Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X roof sensor not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're suggesting the workaround is to never let the car go to sleep to maintain the working state of the sensor. Instead of just enabling sentry mode at home, can't that be done more thoroughly by just disabling it from sleeping? I'm not near my X, but in my S and 3, I recall there was an option (in the display menu???) to keep the car awake at all times for immediate app connection or something.
Exactly.
Just checked my X and Y, didn't find obvious options to disable the car from going to sleep. Perhaps in older versions or 3rd party app?

You're suggesting the workaround is to never let the car go to sleep to maintain the working state of the sensor. Instead of just enabling sentry mode at home, can't that be done more thoroughly by just disabling it from sleeping? I'm not near my X, but in my S and 3, I recall there was an option (in the display menu???) to keep the car awake at all times for immediate app connection or something.
There is an option in the car for sure. You can also activate it from the app, under “Security and Drivers.”

All of the First Responder guides are here: First Responders | Tesla
The newest Model S ERG calls out the Li-Ion low voltage battery, but I don't see a refresh-X guide posted yet.

As for reboots -- the scroll wheels simply restart the MCU computer and instrument cluster. The wheel-size-change also resets several controllers in the car beyond just the MCU. I recently had a case where my car was absolutely stuck in Car Wash Mode; just simply would not exit. We had to push the car out of the wash tunnel. Scroll wheel reset was ineffective -it rebooted the MCU but was still stuck in Car Wash Mode. I had to do a wheel size change, which power-cycles some of the system controllers, to actually get it unstuck. Was a bizarre case, but the car wash owner learned something that day :)
That is just garbage sware and shouldn't happen. I once had our 2020 MX not want to move, had to do the Wheel Size Change. Seemed like the 2020 was hurting for memory as this garbage happened more if was deferring a software update it had downloaded.

As a data point, our 6-2022 MX on .16 and now .36 software hasn't had FWD opening problems in this thread.

That is just garbage sware and shouldn't happen. I once had our 2020 MX not want to move, had to do the Wheel Size Change. Seemed like the 2020 was hurting for memory as this garbage happened more if was deferring a software update it had downloaded.

As a data point, our 6-2022 MX on .16 and now .36 software hasn't had FWD opening problems in this thread.

Yeah, it’s definitely not optimal behavior, but good as an owner to know how to work around it.

And our 2020 MX hasn’t had any of these issues, either. I was daring enough to open the doors in the parking garage at Yankee Stadium this weekend, without issue.

So far the work around hasn't failed. Promising to prevent further damage, but I still want a proper fix. These are not cheap cars so I would expect a working product and not having to implement work arounds.

As much as I want the Cybertruck, it will be a nightmare as we're all beta testers.)

Reactions: bowhan
SO I've been monitoring my sensor "shield" since the last time I posted. It's so weird and random. There are days that it works FINE. There are days when if I stand in front of the door, it detects my presence and does not open all the way. Then other days, where it will open fully and smack me out of the way. I cannot determine which factors contribute to it working and to it NOT working. My next appointment with Tesla is on 10/12. Will be inquiring further and will follow up here!
So finally got my MX back today! They didn't really finish all the checklist that I presented to them because it's "too new and we're lacking parts..." With regards to the FDW: they stated "Verified in logs that Falcon door lost calibration preventing movement. Re-calibrated both falcon doors. Verified doors are working as designed." That was it; that was the end of that. I wanted to inquire about how to calibrate the doors, but I guess I can look it up online. I will monitor for the next few days to see if the problem is resolved or if it comes back...Stay tuned.

wanna provide some updates here,
For past month the "power-off" tricks works for me whenever the sensors are not working, steps I took are:
1. Safety -> power-off
2. Wait for 3-4 min, during that time you might hear some mechanic click which I assume is some kind of system turned off.
3. Press brake again to wake up the system.
4. "shield" appears again.

However after I upgrade to v2022.36.5 it seems like it's not working anymore,
has anyone experience same issue..?
Thanks.

I just want to chime in to say our MX also suffered this issue today. Got home, opened FWD as usual to let the kids out and bam, both FWD simultaneously smacked the garage rail and now there're scuffs on the paint and frame. All ultrasonic sensors no longer working as they should be... the driver, passenger, FWDs, trunk -- all of them smack into things.

Will see if they can repair the scuffs at no charge due to sensor failure --

I have the same issue on my 11/2022 Mx. The sensor monitoring system occasionally disabled or disconnected. I brought it in for service few weeks ago. Tesla SC acknowledged the issue and replaced the main ultrasonic sensor (driver side FWD), however the issue still existed. I believe It’s either SW or MCU issue not the sensors. But most likely it’s SW issue since many 2022 Mx owners experiencing the same problem. This is very dangerous when the sensor monitoring system is not working. All doors including the rear lift gate fail to detect any external objects. This should be a safety recall. Hopefully Tesla can fix this via SW update soon. In the meantime I am turning off my sentry mode to see if the problem come back.

New member here, figured I'd have a look online to see why my brand new model X falcon doors keep hitting things and looks like I'm not the only one. Exact same issue as everyone else here, both fwd's and trunk will randomly open fully and hit the ceiling and walls and then all of a sudden work fine again. Currently in the SC where they say there are no reported errors. Of course there isn't, the car thinks it's in the middle of a field so why would there be any errors. Let's hope they fix the damage, unfortunately at least I know now others are having the same issue as backup to them. Version 2022.40.30

It has been a month without any problem since I excluded Sentry at home. Today I tried to see if the issue is still there by select “excluded home” in Sentry mode and the shield disappeared. So the problem is not fixed in the latest SW. I am going to disable “excluded home” in sentry mode for now and hope Tesla will fix it in the future SW update.

It has been a month without any problem since I excluded Sentry at home. Today I tried to see if the issue is still there by select “excluded home” in Sentry mode and the shield disappeared. So the problem is not fixed in the latest SW. I am going to disable “excluded home” in sentry mode for now and hope Tesla will fix it in the future SW update.

Are you saying you drove into your garage, saw the "shield", checked the "exclude home" checkbox and the "shield" instantly disappeared? Did you uncheck the box immediately and did the "shield" re-appear?

Just to add to this thread. The same thing happened to my trunk on my 22 X plaid in the garage when the trunk touched the garage door and stopped (obviously), that resulted in scuffs to the spoiler.

I am parking the car in the opposite direction in my garage as the clearance is much higher to avoid the scuffs :( . I will play around with some settings to see if this can be fixed. Good to know it's not just me.

I noticed in the last update (2022.44.30) that I lost those sensor indicators that told me if I should open my falcon doors in my garage or not. Has anyone else noticed those indicators are now missing and/or is this even an issue under that update.