Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Tail Lamp and Charge Port Retrofit Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parts List:
Left rear panel lamp assembly - 1563720-00-B
Left tailgate lamp assembly - 1613764-00-C
Right rear panel lamp assembly - 1563721-00-B
Right tailgate lamp assembly - 1613765-00-B
Right Riflex RHS, MS - 1608178-00-C
Charge port - 1530812-99-C
Charge outlet - 1567500-10-A
ECU - 1619321-01-C
Tailgate appliqué (could modify)- 1647807-00-A
Non Tesla Adapter bracket - no idea what is that
@Nintendo80 What's the difference between the two parts according to the catalog:
LIFTGATE TAIL LAMP ASSEMBLY - BACKUP - SAE - LEFT6005922-00-E
LAMP ASY, LIFTGATE LEFT HAND 1613764-00-C

I'm putting in an order soon.

My approach was different than @Hotboy408 . I opened the old 2013 taillights and transplanted the new taillight inner LED parts into the old Taillight body. With this, there was no drilling into fender needed and the attachment points remained the same. Yet the body of old and new tailligh shapes differ, so there was some cutting and glueing necessary.
Are the 2013 tails identical in size/fitment as 2022 pre-refresh lights ? Can you share pics of the cutting and gluing areas.

My taillight modification has been completed, the picture is for your reference, the outer taillight and the inner taillight are plugged directly into the original plug, no need to change the line or use an adapter, the test function is normal, the turn signal, brake light, and reverse light are only on the right side On, the rear fog light is only on the left side, so that's it, and I'm quite satisfied, thanks to @Hotboy408 and other netizens for their support and suggestions!
View attachment 902325
View attachment 902326
Just noticed.. why do you have a Plaid emblem 🤪

My approach was different than @Hotboy408 . I opened the old 2013 taillights and transplanted the new taillight inner LED parts into the old Taillight body. With this, there was no drilling into fender needed and the attachment points remained the same. Yet the body of old and new tailligh shapes differ, so there was some cutting and glueing necessary.
No baking required to open the lights ? This vid looks easy to open 👍🏽

Reactions: acarlos1000
My MS2021+ got rear ended and I am getting a new liftgate. Based on your tail light retrofit experience do you think I can have the shop order a new liftgate with the refreshed inner tail lights and get it to work without any compatibility modifications?
where is your charge port located ? song's charge port is located on the rear quarter panel and not on the tail light.

can you elaborate on the mismatch?
He's referring to the fact that the lights on the hatch plug perfectly and won't affect turn signals or hazards/function as intended.

The exterior quarter panel lights need to be spliced to function properly, so if one wants an easy retrofit they can just swap the inners and have a mismatched setup with old outers.

This information is all in this thread, just give it a good read.

Thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I really appreciate the idea of retaining the charging port. Kudos to @silversurfer1 for this brilliant idea. Changing the taillight housing was a bit time-consuming, but the ability to revert back to the original setup at any time makes it worth it. This is a very enjoyable DIY project.

C73B3293-0294-4CE3-8B79-E6D731A76B14.jpeg