose that respect because of their actions, well that’s on them.

3) I’m not upset about something that didn’t matter a week ago. It has mattered for 1.5 years, but I chose to patiently wait, and in the end I got a slap in the face for my patience. Conveniently my #3 meets your #3. 1.5 years of patience is plenty. Now it has ran out. If you weren’t so close minded on the situation you would realize that this isn’t a brand new issue within past week and we’re all upset, it’s been an issue since we got our cars.

4) It’s rather disappointing to see the “CEO” Tweet a bunch of daily garbage when his customers go for weeks without answers. I dealt with this issue with my order, 02/21 with a promise of 2-4 weeks. Did not get the car until 7/31. Nonexistent communication in between. There were calls, emails, tweets, someone even created a petition that we all signed requesting SOME sort of update on whether we’ll ever get our cars and/or approximate time frame, got ghosted all along. Second was with Tesla Solar, I wasted 6 weeks contacting them via email, phone calls, etc after placing my order, submitting pictures, down payment, bills, etc to either get answers of “I’m not sure, I would have to escalate this to another team” or not hearing anything back from anyone. Now we’re 1.5 years deep into the gaming I’ve been waiting for since the reveal, and this happens with once again no communication. Tesla ONLY cares to take your money (god forbid you don’t pay them right away, they’ll give your car to someone else). After you pay though, they forget you ever existed.

You have your experiences and I have mine.

Keep on apologizing for Tesla, they don’t have enough apologists already. Let me guess, you’re one of the guys who became rich off the Tesla stocks so now you’ll just forgive any of their wrongdoing because you got yours? I could be wrong, but I’ve seen quite a bit of that lately.

1) I have not gotten any responses from any employees. I’m going by a multitude of responses different people got from different service centers. If you’re referencing a EX employee from Twitter, he didn’t say anything but a vague “I’m sure a bulletin is coming” comment.

2) I don’t have to respect anyone. Respect isn’t given, it’s earned. Being a CEO or being wealthy isn’t going to by default earn any of my respect. Though off the start, everyone gets respect, but as the time goes on and they lose that respect because of their actions, well that’s on them.

3) I’m not upset about something that didn’t matter a week ago. It has mattered for 1.5 years, but I chose to patiently wait, and in the end I got a slap in the face for my patience. Conveniently my #3 meets your #3. 1.5 years of patience is plenty. Now it has ran out. If you weren’t so close minded on the situation you would realize that this isn’t a brand new issue within past week and we’re all upset, it’s been an issue since we got our cars.

4) It’s rather disappointing to see the “CEO” Tweet a bunch of daily garbage when his customers go for weeks without answers. I dealt with this issue with my order, 02/21 with a promise of 2-4 weeks. Did not get the car until 7/31. Nonexistent communication in between. There were calls, emails, tweets, someone even created a petition that we all signed requesting SOME sort of update on whether we’ll ever get our cars and/or approximate time frame, got ghosted all along. Second was with Tesla Solar, I wasted 6 weeks contacting them via email, phone calls, etc after placing my order, submitting pictures, down payment, bills, etc to either get answers of “I’m not sure, I would have to escalate this to another team” or not hearing anything back from anyone. Now we’re 1.5 years deep into the gaming I’ve been waiting for since the reveal, and this happens with once again no communication. Tesla ONLY cares to take your money (god forbid you don’t pay them right away, they’ll give your car to someone else). After you pay though, they forget you ever existed.

You have your experiences and I have mine.

Keep on apologizing for Tesla, they don’t have enough apologists already. Let me guess, you’re one of the guys who became rich off the Tesla stocks so now you’ll just forgive any of their wrongdoing because you got yours? I could be wrong, but I’ve seen quite a bit of that lately.

I constantly criticize the company, including in this thread, which you're blind to, apparently. They have awful internal communication, miss timelines/deadlines, and often fall short of expectations. You can keep that "Tesla apologist" bullshit to yourself.

I've only ever owned a single TSLA stock (as a joke) because I receive NDA-breaking information frequently from employees (past and present) and manage the most popular and accessible Tesla third-party service (which shares said information publicly), so your narrative is far from reality.

Good try, though! This arguing derails the conversation, so I will cut it short here. I've given my stance, so have a wonderful day.

I constantly criticize the company, including in this thread, which you're blind to, apparently. They have awful internal communication, miss timelines/deadlines, and often fall short of expectations. You can keep that "Tesla apologist" bullshit to yourself.

I've only ever owned a single TSLA stock (as a joke) because I receive NDA-breaking information frequently from employees (past and present) and manage the most popular and accessible Tesla third-party services, so your narrative is far from reality.

Good try though!
If that’s the case, then why are your panties all up in a bunch over people, including me, being pissed off that 1.5 years later they get shafted on something they were promised before they even received their vehicles?

We waited, and waited, and waited, and nothing. No “console quality gaming” and no communication about it regarding our cars. Now we’re trying to raise a stink about the situation on here, on Twitter, and elsewhere, and all of the sudden, Tyler Mister The TeslaScope himself, is here with a shield and sword to defend Tesla’s actions and give us lectures that we’re wrong and we’re impatient.

What’s your solution? Wait more? To find ourselves 2-3 years into this situation with STILL no answers? Look how the FSD thing has played out for all the original adopters, they’re still waiting.

Maybe that’s how you deal with your issues, by sitting around and waiting, but you’re not me, and if you were me, then I would be you, and then I would use your body to get to the top.

If that’s the case, then why are your panties all up in a bunch over people, including me, being pissed off that 1.5 years later they get shafted on something they were promised before they even received their vehicles?

We waited, and waited, and waited, and nothing. No “console quality gaming” and no communication about it regarding our cars. Now we’re trying to raise a stink about the situation on here, on Twitter, and elsewhere, and all of the sudden, Tyler Mister The TeslaScope himself, is here with a shield and sword to defend Tesla’s actions and give us lectures that we’re wrong and we’re impatient.

What’s your solution? Wait more? To find ourselves 2-3 years into this situation with STILL no answers? Look how the FSD thing has played out for all the original adopters, they’re still waiting.

Maybe that’s how you deal with your issues, by sitting around and waiting, but you’re not me, and if you were me, then I would be you, and then I would use your body to get to the top.

I am close friends with employees and managers who work at Service Centers. It bothers me when their job is made more stressful due to unnecessary service ticket traffic or vehicle owners being misled by something they read online.

Your frustrations are valid, and I get it. I'm an avid gamer, and if I had chosen to support Tesla and purchased a Model S/X in 2021 (and even earlier this year) and couldn't utilize Steam gaming, I'm sure I'd feel the same as well.

The difference, however, is my perspective because of those friendships and knowing what threads like this can cause an influx of requests. Each and every service request has to be read, responded to, and usually monitored for days before marking it as resolved. This becomes the personal responsibility of the service employee, and if they are deemed as having done something incorrectly, they can either be marked up for it or just the weight of knowing they've let someone down. Many are vehicle owners like you, who understand how it feels to be told no.

Those employees who provided the price of $2,000, for all intents and purposes, shouldn't have done so and instead should have responded that a retrofit wasn't available yet. As I've said before, this is the problem of a lack of solid internal communication at times between service teams and as a result, it causes further confusion for vehicle owners like yourself. If the response every time was consistent, you'd at least be less worried about the potential of having to pay out of pocket. Again, you can consider this speculation, but this is extremely unlikely to be the case once a bulletin is made.

I'm not trying to shield or defend Tesla's actions. They've disappointed you and made you wait awhile. That sucks! That'd suck for me too if I was in the same situation, and I apologize if I've lectured at you.

You asked for my solution so here it is again; the best (and only solution for the moment) is just to keep waiting. I expect a proper response from service to be made available in less than a month, especially since Elon has confirmed a retrofit will be available, just without clarifying when.

<3

I am close friends with employees and managers who work at Service Centers. It bothers me when their job is made more stressful due to unnecessary service ticket traffic or vehicle owners being misled by something they read online.

Your frustrations are valid, and I get it. I'm an avid gamer, and if I had chosen to support Tesla and purchased a Model S/X in 2021 (and even earlier this year) and couldn't utilize Steam gaming, I'm sure I'd feel the same as well.

The difference, however, is my perspective because of those friendships and knowing what threads like this can cause an influx of requests. Each and every service request has to be read, responded to, and usually monitored for days before marking it as resolved. This becomes the personal responsibility of the service employee, and if they are deemed as having done something incorrectly, they can either be marked up for it or just the weight of knowing they've let someone down. Many are vehicle owners like you, who understand how it feels to be told no.

Those employees who provided the price of $2,000, for all intents and purposes, shouldn't have done so and instead should have responded that a retrofit wasn't available yet. As I've said before, this is the problem of a lack of solid internal communication at times between service teams and as a result, it causes further confusion for vehicle owners like yourself. If the response every time was consistent, you'd at least be less worried about the potential of having to pay out of pocket. Again, you can consider this speculation, but this is extremely unlikely to be the case once a bulletin is made.

I'm not trying to shield or defend Tesla's actions. They've disappointed you and made you wait awhile. That sucks! That'd suck for me too if I was in the same situation, and I apologize if I've lectured at you.

You asked for my solution so here it is again; the best (and only solution for the moment) is just to keep waiting. I expect a proper response from service to be made available in less than a month, especially since Elon has confirmed a retrofit will be available, just without clarifying when.

<3

Your stance is to sit and wait, my stance isn’t. We’re going to agree to disagree. You feel for and want to defend the employees of the service centers, and I feel for and want to defend the customers who have been wronged for 1.5 years. I have nothing against the service center employees but if making their jobs more difficult with our requests is what’s finally going to push the issue to the top for it to be addressed by the senior staff, to then be disseminated to us peasants, well then I’m sorry but that’s the sacrifice I’m willing to make.

If it’s going to take a week to get their *sugar* together to put out a “bulletin” then they need to communicate that with the people, who forked over tons of money to them, and state “bulletin regarding this issue will be out next week”, until then, I see it as a sign of foul play, as the history shows.

I think we’ve beat the dead horse enough in here. If you want to continue beating it, text or DM me. I want to leave this thread for people who have discussions, contributions, and ideas of how we could get official communication, or the software we have been promised, and not suggestions to keep waiting more than the current 1.5 year wait. Once again, we all have seen what happened to the original adopters who’ve been waiting for FSD.

If you want to help, use your social media platform for us to be heard. If not, then it is what it is, you do you.

<3
Sometimes the system needs “squeaky wheels” in order for things to get done.

I am hoping we see some clarity on this issue By End Of January 2023.

Right now all I heard from SC is they do NOT have a timeline yet or not sure when this will be done.

All they know is it be offered in near future. When that future is No one at-least at SC is going to have an idea.

I would think we will have maybe better luck if we call HQ or Tesla Support to get our answers or at-least to let them know we need to know when this be done for clarity.

Like @Ramphex has said we been waiting for 1.5 years for this to work. Only to find out we are being left out without much answers.

To people who think we are asking too much by asking tesla for this retrofit for free.

Why cant they understand a simple thing. This was clearly Advertised to work from the get-go. Its not like we are asking for Free Matrix Headlights upgrade or Tail Lights or Charge port door which were after the fact.

This one feature was clearly advertised and showcased to work...

Thought there were couple other feature which was clearly even on the order page which they removed (Tilt Screen) .. Also another one was AQI (Air Quality Index) Reading on the infotainment screen..

Reactions: Ramphex and jebinc
I am hoping we see some clarity on this issue By End Of January 2023.

Right now all I heard from SC is they do NOT have a timeline yet or not sure when this will be done.

All they know is it be offered in near future. When that future is No one at-least at SC is going to have an idea.

I would think we will have maybe better luck if we call HQ or Tesla Support to get our answers or at-least to let them know we need to know when this be done for clarity.

Like @Ramphex has said we been waiting for 1.5 years for this to work. Only to find out we are being left out without much answers.

To people who think we are asking too much by asking tesla for this retrofit for free.

Why cant they understand a simple thing. This was clearly Advertised to work from the get-go. Its not like we are asking for Free Matrix Headlights upgrade or Tail Lights or Charge port door which were after the fact.

This one feature was clearly advertised and showcased to work...

Thought there were couple other feature which was clearly even on the order page which they removed (Tilt Screen) .. Also another one was AQI (Air Quality Index) Reading on the infotainment screen..
Tilting display, being another one we are owed as it was clearly part of the launch sales campaign.