Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 LFP model 3 range/ efficiency in British winter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone with a recent delivery had a chance to test out the range or efficiency of the 60kwh 2022 model 3 with LFP batteries in this cold weather?
You’ll see much better efficiency if you pre heat too. My 55kw LFP is still doing 200-225wh/m with ambient 4 degrees. But if it’s cold that slips back to 270-280wh/m. City driving on a 32 mile commute. When I got it in Sep it was doing about 190wh/m at 14+ degrees.

Bjorns just done a YouTube review - LFP range seems to be down about 30% on rated in winter and charging is a dog if the battery is cold but at least you can preheat it on the way to superchargers.

Ignore the %ers, there are pros and cons of % v miles but displaying % doesn’t help you plan and set expectations which was your question.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
On collection it was supercharging about 20kwh. I stopped after 5 mins, just wanted to test. On the cold battery drive home it used alot of energy warming the battery 350wh/m, after 10 miles it was dropping fast and selted about 240wh/m, compatible to my 2019 NCA.

Tested another superchage later in the evening. Warm battery and the same route but -5c colder and hit 195wh/m. This is a bit better than my 2019 which was around 220wh/m.

Short range it uses more power to warm the battery. I can see my 30 min work drive using more power in cold weather, for llonger journeys I think this will out perform my old car.

When I pre-heat my LFP car, from the charger, it takes 7 kw of power from the mains. I guess it tuned for fast warm up...

Just a curious tangent. If you dial down the amps in the app, does it still use 7kW when pre heating, or might this be a way to reduce the amount of shore power the car uses at times when carbon generation is at it highest? I can't test as we have slow home charging, although I guess I could dial it down to 5A.

Just a curious tangent. If you dial down the amps in the app, does it still use 7kW when pre heating, or might this be a way to reduce the amount of shore power the car uses at times when carbon generation is at it highest? I can't test as we have slow home charging, although I guess I could dial it down to 5A
I cannot adjust the current as it's not charging the battery when pre-conditioning. Also the cars at 100% SoC.
Looking at SMT I can see R power at 2.5kw, Evap demand using 1 kw and DC to DC converter using 1 kw, but I can't see where all the other power is being used??
There appears to be 0.8 Amps (+/- 0.25 kw) flowing in/out of the battery (could be more but can't tell from SMT) at a few times a second. Could that be the missing 2.5 kw??

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger
F2B46A1C-97BC-4E44-AA38-BA184BF3A2BB.jpeg
I’ve been out on business for a few days.

Charged to 100%, drove for 80 miles 4 degrees C (mixture of 75mph motorway and 60mph A roads).

Parked for 2 days (0 degrees overnight).

Drove 4 people down to and around town (0 degrees C), 10 miles.

Parked for 2 days in the ice and snow.

Drove back 80 miles (75mph motorway and 60 A roads).

Loss of 1% battery overnight per day.

Got home with 14% charge.

Looks like roughly 200 miles in 0-4 degrees temperature with mixed driving. I think that’s pretty good for the 60Kwh battery.

Reactions: Limey and Simonix
That looks like an average of ~6 kw over 25 mins = 2.5 kwhr. On Octopus GO (peak) that would cost around 33p/day. That's quite a chunk compared to how much it cost to drive the car each day and that's why I only pre-condition when there is ice on the windscreen and then only till it's clear...

Apart from lower regen the car performs well during the cold weather without preconditioning... the heated seats/steering wheel make the car feel warm from the getgo anyway.

Charging on 7 kw during cold weather is no slower than in the summer although its rarely been below zero C this year.

Yup, the data was from my test to see how much battery temp increases after cabin temp is reached, how much energy it uses and see heat pump in action.

I now do not precondition and drive with a cold battery. When I do need to charge I time it to finish before I leave home.