Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 USB-C ports inside the console don't communicate with infotainment system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@CarlThompson Many of the M3P reviews rave about the handling, comparing it to BMW M3s and such. And they were mostly done when the car was first launched, likely with that initial higher-quality suspension.

Oops, just noticed that part. The suspension change I'm talking about was before there was a Model 3 Performance. There was only one launch edition Model 3 in those days. The Performance does have a better suspension than the regular AWD but in my opinion it's still not as good as the original Model 3 suspension (but that's subjective).

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
For those of you frustrated by the lack of data capability in your model 3 or Y, a solution has arrived.

Using a link found in this thread, I was alerted about a replacement data module on Ali express. I corresponded with the company in China, and although they were able to demonstrate it’s successful implementation on a MIC model Y, they could not assure me it would work in a Fremont assembled American made unit. Seemed too risky for me to fork over $160 for the experiment.

I next corresponded with Abstract Ocean, a well-regarded American third party after market Tesla reseller. I was able to reach the CEO, Pete, who took an interest in the product, ordered it from one of his suppliers in China, and tested it on his data enabled Tesla. It worked. He then reached out to me, sent me the parts and asked me to install it in my neutered 2022 Model Y. I am happy to report it works successfully and there was an orphaned and functioning data cable in my console.

View attachment 761569
Here is the module
View attachment 761570
This is the successful opening of the console using the supplied tool.View attachment 761581here is the orphaned cable.View attachment 761582

new module installed
View attachment 761589
Old and new module side by side. Note addition of data port.

View attachment 761590
Here are the two cables plugged in before I reattached it to the console panel wall.

I was able to pop the console wall back in place and it is undetectable.

usb music works. Wireless gaming with a dongle or wired gaming works.

here is a link to purchase from Abstract Ocean. Send your thanks to Pete for making this happen! He is sourcing modules from China and has established a waiting list. Not sure about price yet, but he guesses it will be in the $130 range, although he’s going to start by discounting them for less to the early ordering customers.

USB-C Upgrade Module

Be aware that Tesla could inactivate this cable via software if they wish. Also, this doesn’t restore Sonic or Cuphead. That appears to be VIN enabled. We need to figure out how to get this enabled too. Someone please figure this out.

I’m somewhat good with my hands, so not easily intimidated. However, I would rate this install as slightly harder than easy, but less than difficult. As long as you are patient, you can do this.

I have the AMD so I can confirm
That it works.

A usb hub should work on intel, ryzen, mac, or anything. It’s an unintelligent device and acts as just a conduit, so it really shouldn’t matter what your cpu brand is.

Just to confirm that you put in the data module and changed your port from a charge only to a data port?
You had the extra connector and wire in the console?

Just to confirm that you put in the data module and changed your port from a charge only to a data port?
You had the extra connector and wire in the console?
Yes. Opened console with supplied tool. Found orphaned cable. Swapped new module. Ports now function as data plus power. See the post I made it has pictures documenting this. Link to order is in the post.

Were you able to check the power profiles / max power of your original front USB-C ports, and now of the replacement ports?
I was able to attach iPhones to the console ports and the rear passenger port and charge without difficulty. I didn’t really check any other products to see voltages or amperages.

After the swap the phones charge at the same rate without difficulty using either a usb c cable or a usb c to a adapter and a lighting cable. The only difference is now I can use a gaming controller, usb drive for music or even the sentry drive. I’ve successfully used a dongle and gamed
wirelessly.

I decided to leave the Tesla usb drive in the glovebox. I keep a wireless dongle in one of the console ports and usb music in the other.

I’m now going to explore one of the third party hubs to put in the console. Any suggestions?

Just got my 2022 M3 LR last Tuesday. The USB-C ports inside the center console are present and powered, but are not talking to the infotainment computer (controllers, drives don’t work). USB in glovebox works fine with drives and controllers. I know that the rear ports are power-only and are functioning as such.

As far as I can see, the manual indicates these are supposed to communicate with infotainment. I've scheduled service for sometime towards the end of the month. Software version 2021.35.103. The restart combination of holding both steering wheel buttons successfully reboots the screen, but does fix the issue.

Anyone else run into this issue? If so, were you able to fix it?
Hi,

There has been a discussion regarding the issue you met. Basically, Tesla canceled the data transmission function due to chip shortage for all 2022 Model 3/Y. Per Tesla service center, they currently don't hear that Tesla will retrofit this function. You may also find more details in discussion below:

Fortunately, we have designed and made the data transmission module to restore the data transmission function at console data ports. And there's been lots of TMC members discussion about our products.

You may find more product information at our product page!
Hope this help and let us know if you have any questions regarding our products!

I was in for service recently and rep was adamant that data transfer capability was removed in all 2022 Models (3/Y) and would not be retrofit.
It does seem to have been removed from all of them, and Tesla may well not offer a retrofit, but it does appear a retrofit is perfectly feasible. Unfortunately we still won't have access to games that depend on controllers until they release an update that can use bluetooth controllers.

I was in for service recently and rep was adamant that data transfer capability was removed in all 2022 Models (3/Y) and would not be retrofit.
I was in about 2 weeks ago, and asked why Elon was tweeting about Sonic "all Teslas" and then their newest M3 and MY don't have them installed since they don't have data in the center console.... They didn't have a response for that.

1645044967097.png

Hi,

There has been a discussion regarding the issue you met. Basically, Tesla canceled the data transmission function due to chip shortage for all 2022 Model 3/Y. Per Tesla service center, they currently don't hear that Tesla will retrofit this function. You may also find more details in discussion below:

Fortunately, we have designed and made the data transmission module to restore the data transmission function at console data ports. And there's been lots of TMC members discussion about our products.

You may find more product information at our product page!
Hope this help and let us know if you have any questions regarding our products!
I’m not paying $90 for something that’s free!

I bought the 3rd party module and I now have data in my console as I should have had originally. Since I didn't have the module originally, I don't have cuphead or Sonic or any of the other controller games in my Tesla. Does anyone know if I can request an update to the tesla to add these games now that I have the functionality?

I bought the 3rd party module and I now have data in my console as I should have had originally. Since I didn't have the module originally, I don't have cuphead or Sonic or any of the other controller games in my Tesla. Does anyone know if I can request an update to the tesla to add these games now that I have the functionality?
[Opinion] I don’t know but I doubt they’ll flip that bit for a 3rd party module. There’s a condition somewhere that says if you don’t have x hardware… no sonic/cup head. I’m in the same boat and it irks me.