Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X roof sensor not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys!

Something very bothering began to appear to my new 2022 model X today.
When parked in garage, the FWDs on typically open half way. But this afternoon it suddenly opened all the way to the top as if it were outside. And it happened to both doors. Previously I remember seeing red curves surronding the doors & cars indicating obstacles but there are gone. So I am guessing that the sensors are not working. I am not sure whether it is the roof sensor that's responsible for the doors, or there are hiden ones.
I did some research and didn't find a similar issue reported. Typically people saw the opposite—their doors don't open all the way because of phantom obstacles. Someone suggested a door calibration but there was no such option in my car. I tried to manually recalibrate it by pressing the button for 30s but it didn't change anything. I even tried factor reset and it didn't help. A service centor visit has been scheduled but it's two weeks away. I am worried that it might scatch people's cars in the parking lot. I am also reluctant to try it out with my wife's model Y...
Many thanks in advance for your help!
IMG_2169.jpeg
IMG_2170.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: mokorean and jiehan
This issue came back again... rebooting or power off (controls>safty>power off>wait 2min) didn't fix this. I had to wait long enough (while plugged in) until there was a "deep sleep" (screen remained black for a few secs before booting up when reentering the vehicle) for the problem to fix by itself.

• Informative
Reactions: jiehan
This issue came back again... rebooting or power off (controls>safty>power off>wait 2min) didn't fix this. I had to wait long enough (while plugged in) until there was a "deep sleep" (screen remained black for a few secs before booting up when reentering the vehicle) for the problem to fix by itself.
I always reboot with the screen going black while seated in the car. Press both buttons on steering wheel while holding down brake pedal. What to everything to go dark. Release. I don't think I have every rebooted with the car attached to the charger.

I just picked up my Tesla x 2 days ago and same thing is happening to me.

It says when door is set to “auto” it’s suppose to open the door in the lower mode. But today it suddenly opened it up fully and damaged my car when it hit the garage motor.

It’s not just the roof sensor for me, I stand next to the door and the door just pushed me away without stopping and open fully

• Informative

It says when door is set to “auto” it’s suppose to open the door in the lower mode. But today it suddenly opened it up fully and damaged my car when it hit the garage motor.

It’s not just the roof sensor for me, I stand next to the door and the door just pushed me away without stopping and open fully
Another reason to never set any door on your X to Auto. That includes car doors and your garage doors.

If you change the wheel config to something else and then back, it will restart every module in the car which is a lot more than the normal two finger reboot or power offer off and wait.

• Helpful
Reactions: strider

I always make sure to never part my X under the garage door opener. For those that don't have a deep enough garage for this, I highly recommend using a jackshaft opener instead of overhead. They're even quieter and give you back space.

liftmaster-8500-wall-mount-garage-door-opener-154.gif

I think we have the same issue! I was told by a Tesla service person that there are 3 ultrasonic sensors likely involved: one is on the top of the car, the other two are hidden in the FWD (the sensor hiden in FWD somehow turns the whole door into a giant sensor). The fact that the problem solved by itself indicate a software issue. They had checked the log of my car but didn't find anything. So far this issue has occured to me 3 times and they always resolved after deep sleeps. I am glad that I am not the only person who had this issue and hopefully it will get escalated and Tesla will identify the cause and fix it.

• Informative
Hum...This happened to me too! I picked up my X on Sept 17. Parked right away in the garage after I got home. At that time, on the front screen, you can see a little "shield" sensors on the top and the sides, because it detected objects. SO, when the driver, passenger, falcon, AND trunk doors open, it does NOT open all the way. However, two days later, those "shield" sensor/detector went away and the doors suddenly opened all the way! Luckily, I stopped it in time before any damages were made.

I didn't think much of it, but I thought it was my fault, when I may have accidentally changed a setting. So I went back and verified everything. But nothing I did bring back the sensor "shield." This included resetting the car, rebooting, recharging, etc. Then suddenly, a couple of days later, the "shield" sensor came back...to again disappear the very next day. So...here I am now, not sure what to do; I've sent request into services, but have not received the appointment to be seen yet by their department.

• Informative
Hum...This happened to me too! I picked up my X on Sept 17. Parked right away in the garage after I got home. At that time, on the front screen, you can see a little "shield" sensors on the top and the sides, because it detected objects. SO, when the driver, passenger, falcon, AND trunk doors open, it does NOT open all the way. However, two days later, those "shield" sensor/detector went away and the doors suddenly opened all the way! Luckily, I stopped it in time before any damages were made.

I didn't think much of it, but I thought it was my fault, when I may have accidentally changed a setting. So I went back and verified everything. But nothing I did bring back the sensor "shield." This included resetting the car, rebooting, recharging, etc. Then suddenly, a couple of days later, the "shield" sensor came back...to again disappear the very next day. So...here I am now, not sure what to do; I've sent request into services, but have not received the appointment to be seen yet by their department.
Yep, pretty sure it's the same issue, just that yours took a bit longer to fix itself than mine. I picked up mine on 8/23 so it might only happen to cars manufactured recently.

Happening here too. Took delivery only a few weeks ago. Doors were working fine inside our garage only to have what the discussion here calls a sensor failure. Fortunately our doors didn’t go fully up. It made contact at the fold point with the garage door and did stop. I assume there was enough contact or pressure to the door that it stopped. Did it a second time with same results. Not sure how to resolve this either and hesitant to try a third time as each causes a contact and resulting scratches and scuffs. Will try the reboot.

I saw a similar discussion on a different thread suggesting heat and sun rays being the cause. Our car was parked outside the entire Texas day before heading home into the garage when this happened. Getting our car tinted recently I was reminded of the wide range of sun and UV tint products out there. Wondering if that may be a hack or if that turns out to further obstruct the sensors especially at nights with even less light for the sensors.

We’re on 2022.23.101.1 Shows the latest version and not given an update option if there is something later.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Happening here too. Took delivery only a few weeks ago. Doors were working fine inside our garage only to have what the discussion here calls a sensor failure. Fortunately our doors didn’t go fully up. It made contact at the fold point with the garage door and did stop. I assume there was enough contact or pressure to the door that it stopped. Did it a second time with same results. Not sure how to resolve this either and hesitant to try a third time as each causes a contact and resulting scratches and scuffs. Will try the reboot.

I saw a similar discussion on a different thread suggesting heat and sun rays being the cause. Our car was parked outside the entire Texas day before heading home into the garage when this happened. Getting our car tinted recently I was reminded of the wide range of sun and UV tint products out there. Wondering if that may be a hack or if that turns out to further obstruct the sensors especially at nights with even less light for the sensors.

We’re on 2022.23.101.1 Shows the latest version and not given an update option if there is something later.
My car was parked in garage when this happened (4 times so far), and it was rainy when the last time this happens...

Can you guys manually set the max height at that location so that the FWD won't hit anything - while waiting for a fix to the issue?
Yes you can change the height from auto to low so it only opens half way. That should reduce the risk of hitting the ceiling. But I am not sure about cars parking next. I believe the trajectory of the door opening might be different when it detects car parking next, especially in tight space.