Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As the GLOVIS COUNTESS departs San Francisco for Portland (I'm puzzled too!) it's worth just taking a look at the traffic jam of container ships waiting to dock in Oakland. Ships are waiting offshore for over a week before they can enter the SF Bay to anchor and wait some more. Every port in California is the same and the delays have been steadily getting worse over the last 2 months. This is the extraordinary effect of COVID-19 increasing demand for imported goods and the devastating consequences of COVID-19 on the Californian dockworkers. This has led to a container shortage, particularly in the Far East. Last year we saw the effect of substandard containers entering the supply chain with thousands being lost overboard as a result of these dodgy containers collapsing - I suspect 2021 will be even worse.

Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 11.50.48.png

European ports are about to become congested too as the waves of delayed Suez ships start to arrive at European ports. This will affect the RoRo fleet too but by the time the 'Tesla ships' begin to arrive here I'm hopeful that the situation will have eased.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2021_M3P
Having said that RoRo's aren't delayed to the same extent, as a result of running 24 hrs late RCC TIANJIN has missed her slot at Benicia. I'm not sure what will happen now. In the past we have seen a ship start loading at Pier 80 and then nip across to Benicia when a gap appears to unload. Whatever, I'm sure the phones are red hot at the moment.

me too Jez! I am standing by for any positive news from any M3P owners to be !

Same! I don't expect to hear anything from official channels until immediately before delivery - Mine's coming via a Tesla (ALD) business lease and (anecdotally) they are worse communicators than Tesla themselves - I've certainly heard nothing from them since signing the initial paperwork, not even an acknowledgment following that, and of course as it's leased there is zero info on my account page.

@Mr Miserable - I think I may be paying more attention to you over the next month or two than my other half. I'll do my best to ensure she doesn't get too jealous and attempt to track you down!

There have been some reports in the 'UK Model 3 Performance 2021 Waiting Room' of a 21st May delivery date for P models. So working backwards:
  • 21st May Delivery for P models
  • 14th May arrival at Southampton
    • Assuming 1 week from port to dealer to delivery (is that about right?).
  • 14th April Leaving Shanghai
    • Assuming 30 Day voyage from Shanghai to Southampton
Given that we have multiple reports of LR delivery text messages already having been received (and none for P orders), does the evidence we have suggest that the first ship to arrive at Southampton will be LR only and P's will follow on another ship departing next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.