Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 refresh Model S sightings, steering yoke vs. steering wheel discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried like hell to get a clear screenshot of the rear tire size, but no luck.
I like the piping on the seats and the new rear diffuser.
Definitely a 285 or 295.

Attachments

• 1617626494ghkjg746.png
    1617626494ghkjg746.png
    192.4 KB · Views: 71
Yes they appear to be center lock wheels. Unless they are just being covered up by a cap. 265 / 35 ZR 21 tires. With those wheels, it definitely looks like curb rash is going to be a higher probability.

View attachment 650994
I tried like hell to get a clear screenshot of the rear tire size, but no luck.
I like the piping on the seats and the new rear diffuser.
I’m hoping for something in the 305 range. I love the phat tire look, especially with the more aggressive rear diffuser.

Reactions: PDACPA
In Support of Tesla’s Yoke Steering ...
I ordered a 2021 Model S (SR), which includes Yoke Steering. At first, I was ambivalent about the new style steering. After watching relevant videos and pondering my reasoning for buying a Tesla, I’m now embracing the concept. Even Lexus (I’ve owned four) recently showcased their EV concept vehicle with yoke steering.
While I won’t know for sure until my Model S is delivered, here is why I’m looking forward to experiencing Tesla's yoke steering.
1. A key motivation in ordering a Tesla is the safety and convenience of Full Self-Driving (FSD). While still under development, FSD’s promise will likely render the steering wheel superfluous, except as a backup system or for the fun of manual driving.
2. By removing the upper portion of a standard steering wheel, yoke steering improves visibility of roads, surroundings, and vehicle instrumentation.

#1 is unrealistic. General release FSD has barely seen any improvement over the past year. Beta FSD requires more attention than actually driving the car manually.

#2 I think is not true as well for most people. I tried messing with my steering wheel today and I couldn't get it to block any view of the road nor could I get it low enough where the top was blocking the view of the instrument cluster.

I drive a lot with my hand on top of the steering wheel in traffic, parking lots, and also at slower speeds. The yoke will definitely have a learning curve since people will have to re-learn their driving habits.

Reactions: David29 and Wol747
My guess was 265/30/21 in the front (with a widened body) and 285/30/21 in the rears since that already works on PFL cars. I don't think there is enough room for a 305 unless they changed the suspension geometry and the fender liners. In the video you can see a slightly different fender liner in the rear though, so that may be the case

My guess was 265/30/21 in the front (with a widened body) and 285/30/21 in the rears since that already works on PFL cars. I don't think there is enough room for a 305 unless they changed the suspension geometry and the fender liners. In the video you can see a slightly different fender liner in the rear though, so that may be the case
After spending some time looking at the pic of the rear wheel and as someone already mentioned, it’s definitely either a 285 or 295-30-21. A 305 would be nice but that first number is definitely not a 3. The front size is a 265-35-21.
The 19” front is 255-45-19 and the rear tire speculation is 285-40-19

Too true. 305's would be great but the truth is I plan to go square with 265's A/S (more rolling resistant friendly) as soon as I can get them on. This is not a sports car to me but a sports sedan and a good A/S will be sufficient to achieve that goal.
I plan to go AS on my arachnids as well. Will a square 265 setup work on the likely wider rear rim? I couldn’t find any AS option in the 295/30 21 size, which is concerning.

I am shaped like a bratwurst and in every car (with adjustable steering wheels), there is always part of the IC that is blocked by a portion of the wheel. It has never been a big deal since my neck works and is able to move my head slightly. However, having nothing on top and a totally unobstructed view, will be welcome to me. Not speaking to any other aspects or merits of the yoke, but the view would be a plus to me.

Reactions: boonedocks