Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Tail Lamp and Charge Port Retrofit Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I really appreciate the idea of retaining the charging port. Kudos to @silversurfer1 for this brilliant idea. Changing the taillight housing was a bit time-consuming, but the ability to revert back to the original setup at any time makes it worth it. This is a very enjoyable DIY project.

View attachment 906029
You can’t really revert back due to the appliqué change though right?

And since the trunk light is plug and play, it’s only the external panel corner lights that you had to Frankenstein right?

Thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I really appreciate the idea of retaining the charging port. Kudos to @silversurfer1 for this brilliant idea. Changing the taillight housing was a bit time-consuming, but the ability to revert back to the original setup at any time makes it worth it. This is a very enjoyable DIY project.

View attachment 906029

Great job 👍🏽. Can you go into detail of the hardest part of this conversion.

You can’t really revert back due to the appliqué change though right?

And since the trunk light is plug and play, it’s only the external panel corner lights that you had to Frankenstein right?
Correct,I went ahead trim the old appliqué since I don’t want to buy the new appliqué.

correct, I only transfer the new outer taillight led unit into the original outer taillight housing

Last edited:
Are the 2013 tails identical in size/fitment as 2022 pre-refresh lights ? Can you share pics of the cutting and gluing areas.
Correct,I went ahead trim the old appliqué since I don’t want to buy the new appliqué.

correct, I only transfer the new outer taillight led unit into the original outer taillight housing
Did you also have to cut and glue to transfer the new outer tail light unit into the original outer tail light housing, and if so can you describe as best you can the what/where of the cutting and gluing? I am not a mechanic and have never done any sort of automotive project before so the more detail you can provide the better.

Reactions: Daytonaviolet
Yup. Looks like I’m doing it as well. Where’s the best place to get the inner trunk lights?
eBay or tesla

D3677C90-BC5A-4B79-8928-682FC57A13EF.jpeg

Need to remember that legacy MS taillights were designed and sourced ~15 years ago. Tesla didn't know how to design for manufacturing efficiency/cost, and were really just trying to get a product together no matter what the cost. This was before the 3 and everything they learned in building and manufacturing that car.

The new taillights are probably not that much cheaper than the old units in terms of raw material cost, but the manufacturing cost (and negotiating leverage with suppliers) is dramatically different now.

Reactions: Daytonaviolet
Need to remember that legacy MS taillights were designed and sourced ~15 years ago. Tesla didn't know how to design for manufacturing efficiency/cost, and were really just trying to get a product together no matter what the cost. This was before the 3 and everything they learned in building and manufacturing that car.

The new taillights are probably not that much cheaper than the old units in terms of raw material cost, but the manufacturing cost (and negotiating leverage with suppliers) is dramatically different now.

i ended up getting new non-refresh outer tails (2022) from eBay. my plan is to swap internals from used refresh outer tails. once complete i can sell my existing non-refresh ones from my car. i just didn't want any down time while doing the conversion.