Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GLOVIS CHORUS continues to make good progress but has now slowed to 16 kts so as to arrive off Zeebrugge on Thursday afternoon.

Glov Chorus Atlantic.png

GLOVIS CENTURY experienced no delays during her transit of the Panama Canal yesterday.
She is now in the Caribbean and heading for the Windward Passage making just over 15kts.
The weather will have improved however the sea will be a little choppy.
I was hoping for a fast Atlantic crossing yesterday but she has now slowed to a normal economical cruising speed after an unexplained stop early this morning. She has still not updated her AIS with an ETA for Zeebrugge.
I estimate that her arrival in Zeebrugge will be around 5 Jun

Century Caribbean.png

GLOVIS COUNTESS is the final ship of Q2 to depart Pier 80 for Europe.
She continues to keep the speed up and is currently maintaining over 17 Kts down the Baja California peninsula.
It’s estimate her arrival in Zeebrugge will be around 14 Jun.

The final competition of Q2 is now open. ENTER HERE

Countess Pacific.png

GLOVIS SUN safely negotiated the Straits of Gibraltar yesterday evening and is now progressing up the Portuguese coast.
She is fighting quite a large Atlantic swell at the moment which has reduced her speed to 12 kts.
Her ETA in Zeebrugge is Friday 28 May and I’m expecting her to arrive in Southampton around 31 May but I will not be able to confirm that until tomorrow.

SUN Med progress.png

LAKE GENEVA is heading for Suez from Shanghai and should arrive there later tonight.
She is now in the Gulf of Suez and will probably transit the Suez Canal tomorrow morning.
I estimate she will arrive in Zeebrugge around 4 Jun

Geneva to Suez.png

HYPERION RAY is the ship that I believe will be coming to Southampton, and possibly Zeebrugge as well.
I haven’t received a satellite report from her today - it’s not unheard of.
She is in an area where she is likely to encounter frequent thunderstorms and heavy rain. It’ll also be a little choppy until she reaches the Gulf of Aden tomorrow.
I expect her to arrive in Southampton around 8 Jun.

Hyp Ray to Suez.png

Satellite data supplied courtesy of marinetraffic

It's sank hasn't it 😫
I strongly suspect that HYPERION RAY has deliberately switched off her AIS transmitter to prevent hostile agencies from organising a further attack on her. (For anybody who is unaware, this ship, and her sister ship HELIOS RAY, were attacked earlier this year by Iranian militia, because both ships are Israeli owned)
I wouldn't expect the system to be switched back on until she is approaching Suez since Iranian militia are known to operate in the Red Sea.

• Informative
Reactions: Dunstan and rgfsr
@Mr Miserable I wonder if it might be wise to go "silent running" for ships in the Suez zone - just in case your bulletins are also being monitored by unfriendly forces?
If Hyperion Ray really is "silent running" then your bulletins might "give the game away"? :(
I've already got my Model 3!

I have reordered the ships so that they are in chronological order of arrival.

GLOVIS CHORUS is heading for Zeebrugge from San Francisco and is currently cruising up the English Channel at 15kts.
Her current course would suggest that she will make a brief stop off Brixham to pick up a deep sea pilot probably around 2.30 this afternoon.
She will arrive in Zeebrugge tomorrow afternoon.

GLOVIS SUN Is heading for Zeebrugge from Shanghai. She will subsequently head to Southampton.
She has lost time as she battled against the significant Atlantic swell over the last 24 hrs and as a consequence her arrival in Zeebrugge is now delayed at least 6 hours to Friday evening.
She is currently approaching Cape Finisterre and is now making just under 15kts.
She will arrive in Zeebrugge on Friday evening and I can now confirm that she is scheduled to arrive in Southampton on the morning of 31 May. This timing may slip to the right because of her late arrival in Zeebrugge.

SUN Med progress.png

LAKE GENEVA is heading for Zeebrugge from Shanghai and is currently negotiating the Suez Canal.
She has helpfully updated her AIS already to confirm her destination is Zeebrugge with and ETA of 3 Jun.
This is a day earlier than I expected. (Harsh, since her ETA is 2200 on 3 Jun)

GLOVIS CENTURY is about to pass through the Windward Passage.
Her speed has increased again and at present she is making just under 18 kts.
Once again I’m inclined to think that she is going to try and arrive in Zeebrugge earlier, on 4 Jun
Unhelpfully, she has still not updated her AIS with an ETA for Zeebrugge.
At the moment I expect her arrival in Zeebrugge will be on 5 Jun but if she keeps her speed up I will revise it.
The earlier she arrives the more difficult it will be for the handling agents in Zeebrugge since they will be handling LAKE GENEVA at the same time.

Century Caribbean.png

HYPERION RAY is the ship that I believe will be coming to Southampton, and possibly Zeebrugge as well from Shanghai.
I haven’t received a satellite report from her and I suspect it’s a deliberate precaution.
She is due to arrive at Suez on Sunday evening and so she is probably about to enter the Gulf of Aden about now.
I expect her to arrive in Southampton around 8 Jun.

Hyp Ray to Suez.png

GLOVIS COUNTESS is the final ship of Q2 to depart Pier 80 for Europe.
She continues to keep the speed up and is currently maintaining over 17 Kts.
It’s estimate her arrival in Zeebrugge will be around 14 Jun.

The final competition of Q2 is now open. ENTER HERE

Countess Pacific.png

Satellite data supplied courtesy of marinetraffic

Reactions: CaptainBurrito
@Mr Miserable Regarding the Glovis Sun, Can the cars move around in the ships during rough weather potentially leading to damage?
Each car will have a minimum of 4, but often 8 lashings securing them to the deck so they dont move. The lashings are usually steel wire rope with hooks connecting to hoops submerged into the deck, they are tensioned using turnbuckles and done up pretty tight, it is for this reason the tyres are usually slightly under inflated for the transit and can often suffer flat spots, all in the name of security at sea.

Broken lashings and the resulting free mass can be catastrophic for vessels, too much mass movement to one side can cause a list from which there is no recovery. Occasionally a single lashing will break through fatigue or poor installation and this is often the cause of minor paint damage or dents. Its rare for vehicle to vehicle contact.

Does anyone know if these cars arriving in the next 2 weeks in Zeebrugge from Fremont come with the new trim on the door?
According to my sales rep, my model 3 should have the heated steering wheel and the new trim on the door because my car was produced after 31st of March, which seems to be the cutoff date for this. My car was produced on April 24th in Fremont, has VIN 959*** and is on GLOVIS CHORUS.
The sales rep also said that to be 100% sure, we would have to look at the car when it has arrived.

@Mr Miserable Regarding the Glovis Sun, Can the cars move around in the ships during rough weather potentially leading to damage?
I think @Alic01 has supplied an excellent answer regarding the lashings. Also it's worth bearing in mind that Tesla will have stipulated the minimum distance between the cars. This is normally about 40cm. This will be entered on to a computer to calculate the stowage plan. The cars will be parked closely together, observing the minimum distance. This means that the cars are secure in that nobody can enter the cars whilst at sea and has the other advantage that should lashings break in heavy weather the car will be restrained from moving far by its neighbours.
Whilst at sea the vehicle decks are regularly checked for fire and the security of lashings.

The cars are not just parked willy-nilly.
There are 3 systems of parking vehicles on the ship: the 1st is a clockwise system for RHD vehicles the 2nd is anticlockwise for LHD vehicles and the 3rd system is the head-out system where vehicles are parked facing the exit where space is too tight to use the first two methods. You can guess that loading is a longer process than the unloading.

@Mr Miserable Do you think SPICA LEADER is a good candidate to carry M3LRs to Norway? It was docked near LAKE FUXIAN for a while in Zeebrügge.
Yes I do. My concern when LAKE FUXIAN was delayed arriving at Zeebrugge 'the hub' was the crossloading on to the 'spoke' ships of which SPICA LEADER is one however I reckon the crossload will have gone ahead.
My other concern is space at Drammen. There appears to be severe congestion at Drammen at the moment and cars, including Teslas, are still on the quayside from previous ships. I've not seen it as bad as this before.

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
Status
Not open for further replies.