Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y LR in -55c/-67f

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if charging the battery at a low rate E.g. 5A would keep the battery above -22F?
Yes but only until the battery reaches the set charge limit, else 100% state of charge (SOC). If you plug in at 20% SOC and charge to 90% SOC using the 5A setting (assuming Level 1 at 120V) charging could take several days to reach 90%.

You could leave climate on, (set to a low temperature) and the Tesla vehicle will remain powered on, periodically top off the battery. This would require a continuous power usage of ~1kW (5A at 200V is 1kW else 8A at 120V.)

Last edited:
As far as I am aware the Tesla Model Y does not warm the battery unless A) getting ready to charge or B) preconditioning before driving or C) driving in cold weather. When the Tesla vehicle is parked the only battery maintenance is periodically charging the 12V battery as needed; periodically topping off the high voltage battery to the set charging limit state of charge when the Tesla vehicle is plugged in. If you have to park the Tesla Model Y for extended period in extreme cold temperatures, i.e. below -23F (-31C) then park in a garage that may be slightly warmer than the outside temperature. A couple of times a day you could use the Tesla app to precondition the Tesla vehicle for ~30 minutes to warm up the battery. Some of the third party apps can be set to automatically precondition the Tesla vehicle multiple times per day. The battery pack weighs over 1000 lbs (500kg) and is a huge thermal mass. Once warmed the battery will remain warm for many hours. If you precondition two or three times a day in extremely cold temperatures this should keep the battery sufficiently warm. To do this you would want the Tesla vehicle to be plugged in, Level 2.
I agree with everything in your post. At these extremely cold temps, I would use a circuit/charger that could deliver at least 8KW. Then, enable Sentry mode so the car would wake to top off and warm the HV battery enough to allow this charging. Be interesting to see about how long and how much energy would be required to warm a cold soaked HV battery from say -45F to the point where charging could begin (maybe a SMT owner cold perform such a test). That said, if the HV battery cells were down to -45F they might already be damaged?

I agree with everything in your post. At these extremely cold temps, I would use a circuit/charger that could deliver at least 8KW. Then, enable Sentry mode so the car would wake to top off and warm the HV battery enough to allow this charging. Be interesting to see about how long and how much energy would be required to warm a cold soaked HV battery from say -45F to the point where charging could begin (maybe a SMT owner cold perform such a test). That said, if the HV battery cells were down to -45F they might already be damaged?
The risk to a lithium battery at temperatures below -23F (-31C) is that the electrolyte can freeze and damage the cell(s.) Charging (also adding energy to the battery via regenerative braking) would damage the battery whenever the battery temperature is below 32F (0C). The battery management system will always warm the batter, first, prior to charging (Recent information shows that the battery will be warmed to right around 39F (4C) before starting to charge.)

Reactions: DrGriz
The risk to a lithium battery at temperatures below -23F (-31C) is that the electrolyte can freeze and damage the cell(s.) Charging (also adding energy to the battery via regenerative braking) would damage the battery whenever the battery temperature is below 32F (0C). The battery management system will always warm the batter, first, prior to charging (Recent information shows that the battery will be warmed to right around 39F (4C) before starting to charge.)
Brain teaser follows:

The current 39F cell temps before charging begins a few years back was around 46F, as I measured using SMT at that time. I know this forum area is about Model Y's and I am no Physics or thermodynamics expert but I will take a wag as to the answer to the following question. If you only had the heat that could be generated from the rear motor stator windings (4KW) about how long would it take to warm a 2018 long range battery with cold soaked cells from -22F to 39F? Assuming the car was parked inside a garage with an ambient temp of -22F, my guess it would take over three hours before any charge would be added to the HV battery. Experts? does anyone have SMT results for a similar scenario?

Brain teaser follows:

The current 39F cell temps before charging begins a few years back was around 46F, as I measured using SMT at that time. I know this forum area is about Model Y's and I am no Physics or thermodynamics expert but I will take a wag as to the answer to the following question. If you only had the heat that could be generated from the rear motor stator windings (4KW) about how long would it take to warm a 2018 long range battery with cold soaked cells from -22F to 39F? Assuming the car was parked inside a garage with an ambient temp of -22F, my guess it would take over three hours before any charge would be added to the HV battery. Experts? does anyone have SMT results for a similar scenario?
Converting 1kWh to BTU = 3412 BTU; 3.5kWh = 11943 BTU. Using the old definition, 1 BTU is the amount of heat energy required to raise 1 pound of water +1 degree F. (Disregarding that the battery cells are not made of water (but the coolant does contain water), 1000 BTU would be needed to raise the temperature of 1000 pounds of water +1F. 61000 BTU would be needed to raise the temperature of 1000 pounds of water by +61F.

3.5kWh (11943 BTU) would raise the temperature by a similar +61F in 61000/11943 hours (about 5 hours, which seem crazy.) A dual motor Model Y could output twice as much heat, warm the battery +61F in 2.5 hours.

* This could be totally wrong.

Last edited:
Converting 1kWh to BTU = 3412 BTU; 3.5kWh = 11943 BTU. Using the old definition, 1 BTU is the amount of heat energy required to raise 1 pound of water +1 degree F. (Disregarding that the battery cells are not made of water (but the coolant does contain water), 1000 BTU would be needed to raise the temperature of 1000 pounds of water +1F. 6100 BTU would raise the temperature of 1000 pounds of water by +61F. 3.5kWh (11943 BTU) would raise the temperature by a similar +61F in 6100/11943 hours (about 31 minutes.)

* More or less 1/2 hour. A dual motor Model Y with a total heat output to warm the battery of 7 kWh could warm the battery + 61F in about 15 minutes.

* This could be totally wrong.
So if I am reading your post correctly, the long range battery could be heated up by 61F in around 30 minutes and use less than 2KWH of juice? If true, all I can say is unbelievable to WOW!

So if I am reading your post correctly, the long range battery could be heated up by 61F in around 30 minutes and use less than 2KWH of juice? If true, all I can say is unbelievable to WOW!
Math was wrong; it would take 2.5 hours for a dual motor Model Y consuming 7kW for a total of 18kWh (18kWh is slightly more energy than is stored in 1/2 gallon of gasoline, so this seems crazy.) With a single motor stator generating half as much heat it would take 5 hours.

Last edited:
ABRP worked great for this. Was able to add the weight, the temp, wind speed and get a pretty close rating. What’s funny is that when the heat pump failed the range got better which doesn’t make sense because the heat pump keeps the batteries warm and supposed to help with range.
Glad you had a support truck with you, that would’ve been scary with kids. Aside from the louvre issue, I wonder how well the heat pump can perform that cold. I always thought that heat pumps were severely limited with air under 5F (-15C) due to the moisture content of the air. I have no idea how a heat pump actually works, or how it’s connected in the car. Maybe it would be different using recycled air from the car, ambient air warmed from the battery/motor/etc. Still think it would have been nice if they had left the resistive heater in there as well though.

Glad you had a support truck with you, that would’ve been scary with kids. Aside from the louvre issue, I wonder how well the heat pump can perform that cold. I always thought that heat pumps were severely limited with air under 5F (-15C) due to the moisture content of the air. I have no idea how a heat pump actually works, or how it’s connected in the car. Maybe it would be different using recycled air from the car, ambient air warmed from the battery/motor/etc. Still think it would have been nice if they had left the resistive heater in there as well though.
I think even the best residential heat pumps run out of steam(pun intended) at around -10f. I can't imagine there's ANY harvestable power at -67f, but maybe the folks at Tesla slipped a resistive heater in there, or are doing some magic with waste heat from the drivetrain.

I think even the best residential heat pumps run out of steam(pun intended) at around -10f. I can't imagine there's ANY harvestable power at -67f, but maybe the folks at Tesla slipped a resistive heater in there, or are doing some magic with waste heat from the drivetrain.
Heating the cabin is important but the bigger question is how much ENERGY would be required to warm and maintain the cell temps given the following three conditions. (Heating the battery via the motor stator windings has many none insulated surfaces, where the heat generated, will be lost, ie.. motor/inverter housings coolant lines, pumps, valves etc..)

1.) Warm and maintain the battery cell temps to 0F? (which would give no regen, reduced power, bad efficiency)

2.) Warm the batteries to 39F+ to allow L2 charging then, when active battery heating is stopped, how long would it take to drop back to 0F going down the road with ambient temps at -67F? (Little to no regen)

3.) Heat the HV battery to at least 70F to allow for some level of Super Charging (Would not be fast!)

I suspect any highway drive of any reasonable distance would not be practical with ambient temperatures around -67F, but I am open to being proved wrong.

I have stayed in Fraser Colorado area a few times where the nighttime temps dipped below -40F to -50F and the daytime temps never got above 0F; therefore, I have pondered how I would handle my 2018 M3 RWD parked outside, not plugged in, in those conditions. I would probably just take/rent an iCE car and keep a can of starter fluid and a good Jumpstarter in the hotel room at night (could even bring the 12V starter battery inside but that would be somewhat extreme unless it was close to end-of-life).

Last edited:
Normal minisplits do run out at -15F or so. My Mitsubishi goes to -26F (although it struggles, of course) but it has other circuits to help it accomplish this.

The Tesla system also has additional circuits to allow it to function at lower temps. It is not purely a heat pump. I'm sure it has been tweaked since this article, but read about "octovalve".

I doubt it'll help, but AAA (and maybe CAA) apparently now has emergency recharging capability. I don't know how it works.

Crank up those tire pressures! 45psi minimum when cold. It should buy you a few more miles at least, at the potential cost of some traction.
very very good point. I usually run my tires at 38psi for comfort but cranked em up recently due to low temps. my drive from the ski hill 45 minutes gives me an extra 3% with 43psi because of the extra roll out for downhill regen

As far as I am aware the Tesla Model Y does not warm the battery unless A) getting ready to charge or B) preconditioning before driving or C) driving in cold weather.
I think that is all correct in the case where the car is not plugged in.
But I still just don't believe that Tesla would be that willfully stupid as to NOT use external energy available from being plugged in, to the point where it lets the car get cold enough that it gets damaged from getting too cold.

I wouldn’t do your trip in this temp. Real world range drops significantly and the estimate is destination time/% will change as you drive.
I’d forgo heated seats, don’t play audio and reside screen light down to min. Also try to keep AC off even while your keeping cabin heat on. The estimate vs real world in extreme cold is hardly ever correct.

But I still just don't believe that Tesla would be that willfully stupid as to NOT use external energy available from being plugged in, to the point where it lets the car get cold enough that it gets damaged from getting too cold.
GM engineers for the Chevrolet Volt designed proactive heating of the Volt's battery pack into the battery management system as long as the Volt was plugged in. The Volt's battery was maintained between 32F and 40F when the Volt was plugged in. (Some of the original Chevrolet Volt team were from Detroit. The Volt team was well versed in winter driving considerations.

Heating the cabin is important but the bigger question is how much ENERGY would be required to warm and maintain the cell temps given the following three conditions. (Heating the battery via the motor stator windings has many none insulated surfaces, where the heat generated, will be lost, ie.. motor/inverter housings coolant lines, pumps, valves etc..)

1.) Warm and maintain the battery cell temps to 0F? (which would give no regen, reduced power, bad efficiency)

2.) Warm the batteries to 39F+ to allow L2 charging then, when active battery heating is stopped, how long would it take to drop back to 0F going down the road with ambient temps at -67F? (Little to no regen)

3.) Heat the HV battery to at least 70F to allow for some level of Super Charging (Would not be fast!)

I suspect any highway drive of any reasonable distance would not be practical with ambient temperatures around -67F, but I am open to being proved wrong.

I have stayed in Fraser Colorado area a few times where the nighttime temps dipped below -40F to -50F and the daytime temps never got above 0F; therefore, I have pondered how I would handle my 2018 M3 RWD parked outside, not plugged in, in those conditions. I would probably just take/rent an iCE car and keep a can of starter fluid and a good Jumpstarter in the hotel room at night (could even bring the 12V starter battery inside but that would be somewhat extreme unless it was close to end-of-life).
You’d be surprised how well most modern cars handle the extreme cold temps we can get in far northern climates. Most modern vehicles ICE and EV are daily drivers around here with little to no issues even being unplugged (block heater/EV charge) for your workday or overnight. The problems come from multiple days being parked outside unplugged and not driven or started. The ICE vehicles issues usually lie around the 12v battery becoming too cold to start the vehicle. A fix for this is to plug the vehicles block heater in a couple hours before you want to go or remove the battery and bring it inside to warm up then your good to go. And EV left outside in minus 40 for a few days is fine if it gets a precondition for an hour or to improve it a bit plug it in for a hour or two while preconditioning/warming up.
I left my ICE truck on the driveway for a week in that weather and it wouldn’t turn over at all. Took the battery inside the house for 2 hours then hooked it back up and it started like it was sitting in a warm garage.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and DrGriz
I think you a basically correct. If the car is plugged in, after the charge level drops around 3% below charge level set point, the car will wake up to bring the HV charge level back to the set point. If the battery is below around 39F, it will be heated to that point to allow L2 charging to begin. If it takes several days to drop that 3%, the battery could drop below the -22F danger point (depending on the ambient temp). If something keeps the car from sleeping, like Sentry, I think the car could top off as often as every 15 min? If true, the battery would not get much below 39F but the electric bill might be quite high. If temps were not in any danger of getting below -22f for any length of time and the car was going to be parked for several days, I would leave the car unplugged to not incur multiple battery heating operation for each top off; however, if the car was exposed to temps below -22f for an extended period, I would turn Sentry mode on so the car would wake up at least twice a day or possibly every 15 minutes to top off (and warm) the HV battery. In extreme cold conditions, refrain from charging to 90% charge level then dropping the set charge point back to 50% because, even if plugged in, it could take a few weeks to drop back to 50% set point. Sorry for the long rambling but hopefully you get the idea. Clear as mud, right! 😋

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H