Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there she is ....

2DB2B700-DC4E-446F-8087-B0F1ADF46799.jpeg

Great news..... my delivery text has just this second come through - car is due to be delivered to me Saturday 27th November. I wonder what that means for the possible ships it could be on....... any ideas anyone?
I would have said Helios Ray as expected in Southampton on the 17th, collections are from 25th looking at the other thread, mine included on the 27th

Reactions: DeanJohno
Not sure it will help to narrow down what ship UK deliveries are on. I just had my collection text and I am booked for a Newcastle collection on the 2nd December, this was the earliest date I was able to select.
HELIOS RAY or VIKING OCEAN for you too i'd say after my hours and hours of obssesive new found infactuation with vehicle carriers, routes and timings hahahah I've lost the plot!! Plus you are further North than me...... 2nd Dec fits

All these delivery texts are raising peoples spirits.
My name is Mr Miserable and so I will now highlight a couple of the safety issues RoRo's have - and this is depressing...

The first issue is fire. A fire on any ship is damned serious but a small fire on a RoRo can very quickly spread due to the open deck design and lack of bulkheads. Accordingly fire prevention is taken very seriously. Fire-fighting systems are regularly inspected and maintained in good working order. The decks are well ventilated to prevent the build up of any gases. The cargo decks are regularly patrolled. The SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) regulations stipulate the fire-fighting systems that must be carried, the forced ventilation requirements and other mandatory design features.
The fire-fighting systems onboard include high pressure and low pressure carbon dioxide systems which rob the fire of oxygen. Clearly there are lots of control measures in place to ensure all personnel are located in safe areas before these systems can be used however only last month (Sep 21) three mariners were suffocated by the ships CO2 system when a fire drill went badly wrong. (SANG SHIN)
Additionally there are water spray systems, water misting systems, foam systems and fire doors. Needless to say, there is a comprehensive fire and smoke detection and alarm system too.
Smoking on a cargo deck is strictly forbidden. It's not really a problem at the major ports as the stevedores are well trained and know the rules but at ports where RoRo's are not a common sight the crew are extra vigilant for this.

Despite all the fire prevention measures and extinguishing equipment I have counted 5 major fires on car carriers since January 2019.
January 2019 SINCERITY ACE caught fire whilst crossing the Pacific with 3500 Nissans on board. 5 Crewman died
March 2019 GRANDE AMERICA caught fire and sank in the Bay of Biscay.
May 2019 GRANDE EUROPA caught fire whilst off the Spanish coast in the Mediterranean. It had no less than 2 separate fires in brand new vehicles within the space of 4 hours.
June 2019 DIAMOND HIGHWAY was abandoned in the South China Sea because of a fire onboard.
June 2020 HOEGH XIAMEN caught fire whilst loading at Jacksonville Florida. Despite the fire service being on scene very quickly and using drones with IR cameras to detect hot spots, the ship continued to burn for days. This fire was very concerning since if a fire cannot be extinguished when alongside with the benefit of a fully equipped and trained fire service using fire boats and all the latest technology, what chance would it have at sea?

The causation of most of these fires is put down to car batteries - that’s normal ICE 12V car batteries on brand new cars.
No I don’t suppose you read about these horrific incidents in the Daily Mail since they didn’t involve a Tesla.
Since you are all waiting for electric cars with enormous batteries you may be concerned but so far I have not seen any reports of any EV's catching fire whilst onboard a ship. That's not to say it won't happen because EV's have 12 volt batteries too, so sadly it's only a matter of time....

The second safety issue with RoRo's is stability and what happens should they become unstable and I'll cover that in a future post.

My name is Mr Miserable and so I will now highlight a couple of the safety issues RoRo's have - and this is depressing...

The first issue is fire. A fire on any ship is damned serious but a small fire on a RoRo can very quickly spread due to the open deck design and lack of bulkheads. Accordingly fire prevention is taken very seriously. Fire-fighting systems are regularly inspected and maintained in good working order. The decks are well ventilated to prevent the build up of any gases. The cargo decks are regularly patrolled. The SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) regulations stipulate the fire-fighting systems that must be carried, the forced ventilation requirements and other mandatory design features.
The fire-fighting systems onboard include high pressure and low pressure carbon dioxide systems which rob the fire of oxygen. Clearly there are lots of control measures in place to ensure all personnel are located in safe areas before these systems can be used however only last month (Sep 21) three mariners were suffocated by the ships CO2 system when a fire drill went badly wrong. (SANG SHIN)
Additionally there are water spray systems, water misting systems, foam systems and fire doors. Needless to say, there is a comprehensive fire and smoke detection and alarm system too.
Smoking on a cargo deck is strictly forbidden. It's not really a problem at the major ports as the stevedores are well trained and know the rules but at ports where RoRo's are not a common sight the crew are extra vigilant for this.

Despite all the fire prevention measures and extinguishing equipment I have counted 5 major fires on car carriers since January 2019.
January 2019 SINCERITY ACE caught fire whilst crossing the Pacific with 3500 Nissans on board. 5 Crewman died
March 2019 GRANDE AMERICA caught fire and sank in the Bay of Biscay.
May 2019 GRANDE EUROPA caught fire whilst off the Spanish coast in the Mediterranean. It had no less than 2 separate fires in brand new vehicles within the space of 4 hours.
June 2019 DIAMOND HIGHWAY was abandoned in the South China Sea because of a fire onboard.
June 2020 HOEGH XIAMEN caught fire whilst loading at Jacksonville Florida. Despite the fire service being on scene very quickly and using drones with IR cameras to detect hot spots, the ship continued to burn for days. This fire was very concerning since if a fire cannot be extinguished when alongside with the benefit of a fully equipped and trained fire service using fire boats and all the latest technology, what chance would it have at sea?

The causation of most of these fires is put down to car batteries - that’s normal ICE 12V car batteries on brand new cars.
No I don’t suppose you read about these horrific incidents in the Daily Mail since they didn’t involve a Tesla.
Since you are all waiting for electric cars with enormous batteries you may be concerned but so far I have not seen any reports of any EV's catching fire whilst onboard a ship. That's not to say it won't happen because EV's have 12 volt batteries too, so sadly it's only a matter of time....

The second safety issue with RoRo's is stability and what happens should they become unstable and I'll cover that in a future post.
I got My vin now so how do i find what ship the car is on? Is it another way then waiting for Veda service to answer? Its supose to arrive 14-26november in Malmö, Sweden

My 2nd Tesla on its way :) I remember this fun for my 1st delivery in March 2020 tracking ships etc! Will be interesting to compare my US built SR+ to my new Chinese LR.

Ordered 9th September M3 Red LR black interior with sports wheels. Delivery confirmed for 30th November (home delivery near Glasgow).

Suspect it is on HELIOS RAY or VIKING OCEAN

Reactions: DeanJohno
@Mr M.

NABUCCO has departed for Singapore will you be tracking this now?

Yes
We know she is heading to Zeebrugge and will arrive there on 28 Nov. Singapore is just a refuel stop.
If she is heading to Southampton first she should arrive there on 26 Nov.
There was another itinerary for her that had her routing via Bristol and that would mean she is not carrying any Teslas, for the UK at least.
For the moment however I am going to assume she is on the Southampton route.
I will be looking for supporting VIN activity in the coming days though.

Reactions: Washout and Swadesh
My name is Mr Miserable
I guess I'm sharing your Mr Miserable status at the moment. Looks like i just missed the cutoff for Vins etc on the last round (5th October Order Date), so miserably looking at everyone else all happy and suchlike.

Will follow the thread with interest for the next Tesla ships to hit China and hope that I'll make it onto that one

I guess I'm sharing your Mr Miserable status at the moment. Looks like i just missed the cutoff for Vins etc on the last round (5th October Order Date), so miserably looking at everyone else all happy and suchlike.

Will follow the thread with interest for the next Tesla ships to hit China and hope that I'll make it onto that one
You may still get yours. They don't get built to order, so if there's a car on board that matches your order (or gets freed by someone changing or cancelling theirs) you may get assigned underway.

Status
Not open for further replies.