Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.8.10.1 on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P85D MCU1/AP1/original eMMC currently on: 2021.24.28.2

I've been having a ton of scroll wheels glitching, MCU screen lag, and black-out non-responsive MCU screen. This is a pain as it seems to put the vehicle in a sort of limp mode when the MCU screen is blank (chill acceleration and pegged to 40kW supercharging). These black out session can last hours sometimes. eMMC status still shows green on app, but i would like to bring it in early. might try to schedule a service visit soon/

Hoping 2022.8.10.5 fixes most of these issues and it is not hardware related. Installing it now.
*crossing fingers*

I am also running 2021.24.28 (v10.2) and my MCU screen keeps going blank and staying blank. So far it appears to be heat related for me. Did updating the software fix yours?

I am also running 2021.24.28 (v10.2) and my MCU screen keeps going blank and staying blank. So far it appears to be heat related for me. Did updating the software fix yours?
I got auto updated 2022.8.10.12 recently .. so not on that software ver anymore. But more importantly I got my eMMC replaced by service recently. I haven’t had blank and unresponsive MCU issues lately since the new memory card was put in.

You can try keeping overheat protection on and clearing your map recent destinations as well as moving to a new software version to see if the problem alleviates a bit , but might be time for that new memory card if you haven’t done that already, should be covered and at no cost.

On a separate note, my vehicle has developed an annoying electronic buzz after one of these recent software updates (seems to come from middle or passenger side front of cabin), the buzz seems to have some correlation to steering angle and HV load change, I hope it isn’t the steering motor about to go.

March 2015 vehicle with 203,000km

I got auto updated 2022.8.10.12 recently .. so not on that software ver anymore. But more importantly I got my eMMC replaced by service recently. I haven’t had blank and unresponsive MCU issues lately since the new memory card was put in.

You can try keeping overheat protection on and clearing your map recent destinations as well as moving to a new software version to see if the problem alleviates a bit , but might be time for that new memory card if you haven’t done that already, should be covered and at no cost.

On a separate note, my vehicle has developed an annoying electronic buzz after one of these recent software updates (seems to come from middle or passenger side front of cabin), the buzz seems to have some correlation to steering angle and HV load change, I hope it isn’t the steering motor about to go.

March 2015 vehicle with 203,000km

I had electronic buzz on my 2018 X constantly, SC found out it was one of the battery cooling pump went out

My car has been down due to some HV battery issues. I have finally sorted that out and now I'm moving on to the MCU issues. As far as I know, the eMMC failure has been addressed on my car already because my VIN doesn't show up on the Tesla recalls page. I updated my software version out of the more buggy 2021.24.28 and into some 2022 version but the problem is just as bad as it was before.

Does the memory card need to be switched out periodically even after the eMMC issue is resolved by Tesla under the recall?

You can ask Tesla about the eMMC change by opening a service request on the app, they will give you answer accordingly. If you have followed the suggestion and cleaned up said memory and also have removed any USB device while rebooting the car then it should make fresh start. That memory fix recall is one time only. If this is not giving you hoped solution then it’s probably worth to upgrade to MCU2. You will sacrifice some of current features but it’s the only way out currently.
I settled with the recall and the car is performing as should. I hope this does keeps going.

Reactions: dbldwn02
My car has been down due to some HV battery issues. I have finally sorted that out and now I'm moving on to the MCU issues. As far as I know, the eMMC failure has been addressed on my car already because my VIN doesn't show up on the Tesla recalls page. I updated my software version out of the more buggy 2021.24.28 and into some 2022 version but the problem is just as bad as it was before.

Does the memory card need to be switched out periodically even after the eMMC issue is resolved by Tesla under the recall?
Yea, the new eMMC is bigger and built for more write cycles. MCU1 just sucks with all the bloat on it. Mine is working ok, with my biggest issues being:
- Having to repeat voice commands 3 times over 15-20 seconds to get it to take...I just stopped using Voice Commands all together
- Lag in routing/re-routing
- 10% of supercharging stops cause MCU to crash at about 70-90% charge...this is a weird one but it picks back up after the re-boot 5 minutes later

IMO, None of these issues are worth $2000 upgrade (w/FM and tax) for me to pay now.

Just my personal prediction, but I don't think Tesla is going to be pushing FSD v12 to us within the next year or two, and that will be the time I do a small claims for the cost of an MCU2. Right now, my FSD v10 works just as well as v11, so I don't have much to complain about right now. My guess is they won't even show up for the case since it would cost more for the lawyer/rep to show. With my luck, they'll show, win, and counter-sue me for lawyer costs...lol. I'll wait for someone else to pave the way for me.

Reactions: EbS-P