Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Tail Lamp and Charge Port Retrofit Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I received my EVOffer Taillights this week. They look and work great.
View attachment 1006847 View attachment 1006846

I purchased the outer light set without the adapters. I already had the inners and a way to reconfigure the light settings (Not something to be discussed here.) Mine is a 2021 Model S Long Range. When I recieved the lights I discovered that they were not weatherproofed on the back side, which wasn't acceptable for me. So, I discussed this with EVOffer and they agreed to let me make the modification to weatherproof the interior and honor my warranty. I don't know if they will change what they are doing to inprove them, but I've included the instructions as an attachment.

Overall Fitment and look:
Much better look than the OE lights. Really happy I did the update. There is a gap however at the top which you can see in both pictures above. It's not a big deal, but is noticable if you're looking for it. The finish is good, but its definitely a hand made part. So, they won't be completely identical.

Installation Notes:
The install is the same as the pre-refresh light replacement procedure. You can find it at service.tesla.com. It isn't for the faint of heart as you will have to break the charge port and high voltage wiring apart. If you aren't comfortable with that you'll likely need an installation shop. Tesla will not install aftermarket parts. This would be true for any aftermarket light replacements.

LH Side Light: The design of the charge port/chargeport door is stupid. You have to remove the charge port to get the light out. Just follow the Tesla procedure. There isn't any other way to get it out. I wasted a lot of time here. Multi-meter and gloves area must. Once you test everything, its straightforward. The challenge is you can't drop the charge port down and out of the way without removing the HV terminals from the back.

RH Side Light: Nothing bad about this side. Very straightforward.

The refresh C-Pillar trim and side bolsters are absolutely trash. You can just loosen the C-Pillar Trim and work around it instead of trying to take it off. I have 2 peices of trim I have to replace and several clips. The side bolsters on the rear seat have a locking clip you need to use a long screw driver from the top down to get out. Once you know the trick its easy, but the install instructions on the Tesla site just say "Remove Bolster". Uh, yeah little more detail would be good.

The trunk trim is easy enough once you man handle the Applique part off. You'll think you are going to break it, but just keep pulling... it will come out of the 5 clips holding it on.

My modifications:
I wanted to keep the same side-profile look as the refresh models with the reflector. I bought some gloss black wrap samples and covered the reflectors and the side extension on the EVOffer lights back to the seam. Its a close match but it isn't perfect. I then measured the reflector at the SC on one of the cars and bought some DOT reflective tape on Amazon to cut to size. It's probably a little big, but it accomplished the goal for now.

Here are a few additional shots:
View attachment 1006862
View attachment 1006863View attachment 1006864
Is your 2021 long range the refresh or pre refresh? Also where did you get the gloss black trunck trim that replaced the one that goes into the tail lights ?

Reactions: Daytonaviolet
As we’ve determined here and can be checked by looking at the vehicle schematics, SOP14 cars rear brake lights (refresh cars made before Feb 14th 22) have the same wiring as the pre-refresh cars.

Not sure where they are getting their info.

***Edit***
Actually the taillight wiring and the headlight wiring is carry over from the previous version.
The lights won't work on SOP15 (Feb/March 22 Build Cars) or newer, but should work on the SOP14 cars (Feb '21-'22 Build Cars). So, they are probably thinking that you're asking about the Re-Refresh 22 cars and not the older ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: misc3r and WeaponX
The lights won't work on SOP15 (Feb/March 22 Build Cars) or newer, but should work on the SOP14 cars (Feb '21-'22 Build Cars). So, they are probably thinking that you're asking about the Re-Refresh 22 cars and not the older ones.
Ok thanks for the info will order them . Is it a complete set including the charge port ? Or is that a separate part? I just want to make sure i have it complete thanks

Ok thanks for the info will order them . Is it a complete set including the charge port ? Or is that a separate part? I just want to make sure i have it complete thanks
it wil be without the charge port, as it should be fitting with your original chargeport "door"

as shown in the photo here:

Model-S-Alpharex-Tail-Lights-Dark-3_444x@2x.progressive.jpg

The cutout is set to allow space for the original chargeport door

I have ordered mine (they are exactly the same as the photo above) and still waiting for the tracking number. Once it arrives, I will carefully take photos and log the progress. I read somehwere that they do provide the appliqué as well, and if it's ugly i'll just order the original one lol

Now a heads up: the "red" previously advertised will not look exactly like OEM version, as the sides are more transparent instead of blacked out like the actual refresh:

BLACKRED_4000x@2x.progressive.jpg

it wil be without the charge port, as it should be fitting with your original chargeport "door"

as shown in the photo here:

Model-S-Alpharex-Tail-Lights-Dark-3_444x@2x.progressive.jpg

The cutout is set to allow space for the original chargeport door

I have ordered mine (they are exactly the same as the photo above) and still waiting for the tracking number. Once it arrives, I will carefully take photos and log the progress. I read somehwere that they do provide the appliqué as well, and if it's ugly i'll just order the original one lol

Now a heads up: the "red" previously advertised will not look exactly like OEM version, as the sides are more transparent instead of blacked out like the actual refresh:

BLACKRED_4000x@2x.progressive.jpg
You could wrap the edges like the new ones. Another member here did that on the OEM lights and they look a lot better.

Reactions: misc3r
Hi, I have installed the ev-offer taillights on my 2014 Model S. Everything works fine, except the fog light on the drivers side. The leds shine white instead of red. And isn't the red fog light normally on the inner side (left)? (the red marked circle)

Attachments

• tesla_taillight1.png
    tesla_taillight1.png
    600.7 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: Daytonaviolet
I just messaged them about the animation and it looks like there’s no way to remove the animation. What a bummer. I was ok waiting but the start up animation looks so tacky. Darn.
What??! I thought it's the same as the Alpharex tail lights sold here:

The description on the evoffer page shows
"* Welcoming Effect and Sequential Turn Signal can be turned off". I really hope that's the case because otherwise that might be a deal breaker.

I think one of the reasons why alpha Rex is delayed is because of the brake and turn signals. In the USA, for pre-fresh the brake and turn signals are shorted together on pins 1 and 3. For refresh, they are separate.

They are still figuring out a way to seperate brake light and turn signal wirh an adaptor. Otherwise, an updated config file is another way. But you’ll need toolbox to update the config.