Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Over in Shanghai I believe we should shortly see some RHD vehicles shipped.
Our friend down under @Vedaprime, has long tipped MORNING CLARA as being the next shipment to OZ, and she is scheduled to depart on 13 May.
As everyone is aware the UK is expecting a boatload of M3Ps and all the indications are that this will be the HYPERION RAY.
Both these ships are presently sitting at anchor off Shanghai.
HYPERION RAY has had an interesting year so far and is worth a Google if you're interested.
Israel is expecting another shipment this quarter too.

Is there time to get another shipment from Shanghai to Zeebrugge? If so, I am keeping an eye on DONG A GLAUCOS. Strange name, I agree, which when she did the Pier 80 to Zeebrugge run back in 2019 simply became the Mighty Dong or King Dong (She, or should it be a he?, is a big ship!) on this thread.

I can also confirm GLOVIS COUNTESS will be coming to Europe from Pier 80.

Our friend down under @Vedaprime, has long tipped MORNING CLARA as being the next shipment to OZ, and she is scheduled to depart on 13 May.
As everyone is aware the UK is expecting a boatload of M3Ps and all the indications are that this will be the HYPERION RAY.
Do they store cars dockside in Shanghai like in Fremont pre-loading do we know? I ask because RHD cars were leaving the factory on the 7th which would be odd timing for either of these if they didn't go into storage at the docks..

Over in Shanghai I believe we should shortly see some RHD vehicles shipped.
HYPERION RAY has had an interesting year so far and is worth a Google if you're interested.
Israel is expecting another shipment this quarter too.

Is there time to get another shipment from Shanghai to Zeebrugge? If so, I am keeping an eye on DONG A GLAUCOS. Strange name, I agree, which when she did the Pier 80 to Zeebrugge run back in 2019 simply became the Mighty Dong or King Dong (She, or should it be a he?, is a big ship!) on this thread.

I can also confirm GLOVIS COUNTESS will be coming to Europe from Pier 80.
can you tell which ship name is going to israel this quarter? and maybe she have m3p and lr?

I'm looking forward to your updates on her voyage over the next few weeks.
Let's hope she gives the Gulf of Oman a wide berth!

Reactions: YorkshireM3
can you tell which ship name is going to israel this quarter? and maybe she have m3p and lr?
No, not yet
I just got an update on the delivery estimate from "June" to "May 28 - June 11". Is there any chance my car is already on the way and how would I be able to track it?

The order is for Denmark
Probably GLOVIS SUN.
You can follow her on marinetraffic.com (there are other tracking sites) when she is in range of a terrestrial receiver otherwise you can pay to have satellite updates.
Of course the cheapest way to track her is to read my free daily updates on her progress on this thread..

Do they store cars dockside in Shanghai like in Fremont pre-loading do we know? I ask because RHD cars were leaving the factory on the 7th which would be odd timing for either of these if they didn't go into storage at the docks..
The car transporters only move 7-8 cars at a time so clearly they need a concentration area at the docks. The number and availability of car transporters is the bottleneck at both ends of the delivery logistics. It was a shrewd move by Tesla to set up a collection centre at Southampton Docks - saves the expense of car transporters and expedites delivery to the customer (cash is in the bank earlier).

@Mr Miserable do you dismiss Toronto as being the UK M3P shipment? Departed last 24 hours at the same time as VINs started to be issued for some and inventory appeared on Tesla site. Meanwhile Hyperion Ray is still at anchor ... ?
TORONTO is still on my watch list.
I have already stated that I can't find her current itinerary, which is unusual for this ship, which may suggest she is chartered.
I haven't discounted her at all.

If you examine this thread and the Orders and Deliveries thread you will see that there have been multiple reports of a ship arriving in Southampton around 15 - 18 June. Those timings would strongly suggest that this ship has yet to leave Shanghai. Additionally another ship which has been independently identified as likely to be carrying RHD vehicles to Australia is also anchored off Shanghai. I have evidence of HYPERION RAY being booked into a major European port towards the end of June which together with other indications lead me to stongly believe she is very likely to be the ship we are expecting. I'm pretty confident on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jez_GB
I just got an update on the delivery estimate from "June" to "May 28 - June 11". Is there any chance my car is already on the way and how would I be able to track it?

The order is for Denmark
Hi, I am living in Sweden and we ordered our Tesla model 3 LR 2021-05-05 with estimated delivery 2021-06-08. I called the sales person that took care of our order (placed online) and she could see that our car is onboard the GLOVIS CHORUS. So my advice is to call Tesla Denmark and ask them. Good Luck!

Hi, I am living in Sweden and we ordered our Tesla model 3 LR 2021-05-05 with estimated delivery 2021-06-08. I called the sales person that took care of our order (placed online) and she could see that our car is onboard the GLOVIS CHORUS. So my advice is to call Tesla Denmark and ask them. Good Luck!
Same for The Netherlands, they would not even tell me if it's even underway or not :/.

Reactions: Yeahyeahyeah
Same for The Netherlands, they would not even tell me if it's even underway or not :/.
I don’t think they are very keen on just handing out info, but if you ask for confirmation on certain things I’m sure you would get an answer. For example just ask them if you car is on ship named SHIP NAME and they might tell you yes or no. I was able to get all the info I wanted this way.

Keep in mind they really might not know until you are matched with a car and get a VIN.

LAKE FUXIAN is in the Caribbean but will pass through the Mona Passage into the Atlantic later today..
The Mona Passage is the gap between the Dominican Republic to the west and Puerto Rico to the east.
On the Atlantic side lies the Puerto Rico Trench which is about 8000m deep whereas in the passage it's only about 100m deep.
On the Caribbean side it's about 1000m deep. Additionally, there is a significant current that runs from south to north.
This 'shallowness' in the passage can be responsible for some pretty treacherous seas with some horrendously big waves.
It's not something that is too much of a concern for big ships but for smaller vessels the 'dreaded' Mona Passage has a fearsome reputation and navigating it is something that needs careful advanced planning and respect.
It is also the site of a significant British victory in 1782 when British and French warships engaged there.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 22 May

Fuxian Caribbean.png

GLOVIS CHORUS is currently about 150NM off the coast of Guatemala and is maintaining nearly 18 kts.
She is due to arrive at the Panama Canal on Friday.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge will be around 27 May

The GLOVIS CHORUS competition is open . ENTER HERE

CHORUS PAC.png

GLOVIS CENTURY remains alongside Pier 80.
I’m expecting her to depart on Friday however I’m hoping to receive a report from San Francisco later this afternoon on her status.

RCC AFRICA is carrying LHD Model 3's to EU from Shanghai .
She has passed through the Straits of Dover and is currently approaching Zeebrugge and will dock there later tonight.

GLOVIS SUN is bound for the Suez Canal with an ETA there of 18 May.
I haven’t been closely monitoring her over the last 24 hrs but it’s pretty clear that she either stopped or slowed appreciably sometime in the last 24 hours. She is presently making over 17 kts to make up for the lost time.
My ETA for her in Zeebrugge is 28 May and possibly Southampton around 31 May

The Zeebrugge Port Schedule is showing her arriving there on 4 Jun.

GL SUN to Suez.png

LAKE GENEVA is enroute to Suez with an ETA of 27 May.
She continues to make on average just over 17 kts.
The question is whether she will stop for fuel at Singapore? She has enough of a buffer in her ETA for Suez to do so, so we will find out tomorrow.
I estimate that she will arrive at Zeebrugge around 6 Jun.

Geneva S China.png

HYPERION RAY is the ship that I believe will be coming to Southampton.
She has arrived alongside Shanghai to load.

OCEANUS LEADER is no longer of interest.

GLOVIS SUN I should perhaps have made clearer that there is nothing abnormal or wrong for a ship to stop or slow down mid ocean. Crews are constantly under training and emergency drills are regularly practiced. This could include a man overboard drill or a fire drill which could take several hours to complete. Fire is a very real risk on car carriers and so fire drills are regularly practiced.

Looking back over my records I can find 5 major fires since January 2019.

January 2019 SINCERITY ACE caught fire whilst crossing the Pacific with 3500 Nissans on board. 5 Crewman died

March 2019 GRANDE AMERICA caught fire and sank in the Bay of Biscay

May 2019 GRANDE EUROPA caught fire whilst off the Spanish coast in the Mediterranean. It had no less than 2 separate fires in brand new vehicles within the space of 4 hours.

June 2019 DIAMOND HIGHWAY was abandoned in the South China Sea because of a fire onboard.

June 2020 HOEGH XIAMEN caught fire whilst loading at Jacksonville Florida. Despite the fire service being on scene very quickly and using drones with IR cameras to detect hot spots, the ship continued to burn for 8 days. This fire was very concerning since if a fire cannot be extinguished when alongside with the benefit of a fully equipped fire service using fire boats and all the latest technology, what chance would it have at sea?

hoegh_xiamen_fire_update.jpeg

The causation of most of these fires is put down to car batteries, that’s normal ICE 12V car batteries on brand new cars. No, I don’t suppose you read about these horrific incidents in the Daily Mail since they didn’t involve a Tesla.

GLOVIS SUN I should perhaps have made clearer that there is nothing abnormal or wrong for a ship to stop or slow down mid ocean. Crews are constantly under training and emergency drills are regularly practiced. This could include a man overboard drill or a fire drill which could take several hours to complete. Fire is a very real risk on car carriers and so fire drills are regularly practiced.

Looking back over my records I can find 5 major fires since January 2019.

January 2019 SINCERITY ACE caught fire whilst crossing the Pacific with 3500 Nissans on board. 5 Crewman died

March 2019 GRANDE AMERICA caught fire and sank in the Bay of Biscay

May 2019 GRANDE EUROPA caught fire whilst off the Spanish coast in the Mediterranean. It had no less than 2 separate fires in brand new vehicles within the space of 4 hours.

June 2019 DIAMOND HIGHWAY was abandoned in the South China Sea because of a fire onboard.

June 2020 HOEGH XIAMEN caught fire whilst loading at Jacksonville Florida. Despite the fire service being on scene very quickly and using drones with IR cameras to detect hot spots, the ship continued to burn for 8 days. This fire was very concerning since if a fire cannot be extinguished when alongside with the benefit of a fully equipped fire service using fire boats and all the latest technology, what chance would it have at sea?

View attachment 661583

The causation of most of these fires is put down to car batteries, that’s normal ICE 12V car batteries on brand new cars. No, I don’t suppose you read about these horrific incidents in the Daily Mail since they didn’t involve a Tesla.
Thanks for this Mr Miserable, as we all await confirmation of our M3P, some from 2020 your showing us pictures of boats on fire hahahaha yes certainly living up to the name! 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.