Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everybody for your magnificent efforts this morning.
TAMERLANE is currently docking in the berth in question. I'm not sure but did we see AN JI 22 depart earlier without tug assistance? If so, whatever was parked behind her could have done the same but the good news is that it won't have been a large carrier such as those used on the runs to Europe.
The two new ships, TAMERLANE and ARTEMIS LEADER, are of no interest to us - they should both depart to S Korea.
Hopefully I'll be back on the job this evening.

PS Sending this from an uncomfortably crowded train...

TAMERLANE is currently docking in the berth in question. I'm not sure but did we see AN JI 22 depart earlier without tug assistance? If so, whatever was parked behind her could have done the same but the good news is that it won't have been a large carrier such as those used on the runs to Europe.
The two new ships, TAMERLANE and ARTEMIS LEADER, are of no interest to us - they should both depart to S Korea.

AN JI 22 departed without tugs. Certainly none showing anyway

I'm not sure if this applies to the AN Ji vessel, but I know there are ships that have the ability to generate thrust sideways which, allows them to dock and depart without assistance.

Mr M, is that docking area the only one of interest to us?
There is one other we know of, but its only been used once or twice before - look for this vessel on Marine Traffic:

DA FENG GANG HE SHUN HAO​

GigaFactory 3 is not far from there to the North East (look for a large patch of graded land as the "sat" map is quite old now, or correlate with Google Maps)

BTW whilst we await the return of Mr M and his enhanced tracking capabilities, here's the last Wu Wa YT drone footage from the weekend:
Observations:
  • Busier than the weekend of the 16/17 Oct and much busier than the 9/10 which is to be expected as they ramp up from Q3 end and the national holiday
  • The holding lot at GF3 appears to hold about 2,000 cars, so only about 1+ days worth of production if the figures are to be believed (1,300-1,800 per day) - this means I think that Tesla are holding cars at the Northern Shanghai pier before getting on ships and I did a rough estimate that the areas there can hold about 10,000 vehicles (unlikely though that Tesla use all the lots)
  • The rows just before the transporters appear to have about a 30/70% Model Y to Model 3 respectively, which also tallies with other stories about production there, but will likely change, as the Model Y is expected to sell much more than the Model 3
  • Unlike the weekend of 16/17 I could not see any RHD cars, only LHD - also Tesla are using a white steering wheel cover/protector which makes spotting this easier (as well as the drivers getting in and out of course)
Its going to be very interesting to see how Tesla react to the Hertz order of 100,000 cars and whether that has a visible effect in the coming months.

BTW whilst we await the return of Mr M and his enhanced tracking capabilities, here's the last Wu Wa YT drone footage from the weekend:
Observations:
  • Busier than the weekend of the 16/17 Oct and much busier than the 9/10 which is to be expected as they ramp up from Q3 end and the national holiday
  • The holding lot at GF3 appears to hold about 2,000 cars, so only about 1+ days worth of production if the figures are to be believed (1,300-1,800 per day) - this means I think that Tesla are holding cars at the Northern Shanghai pier before getting on ships and I did a rough estimate that the areas there can hold about 10,000 vehicles (unlikely though that Tesla use all the lots)
  • The rows just before the transporters appear to have about a 30/70% Model Y to Model 3 respectively, which also tallies with other stories about production there, but will likely change, as the Model Y is expected to sell much more than the Model 3
  • Unlike the weekend of 16/17 I could not see any RHD cars, only LHD - also Tesla are using a white steering wheel cover/protector which makes spotting this easier (as well as the drivers getting in and out of course)
Its going to be very interesting to see how Tesla react to the Hertz order of 100,000 cars and whether that has a visible effect in the coming months.
This insight is fecking insane

Reactions: Washout
Observations:
Assume all the cars are white to begin with

Assume all the cars are white to begin with
Short answer not really - long answer:

The paint is applied normally as follows:
Adherance enhancer coat if aluminium
Corrosion protection coats
Primer (s) (normally grey or white)
- Sometimes one or more of the above maybe combined
Base coat(s) i.e. colour coats, which maybe layered if effects are desired (e.g. candy apple red)
Clear coat(s) these may, but don't normally have tints in them

There maybe other coats in between some of the above dependant on material being sprayed and manufacturer.

Interesting fact - paint adds a surprising amount of weight to a car and if you're serious about race prepping a road vehicle, you can have the bodywork dipped to remove it all. The "thin paint" complaints on Teslas may actually be a design feature to lose some weight...

Edit: I forgot to add to the video post above that some of the cars appear to have a paint protection film applied to their upper surfaces, which I think is new for GF3 and certainly what a lot of other manufacturers do. I guess scratch removal costs have become a factor at handover time...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.