Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Year Refresh: Owners' Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean come on… clearly Tesla knew in 2021, when they were advertising the power (e.g., 10 megaflops) of the GPU and showing Witcher 3 screenshots that they needed more memory in the car than they were delivering. Game/Steam memory requirements were not a state secret, after all…. These were released games…
Actually not quite that simple. Tesla runs on Linux like the Steam Deck, so there’s a Proton layer there. Steam Deck also has 16GB RAM, and Tesla runs Steam-Deck capable games.

Do you know if you can store games on a shared ssd with your dashcam clips?
Yep, and Tesla even has a 1TB drive that is supposed to be available in February:

Actually not quite that simple. Tesla runs on Linux like the Steam Deck, so there’s a Proton layer there. Steam Deck also has 16GB RAM, and Tesla runs Steam-Deck capable games.
No need to act as Tesla apologist, @WilliamG 🤣 We all know the Witcher 3 ads in 2020/2021 were, in fact, false advertising. Very much like FSD had been for years… up until recenty.

Mine is a 11/2021 build but classified as a 2022 model hopefully get steam. No holiday update yet.

If yours has 16gb then it’s even more confusing. No real consistency or rationale here.

I’ve got zero faith as I have a 6/21 build, super early - but can’t see any way to find out as I’m still on the FSD build. Any way to tell perhaps in service mode?

If yours has 16gb then it’s even more confusing. No real consistency or rationale here.

I’ve got zero faith as I have a 6/21 build, super early - but can’t see any way to find out as I’m still on the FSD build. Any way to tell perhaps in service mode?
Yeah. I‘m hearing Feb 2022 & Later builds but the release notes say 2022 model year with 16GB Ram. So this makes me believe all 2022 model years and later will get it? No idea about service mode.

Now If, I remember this correctly the car with 8gb Ram 2021 S/X Refresh also has 128gb on board storage VS 256gb storage which was with16g ram.

when the retrofit does happen will that be upgraded as well to 256G for onboard storage ?
Nobody knows.

There is zero information about any retrofit, and speculation would just be futile and add to the confusion.