Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to pier 80 yesterday and it looked like the Clovis ship was being loaded. It was not all teslas though that were being loaded on it - looked like there were some white vans and some other vehicles. There was a huge number of teslas located there - not just in the main staging lot, but also in a dirt overflow lot over to the side. I'm not sure if one can make an inference as to what this means, but seems production must be ahead of their ability to ship. Maybe its just the period of the quarterly cycle where some specific EU bound cars are made ahead of shipping schedules.
Thanks for your post - really informative.
It highlights I think that some of the puzzling movements we have seen at Pier 80 recently have not been associated with Tesla.
I'm wondering whether they are using Pier 80 as an overflow for Benicia. Do you think those non- Tesla vehicles you saw were being unloaded possibly?

My current Watchlist of ships that have departed Shanghai:

TAURUS LEADER
GLOVIS CORONA

They are on my watchlist because I cannot find their current itinerary. Both these ships are presently heading to Singapore, a frequent refuel stop for ships bound to Europe.

LAKE GENEVA is anchored off Shanghai at the moment and I'm hoping she may join the watchlist soon.
Thank you. You will tell us about them, and we will follow you.

Reactions: will_wonka
GLOVIS SUMMIT is departing Pier 80 to Toyohashi, Japan the same place GLOVIS COUNTESS eventually went off to. Toyohashi is not a logical port for the importation of Tesla's to Japan and hasn't been used as one previously.
Therefore I don't believe the ship's visit to Pier 80 was on Tesla business.

Last edited:
Went back to Port 80 today and watched Clovis Summit Depart. As it was tugged away and turned around, it passed by Clovis Lake Fuxian pulled in and was docked within 45 mins of Summit departing. It was actually unreal how tight the scheduling was. I'm not sure if they started loading immediately, but I wouldn't doubt it.

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG
IMG_0918.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0918.JPG
    IMG_0918.JPG
    260 KB · Views: 54
Thanks for your post - really informative.
It highlights I think that some of the puzzling movements we have seen at Pier 80 recently have not been associated with Tesla.
I'm wondering whether they are using Pier 80 as an overflow for Benicia. Do you think those non- Tesla vehicles you saw were being unloaded possibly?
I'm not sure - from what I saw they were boarding on the side loading deck vs. the rear mass loading area. They all seemed to be white, new and not labelled. I could not tell the make, and wasn't sure if they got unloaded - I didn't see that. Beyond that, saw a couple of tesla car carriers in the area bring in fresh shipments. It seems that it doesn't end there, I bet deliveries are coming 24/7. The dirt overflow lot has people living on site I guess to watch over the inventory.

GLOVIS COSMOS will arrive off the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal this evening and I expect her to conduct her canal transit early tomorrow morning. I will post some details about the canal and what webcams to use to follow the ship through the canal later today.
I expect her to arrive in Zeebrugge around 9 May.

Today is the day to enter the free GLOVIS COSMOS competition since it will close when the ship enters the Panama Canal.
CLICK HERE TO ENTER

Cosmos Pacif.png

LAKE FUXIAN is now alongside Pier 80. She will be heading to Zeebrugge and at the moment I have her pencilled in to arrive there around 20 May.

GRAND SAPPHIRE I’m a little puzzled with this ship at the moment and I’m wondering whether she will actually call at Pier 80 at all. She is due to depart Benicia tomorrow evening and it will be interesting to see where she goes. If she hangs around offshore then she may well be coming to Pier 80 after all, but I’m not so sure…. I get the feeling that she is not a Tesla ship.

GLOVIS CHORUS the next ship to arrive is occupying, what must be, one of the world’s most pleasant anchorages off Vancouver Island in Canada. She is not due to arrive at Pier 80 until next Saturday.

GLORIOUS LEADER This ship is carrying Model 3’s to the UK from China.
She is presently in the Suez Canal but has already helpfully updated her AIS to confirm that her destination is Southampton with an ETA of 5 May.
The weather in the Med is fine overall although she may find it a little choppy for the first 24 hrs with the strong NW'ly wind.

GL LDR Med.png

RCC AFRICA is carrying LHD Model 3's to Israel and EU from Shanghai .
I have still not received a satellite position report from her since Thursday and so the position shown for her is my estimate.
She is due at Ashdod on 2 May. I expect her to arrive in Zeebrugge around 13 May at the earliest.

RCC AFRICA to Suez.png

GLOVIS CORONA is currently heading for Singapore and is on my watch list.

LAKE GENEVA is off the watch list
TAURUS LEADER is off the watch list
GLOVIS SUN has caught my eye at the moment. She is currently anchored off Shanghai and she was originally scheduled to be in Europe next month. Her schedule has obviously changed but she still may head to Europe. We shall see....

Reactions: muraliaix and cpt_
I'm not sure - from what I saw they were boarding on the side loading deck vs. the rear mass loading area. They all seemed to be white, new and not labelled. I could not tell the make, and wasn't sure if they got unloaded - I didn't see that. Beyond that, saw a couple of tesla car carriers in the area bring in fresh shipments. It seems that it doesn't end there, I bet deliveries are coming 24/7. The dirt overflow lot has people living on site I guess to watch over the inventory.
Great photos!
Thanks for your observations - really help.
If you are passing nearby again (hint, hint!) you will hopefully see the cars being loaded via the rear ramp. The only vehicles coming the other way should be minibuses returning the drivers. I suspect Pier 80 is being used vice Long Beach.
I haven't seen any RoRo's using Long Beach recently and I wonder whether because of the congestion down there they are diverting RoRo's to Benicia and Pier 80. I've noted a tug that was a stalwart of SF Bay operations has moved down to Long Beach to assist.

GLOVIS COSMOS will arrive off the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal this evening and I expect her to conduct her canal transit early tomorrow morning. I will post some details about the canal and what webcams to use to follow the ship through the canal later today.
I expect her to arrive in Zeebrugge around 9 May.

Today is the day to enter the free GLOVIS COSMOS competition since it will close when the ship enters the Panama Canal.
CLICK HERE TO ENTER

View attachment 657056

LAKE FUXIAN is now alongside Pier 80. She will be heading to Zeebrugge and at the moment I have her pencilled in to arrive there around 20 May.

GRAND SAPPHIRE I’m a little puzzled with this ship at the moment and I’m wondering whether she will actually call at Pier 80 at all. She is due to depart Benicia tomorrow evening and it will be interesting to see where she goes. If she hangs around offshore then she may well be coming to Pier 80 after all, but I’m not so sure…. I get the feeling that she is not a Tesla ship.

GLOVIS CHORUS the next ship to arrive is occupying, what must be, one of the world’s most pleasant anchorages off Vancouver Island in Canada. She is not due to arrive at Pier 80 until next Saturday.

GLORIOUS LEADER This ship is carrying Model 3’s to the UK from China.
She is presently in the Suez Canal but has already helpfully updated her AIS to confirm that her destination is Southampton with an ETA of 5 May.
The weather in the Med is fine overall although she may find it a little choppy for the first 24 hrs with the strong NW'ly wind.

View attachment 657057

RCC AFRICA is carrying LHD Model 3's to Israel and EU from Shanghai .
I have still not received a satellite position report from her since Thursday and so the position shown for her is my estimate.
She is due at Ashdod on 2 May. I expect her to arrive in Zeebrugge around 13 May at the earliest.

View attachment 657058

GLOVIS CORONA is currently heading for Singapore and is on my watch list.

LAKE GENEVA is off the watch list
TAURUS LEADER is off the watch list
GLOVIS SUN has caught my eye at the moment. She is currently anchored off Shanghai and she was originally scheduled to be in Europe next month. Her schedule has obviously changed but she still may head to Europe. We shall see....
Tesla staff in France has confirmed that Glovis Sun will be bringing Tesla Model SR+ to Europe.

Reactions: muraliaix

French TAs have confirmed to some customers in writing that their sR+ are boarding the Glovis Sun. So this one is definitely a Tesla boat

Reactions: Mr Miserable
GLOVIS COSMOS will arrive at the entrance to the Panama Canal later this evening. I expect her to anchor this evening just off the entrance to the canal and then commence her transit in the early hours of tomorrow morning.
She will have paid a fee to jump the queue and so I am pretty confident she won't be waiting long.
The first indication of something happening will be the arrival alongside her of a canal pilot. He will board the ship and she will then head up towards the first set of locks, the Miraflores locks. This is the first of a set of two locks which will lift the ship a total of 54ft. After Miraflores the ship will motor the short distance to the second set of locks, the Pedro Miguel Locks which will lift the ship the final 31ft. The ship will now be level with Gatun lake and she can make her way to the final set of locks, the Gatun locks which will then lower the ship 85ft to the Caribbean in 3 stages.

The Panama Canal provides a shortcut for shipping travelling from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean and vice-versa. Instead of having to route to the south of South America and then back up, a distance of about 10,000 nm the canal offers a mere 51 mile transit. This comes at a big (well into 6 figures USD) price, calculated by a complicated formula, designed to maximise revenue to the canal operators. The original canal opened in 1914 and was an immediate success. In the first year it handled about 1000 ships and by 2008 it was handling nearly 15,000. These figures alone don’t tell the whole story because ships were getting bigger and bigger and one of the limits to the size of ships being built was the size of the locks in the Panama Canal. Ships that were built to fit (just) into the locks were described as Panamax ships. That is why so many cruise ships, container ships and car carriers are 32.3m wide and have a draft of under 12.6m.

The expansion of global trade and the increase in shipping meant that the canal was becoming a bottleneck with frequent delays and queues of ships waiting to transit. Fees for queue jumping became ever more expensive and ever more necessary to avoid delays. Alternatives to the canal were seriously being considered eg the NW passage and a number of alternative canal routes that avoided Panama completely. Panama relies on the income from the canal and could not afford for any of the alternatives plans to be viable and so the plan for the expansion to the existing canal system was commenced in 2007 and completed in 2016. This introduced two new sets of locks built parallel to the existing locks. Significantly, they now allow ships up to 366m long, 49m wide and with a draft of up to 15m to transit the canal. The new locks are of a modern design which use less water and are regarded as safer and more reliable too.

So a Panamax ship like GLOVIS COSMOS will use the old locks - Miraflores, Pedro Miguel and Gatun locks to transit whereas bigger ships like GLOVIS SUN have to use the new locks at Cocoli and Agua Clara.

The canal is big business and so is generally a pretty slick operation entirely dependent on how much you have paid. The Tesla ships are normally booked in several weeks in advance and are given a pretty high priority. Delays of more than 24 hours are rare and normally we can expect the ships to start their northbound transit in the small hours of the morning and be in the Caribbean around 8 hours later.

There are webcams at the locks so you can watch the ships going through. The link to the webcams are here (I'm having a problem with the Miraflores camera but the others seem OK) There are plenty of youtube videos and documentaries on the canal, its operation and construction, many of which are very good.

For GLOVIS COSMOS, I would expect her to be at Miraflores around 6-7 am UK time tomorrow. By the time she reaches Gatun locks it will be daylight. I expect her to be in the Caribbean shortly after 3pm UK time.
cfabbfa9-7989-4d9f-82b9-fdbe12efee8a-png.582713

Thanks to @Mister J for providing the above graphic.

GLOVIS COSMOS will arrive at the entrance to the Panama Canal later this evening. I expect her to anchor this evening just off the entrance to the canal and then commence her transit in the early hours of tomorrow morning.
She will have paid a fee to jump the queue and so I am pretty confident she won't be waiting long.
The first indication of something happening will be the arrival alongside her of a canal pilot. He will board the ship and she will then head up towards the first set of locks, the Miraflores locks. This is the first of a set of two locks which will lift the ship a total of 54ft. After Miraflores the ship will motor the short distance to the second set of locks, the Pedro Miguel Locks which will lift the ship the final 31ft. The ship will now be level with Gatun lake and she can make her way to the final set of locks, the Gatun locks which will then lower the ship 85ft to the Caribbean in 3 stages.

The Panama Canal provides a shortcut for shipping travelling from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean and vice-versa. Instead of having to route to the south of South America and then back up, a distance of about 10,000 nm the canal offers a mere 51 mile transit. This comes at a big (well into 6 figures USD) price, calculated by a complicated formula, designed to maximise revenue to the canal operators. The original canal opened in 1914 and was an immediate success. In the first year it handled about 1000 ships and by 2008 it was handling nearly 15,000. These figures alone don’t tell the whole story because ships were getting bigger and bigger and one of the limits to the size of ships being built was the size of the locks in the Panama Canal. Ships that were built to fit (just) into the locks were described as Panamax ships. That is why so many cruise ships, container ships and car carriers are 32.3m wide and have a draft of under 12.6m.

The expansion of global trade and the increase in shipping meant that the canal was becoming a bottleneck with frequent delays and queues of ships waiting to transit. Fees for queue jumping became ever more expensive and ever more necessary to avoid delays. Alternatives to the canal were seriously being considered eg the NW passage and a number of alternative canal routes that avoided Panama completely. Panama relies on the income from the canal and could not afford for any of the alternatives plans to be viable and so the plan for the expansion to the existing canal system was commenced in 2007 and completed in 2016. This introduced two new sets of locks built parallel to the existing locks. Significantly, they now allow ships up to 366m long, 49m wide and with a draft of up to 15m to transit the canal. The new locks are of a modern design which use less water and are regarded as safer and more reliable too.

So a Panamax ship like GLOVIS COSMOS will use the old locks - Miraflores, Pedro Miguel and Gatun locks to transit whereas bigger ships like GLOVIS SUN have to use the new locks at Cocoli and Agua Clara.

The canal is big business and so is generally a pretty slick operation entirely dependent on how much you have paid. The Tesla ships are normally booked in several weeks in advance and are given a pretty high priority. Delays of more than 24 hours are rare and normally we can expect the ships to start their northbound transit in the small hours of the morning and be in the Caribbean around 8 hours later.

Hay cámaras web en las esclusas para que pueda ver pasar los barcos. El enlace a las cámaras web está aquí (tengo un problema con la cámara de Miraflores pero las otras parecen estar bien) Hay muchos videos y documentales de youtube sobre el canal, su funcionamiento y construcción, muchos de los cuales son muy buenos.

Para GLOVIS COSMOS, esperaría que ella estuviera en Miraflores alrededor de las 6 a 7 am, hora del Reino Unido, mañana. Para cuando llegue a las esclusas de Gatún será de día. Espero que esté en el Caribe poco después de las 3 pm, hora del Reino Unido.
cfabbfa9-7989-4d9f-82b9-fdbe12efee8a-png.582713

Gracias a [USER = 140004] @Mister J [/ USER] por proporcionar el gráfico anterior.
Great article !

Reactions: wiszniax
Status
Not open for further replies.