Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Tesla Model 3 Mobile Connector Charging Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at a Model 3/Y currently, and wanted to see if UK owners of the current Model 3 could confirm how fast the standard mobile connector is when used with in a typical 240v socket. If someone knows the approx mileage added per hour that would be great. I have tried searching but getting quite mixed results and not many in the UK.
Thanks in advance!

Tesla Model 3 Standard Range (other models on website)

Charge when you get back (warmer) rather than wait until car is cold, also applicable to EVSEs (home chargers). Normal domestic EVSE charger is 7.4 kw

You can dial back the amps if you want to play it safer (in car/app). Some people don't want to use 10 amps for extended periods unsupervised (eg visiting friends with old wiring). Contentious as many people use granny cable and nothing else. I did for a few weeks waiting for EVSE install & have used it at friends' houses.

1640823542975.png

Upvote 0
Thats super helpful, thank you! How is the M3 so far?
It's great! Constantly trying to find excuses to go somewhere just so I can drive it! Drove to Leicester and back yesterday from Herts, and was great, made even better by Leicester beating Liverpool! 😄

It's not perfect, but the minor "niggles" are far outweighed by how great it is to drive and how it makes you feel! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Reactions: Peter 224
Upvote 0
It's great! Constantly trying to find excuses to go somewhere just so I can drive it! Drove to Leicester and back yesterday from Herts, and was great, made even better by Leicester beating Liverpool! 😄

It's not perfect, but the minor "niggles" are far outweighed by how great it is to drive and how it makes you feel! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
Good to hear! Awaiting some insurance quotes here initially, hopefully not crazy expensive. Currently have a thirsty diesel Land Rover.

Upvote 0
Tesla Model 3 Standard Range (other models on website)

Charge when you get back (warmer) rather than wait until car is cold, also applicable to EVSEs (home chargers). Normal domestic EVSE charger is 7.4 kw

You can dial back the amps if you want to play it safer (in car/app). Some people don't want to use 10 amps for extended periods unsupervised (eg visiting friends with old wiring). Contentious as many people use granny cable and nothing else. I did for a few weeks waiting for EVSE install & have used it at friends' houses.

View attachment 749801
Thanks for that!

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Upvote 0
That would equate to 200wh per mile. No one in an M3 is achieving that on average at any time of year.And certainly not in winter Its actually 2.3kw but after charging losses and at this time of year you have to assume more like 5-7mph dependant on the sort of driving you are doing.
Yes, of course the miles you get will depend on how you drive, and the temperature.

2kW is based on

Screenshot_20211230-010640_Tesla.jpg

However, being more precise...

I'm averaging 290Wh/mile at the moment, so 3.45 miles/kWh

So 2kw / hour ~ 6.9miles per hour rather than 10.

Reactions: GH2000
Upvote 0
That would equate to 200wh per mile. No one in an M3 is achieving that on average at any time of year.And certainly not in winter Its actually 2.3kw but after charging losses and at this time of year you have to assume more like 5-7mph dependant on the sort of driving you are doing.
Are you sure? yesterday Scotch corner charger to Middlesbrough along country roads for a bit of enjoyment :) MIC 3 SR+

Attachments

• IMG_20211230_080328.jpg
    IMG_20211230_080328.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0
Yes, of course the miles you get will depend on how you drive, and the temperature.

2kW is based on

View attachment 749815

However, being more precise...

I'm averaging 290Wh/mile at the moment, so 3.45 miles/kWh

So 2kw / hour ~ 6.9miles per hour rather than 10.
it is also saying 10amp and 2.41 volts which is high given the average uk voltage of 230v but 2.4*10 is actually 2.4KW so either its rounding or losses in charging. Either way I agree that 6.9 seems more realistic

If the op is asking the question so they know how long they would have to charge at a destination so they can do a single drive home then that 6.9mph is a good figure.
but
If the op plans to use the UMC for daily charging and wants to work out how long each night the car would need to be on charge its no good
On average over time I consume 30% more power at the charger than the car reports used on journeys. I think most would find this typical if they check. This is due to charger losses. preheating, phantom drain, a bit of sentry, etc so the reality could sadly be that for each 2.4kw consumed by the charger you only get to use about 1.68kw for actual driving. based on your 290wh/m that is now 5.8mph.
And if the Op is doing a lot of short journeys this time of year that could be 320wh/m so now we are down to 5.2mph etc etc.

This is probably why the op has seen so many different figures. because there are so many variables.

Upvote 0
Are you sure? yesterday Scotch corner charger to Middlesbrough along country roads for a bit of enjoyment :) MIC 3 SR+

Yes its doable on a single jouney in an heatpump SR+. But its best case. you would not use it as the basis to advise anyone. So what is your lifetime wh/m. guessing its a little higher?

Also Op said M3 or MY so I am assuming LR since there is no SR MY.

Reactions: NewbieT
Upvote 0
Yes its doable on a single jouney in an heatpump SR+. But its best case. you would not use it as the basis to advise anyone. So what is your lifetime wh/m. guessing its a little higher?

Also Op said M3 or MY so I am assuming LR since there is no SR MY.
Agree there are lots of variables like having just left a charger :) The main way to get the best out of the car is to understand the variables. heavy left foot (hard to resist :)), preheating while not mains connected and the many other power hungry vices this car has if not checked. Its a great car and a pleasure to drive but can be a bit of a steep learning curve on the charging and use front and also getting used to the squeaky bum scenario of arriving at yesterdays supercharger with 4% :eek:

Upvote 0
it is also saying 10amp and 2.41 volts which is high given the average uk voltage of 230v but 2.4*10 is actually 2.4KW so either its rounding or losses in charging.
It definitely rounds the figure. I recently charged at 7 A with the voltage at 220 V and it still showed 2 kW on the app even though actual power was just over 1.5 kW.

I calculate the miles per hour as the charging current -1. So at the maximum 10 A it is 9 mph, if you have to lower the current to avoid overheating, for example down to 7A then the charging speed would be 6 mph.

Upvote 0
I am the same with the app always showing 2kw/10mph charging. However I also understand that in winter that is in reality 2kw/6mph!

I have been able to manage perfectly happily with the granny charger when at home with SuC when travelling and occasional free CPS 3phase charging when needed.

Upvote 0