Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GLOVIS CENTURY has dropped anchor off Singapore in one of the most crowded anchorages anywhere in the world. It is also very noisy being under the approach to Changi airport and mariners used to the comparitive quietness of being at sea have trouble sleeping here. She may take the opportunity to refuel here since fuel is pretty cheap here - if you are watching on a tracking site you may see a refuelling barge move alongside the ship for about 8 hours or so. I have no idea how long it will be before she resumes her voyage to the UK.

• Informative
Reactions: ABCTG and subsy
GLOVIS CENTURY has dropped anchor off Singapore in one of the most crowded anchorages anywhere in the world. It is also very noisy being under the approach to Changi airport and mariners used to the comparitive quietness of being at sea have trouble sleeping here. She may take the opportunity to refuel here since fuel is pretty cheap here - if you are watching on a tracking site you may see a refuelling barge move alongside the ship for about 8 hours or so. I have no idea how long it will be before she resumes her voyage to the UK.

Forgive my ignorance, but apart from refueling, what does the purpose of dropping anchor off Singapore harbour achieve for the vessel?

lull in the winds have an impact? Hmm these are not sail boats right? :)
These are big slab sided monsters and wind has a huge effect. A standard car carrier (200m long and freeboard of around 30 metres) has a windage area of 6000 square metres, that's more than the largest sailboat. There are limits to how much wind force the bow thrusters can overcome and there are limits to the rudder authority in strong winds too. Even when docked, sometimes when it is very windy the Captain will have tugs standing-by in case a line snaps. It can happen, and when it does there is a very real risk of the others going too.
By waiting for the lull in the winds this morning the Captain saved money because he didn't have the expense of having tugs standing-by or assisting during departure.

GLOVIS CAPTAIN is currently in the Caribbean and on course to enter the Atlantic via the Mona passage .
The choppy seas seas she experienced yesterday seem to have abated enough to allow her to increase speed to over 16kts.
She’s about 100nm behind where she should be but she has plenty of time to try and make that up if, of course the weather allows it.
At this time tomorrow we will know how the ship intends to cross the Atlantic, a standard great circle course or whether an alternative has been chosen.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 6 Feb but there is real potential here for a delay.

GLovis  Captain Caribbean .png

HORIZON LEADER is making great progress down the coast and is presently 150nm W of San Diego. Overnight she has also had to content with winds of over 30kts and 3.5m waves but fortunately these have been tailwinds and when combined with the prevailing strong north-south current here, have been assisting her by providing a little shove.
My estimate for her arrival in Zeebrugge is 15 Feb.

The HORIZON LEADER competition is now open! ENTER HERE.
It’s been good to see that entries so far have clearly been taking into account the factors mentioned in posts on GLOVIS CAPTAIN’s crossing.

Horizon Lead Pacific.png

COSCO SHENGSHI appears to be in no rush to get to Pier 80 since she is dawdling up the Pacific coast at under 14kts. Her ETA is 2300 tonight. This is a surprise since just last night I was speaking to someone in San Francisco that was making arrangements for the ship based on an arrival time of around 3 this afternoon! COSCO are big global operators and so I'm a little puzzled with the apparent tardiness of this ship. I suspect she will be heading to the Far East.

GLOVIS CENTURY I’m pretty confident that this ship is loaded with the first MIC RHD Model 3s for UK and Ireland.
Clearly the stop in Singapore was purely for bunkering (refuelling) as she is now on her way to Suez with an ETA there of 8 Feb.
This is good news and so I am bringing forward my estimate for her arrival in Southampton to 18 Feb.
At present she is already in the Malacca Straits and has the pedal to the metal doing around 18 kts.
If I get time I will post a little more on the Malacca Straits later today.

Century to Suez.png

Last edited:
Hi,

Any news om Toronto? Waiting for a RHD Tesla Model 3 SR+ coming inn from Shanghai (to Norway).

Thanks for all the good info and work!
Can I assume that will be a LHD SR+?
Anyway, TORONTO is due alongside Shanghai later today and is presently making her way up the estuary. She should depart depart for Suez tomorrow. The only thing that gives me some doubt as to whether this really is a Tesla ship is the fact that she is currently scheduled to call at Piraeus before Zeebrugge. I would like to see some pictures of Teslas being loaded on this ship before getting our hopes up.
Whereas, MORNING CAPO which leaves Shanghai on 3 Feb looks very much like a Tesla ship to me. She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 6 Mar.

Another ship which has caught my interest is MORNING CELLO. She left Shanghai on Monday and is presently enroute to Singapore. She is definitely heading for Europe and the indications are that it will be a fast transit. We won't know where she is heading to until she departs Suez in a couple of weeks time.

Another ship which has caught my interest is MORNING CELLO. She left Shanghai on Monday and is presently enroute to Singapore. She is definitely heading for Europe and the indications are that it will be a fast transit. We won't know where she is heading to until she departs Suez in a couple of weeks time.
A number of us received matched text messages yesterday with expected delivery early March. Could this be a second ship heading for Southampton? Does the UK require that many ships so close together?

Can I assume that will be a LHD SR+?
Anyway, TORONTO is due alongside Shanghai later today and is presently making her way up the estuary. She should depart depart for Suez tomorrow. The only thing that gives me some doubt as to whether this really is a Tesla ship is the fact that she is currently scheduled to call at Piraeus before Zeebrugge. I would like to see some pictures of Teslas being loaded on this ship before getting our hopes up.
Whereas, MORNING CAPO which leaves Shanghai on 3 Feb looks very much like a Tesla ship to me. She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 6 Mar.

You are correct. I ment LHD. Sorry for the confusion. Thank you very much for awesome infomation sir.

Are there other candidates from SFO to Zeebrugge for delivery in this quarter? I believe Glovis Companion is one but there are bound to be a couple of other boatloads to Europe?
Oh yes there will be more.
Last year the last ship in Q1 departed Pier 80 on 22 Feb (our old friend GLOVIS CAPTAIN)
I would expect at least 2, maybe 3, more after GLOVIS COMPANION.

Status
Not open for further replies.