Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume no - I took delivery in July, 2020. I looked on the left side of the glove box and saw nothing.
I took delivery of my LRMY in June, the front USB ports (One A and One C) are underneath the wireless charging pad. The USB-A port was not moved to the glove box until just before the center console refresh took place. I believe that some 2020 Model Y have the USB-A port in the glove box and still have the old console. All of the Model Y with the refreshed center console have the USB-A port inside the glovebox.

Seems to be a known issue...guess its better than missing ports.

There needs to be more communication on this. New owners are unaware, wasting time trying to diagnose why the ports aren't working as they should. Not packaging the Sonic game on 2022 Y and 3 just shines a spotlight on the issue.
Guys, file complaints with your state and federal agencies. I'm traveling and I plan to if it's not fixed on January 7th. And completely fixed, no data access in the front ports is unacceptable and having to Jerry rig with a hub so you can have sentry mode and have a game controller is not a solution.

I'll Lemon Law the damn car if Tesla doesn't make it right. The god damn balls on Tesla that thinks they play by a different set of rules and can set back consumer rights decades.

Guys, file complaints with your state and federal agencies. I'm traveling and I plan to if it's not fixed on January 7th. And completely fixed, no data access in the front ports is unacceptable and having to Jerry rig with a hub so you can have sentry mode and have a game controller is not a solution.

I'll Lemon Law the damn car if Tesla doesn't make it right. The god damn balls on Tesla that thinks they play by a different set of rules and can set back consumer rights decades.
Agreed. This deceptive and underhanded removal with no communication falls outside the reasonably expected delivered product.

If this is just a supply chain issue, then notify us and promise to retrofit and restore the expected and documented functionality of the usb c console ports.

Otherwise state and local notification and any attorneys out there start drafting a class action suit. I’d be happy to be the representative party.

I think one of the
Agreed. This deceptive and underhanded removal with no communication falls outside the reasonably expected delivered product.

If this is just a supply chain issue, then notify us and promise to retrofit and restore the expected and documented functionality of the usb c console ports.

Otherwise state and local notification and any attorneys out there start drafting a class action suit. I’d be happy to be the representative party.
Let me know too. I do think the Lemon route, especially in California will get the attention it deserves. Cars bought back have to be branded as Lemons here.

• Funny
Reactions: turrmoil and Sandor
I think one of the

Let me know too. I do think the Lemon route, especially in California will get the attention it deserves. Cars bought back have to be branded as Lemons here.
Not sure the benefit of that - can't these cars be sold at a markup? Why lemon it when you can just sell it for more than you bought it?

While this is an annoying problem that needs fixing, I don't think that the lemon law nor a lawsuit is the solution. I see a 2-step solution here: Tesla can recommend a good hub for the glove box, that's a $20 solution...and then they can beef up their bluetooth functionality so that more game controllers work directly via bluetooth - and they've confirmed to me "officially" that they are already working on that.

Reactions: rbcopod
Not sure the benefit of that - can't these cars be sold at a markup? Why lemon it when you can just sell it for more than you bought it?

While this is an annoying problem that needs fixing, I don't think that the lemon law nor a lawsuit is the solution. I see a 2-step solution here: Tesla can recommend a good hub for the glove box, that's a $20 solution...and then they can beef up their bluetooth functionality so that more game controllers work directly via bluetooth - and they've confirmed to me "officially" that they are already working on that.
Agree with you. However it’s only a $20 solution if the hub is the issue. If the cable from the usb a to the usb c hub is the issue? Could be a bit more involved. Still the cost is minimally compared to a $55 to 65K vehicle. Hopefully there will be an announcement promising a retrofit for those involved. Or perhaps a third party will sell a kit allowing the functionality to return.

Reactions: Counting321
Agree with you. However it’s only a $20 solution if the hub is the issue. If the cable from the usb a to the usb c hub is the issue? Could be a bit more involved. Still the cost is minimally compared to a $55 to 65K vehicle. Hopefully there will be an announcement promising a retrofit for those involved. Or perhaps a third party will sell a kit allowing the functionality to return.
I've installed a $20 4-port USB A hub in the glove box, plugged in a $20 Mayflash USB dongle, and it works fine with a PS5 controller on Sky Force and the Atari games. So the solution works, if only Tesla would install the rest of the games on my car. I'll be adding in a USB key with music on it to the hub to play hi-rez music (to go with the sentry mode USB key that Tesla included with the car).

Ultimately, I hated the lack of data on the center console ports at first, but with a $20 USB hub, the "stuff" is all in the glove box securely and it's an elegant solution without having to buy a $100 3rd party hub for the center console, so in the end it's fine. If Tesla could just make bluetooth controllers work directly without the need for a Mayflash dongle, then it would be even better. Best would be if they didn't remove the games from new cars!

Reactions: Mike_TV and MP3Mike
Best would be if they didn't remove the games from new cars!
If I could figure out a way to do so, you could have mine... ;) I never use the games and toys in my MY, other than the Christmas time sleigh ride and lights. There's always something to get done, never the time to waste on games, since I rarely need to SC so not stuck in the car waiting. I have Xbox, PS, large screen TV and a comfy couch for that.

As I understand it the lack of USB data connectivity is the result of the chip shortage. As someone who ordered a Y on 7/30/21 and didn't get delivery until 11/28 (with the singe glove box dataport), I can say I would rather not have waited even longer for parts to be available. Likewise as a Tesla shareholder I can accept the need to keep production moving. Would I rather have another data port (or two!)? Of course I would. But not if I had to wait until next year.

I think one of the

Read the text of the Lemon law - this doesn’t qualify. The car is safe and functional; the absence of data on the USB ports is an inconvenience but does not affect the core function or safety of the car and is a temporary issue due to a parts shortage. I get that it’s annoying, but try to keep a bit of perspective.

Reactions: Sandor
Has Tesla said it is temporary and they are going to replace the non-data hub with a data enabled hub at some point in the future?
The user manual has been updated and it says that ModelY built after November 1, 2021 may only have charge only USB ports in center console.

To me that implies a permanent change if they went thru the trouble to update the owners manual.

CA3BF79B-37AC-4B3C-847E-BE1852C989AA.jpeg

Last edited:

A) It's reported
B) it's a PITA for them
C) They could sell it for a markup
As I understand it the lack of USB data connectivity is the result of the chip shortage. As someone who ordered a Y on 7/30/21 and didn't get delivery until 11/28 (with the singe glove box dataport), I can say I would rather not have waited even longer for parts to be available. Likewise as a Tesla shareholder I can accept the need to keep production moving. Would I rather have another data port (or two!)? Of course I would. But not if I had to wait until next year.

Read the text of the Lemon law - this doesn’t qualify. The car is safe and functional; the absence of data on the USB ports is an inconvenience but does not affect the core function or safety of the car and is a temporary issue due to a parts shortage. I get that it’s annoying, but try to keep a bit of perspective.
Sure, second largest purchase in someone's life, but meh, we should be ok with the lack of disclosure and changing the specifications after the fact. I mean it's not like it's the literal dictionary definition of fraud or anything 🙄 the perspective is, billionaire (trillionaire) company that has been producing cars for over a decade that still thinks stuff like this is ok and trying to cover their asses by making addendums to the Owners manual.

You're also misrepresenting Lemon Laws. I've come close to invoking it in the past, forced a settlement, for something that you'd probably consider just as trivial and wasn't a core or safety function.

Reactions: turrmoil
In the grand scheme it’s a minor issue but a simple sticker noting data only would have saved a lot of aggravation and support requests. It needs to be fixed when parts are available, they serve no purpose with the charging pad available. Supply chain issues shouldn’t be passed to the consumer to figure out.

I still don't understand supply chain issue can effect a simple USB hub. I mean there are tons of USB hub selling on Amazon right now and it is pretty cheap. How come these Chinese small companies don't have shortage on the chips while Tesla doesn't able to put one in to their cars.

Reactions: ClaytonW
In the grand scheme it’s a minor issue but a simple sticker noting data only would have saved a lot of aggravation and support requests. It needs to be fixed when parts are available, they serve no purpose with the charging pad available. Supply chain issues shouldn’t be passed to the consumer to figure out.
Exactly. And I don't know if I buy the supply chain story since cars are being produced with it just fine. They had a hiccup and didn't want to halt production and was like, nah too bad for the consumer. We'll manage the risk, it is cheaper to "fix" it and manage the fall out (especially since there are zealot defenders of everything Musk) than to pause production as it will push production numbers back for any given month and quarter.

Look, I'd care less about it if it was disclosed up front, there no chance in hell they didn't strategize about it.

Seems like they're changing their tactics for the MYP spoiler that may not be available.

I saw this just in time, thank you. I have a Model Y on order, and had just ordered a 128GB Samsung Bar Plus for Music and Boombox purposes, but canceled before it shipped thanks to this thread. I will now plan to partition the extant glovebox drive unless things change. Not a big worry for my use case, but it does damper things a little in terms of center hub gaming controllers.

It looks like it may be a permanent change. At least on the Model Y, the owners manual has been updated to reflect this change.View attachment 750123
Just because you put a little addendum in the online manual doesn’t get you off the hook in my opinion. We ordered the vehicles with this feature. The supporting documentation that we were sent while awaiting our cars documented the feature. It then just vanishes. There is no reason to remove Sonic. There is no reason why this couldn’t be retrofitted. The cost for the replacement hub or cable is insignificant. It’s not a safety issue.

This may not be a major issue with regard to the vehicle overall but it strikes me as dishonest, underhanded, and undermines faith in the vehicle. This is the missing part we discovered. What else has been left out?

If consumers don’t speak up when a company does something that’s inappropriate, we deserve to have other things removed or phased out despite them being in the product description. The whole thing just seems deceptive.

The “may be” phrase suggests that this feature may return.

Just because you put a little addendum in the online manual doesn’t get you off the hook in my opinion. We ordered the vehicles with this feature. The supporting documentation that we were sent while awaiting our cars documented the feature. It then just vanishes. There is no reason to remove Sonic. There is no reason why this couldn’t be retrofitted. The cost for the replacement hub or cable is insignificant. It’s not a safety issue.

This may not be a major issue with regard to the vehicle overall but it strikes me as dishonest, underhanded, and undermines faith in the vehicle. This is the missing part we discovered. What else has been left out?

If consumers don’t speak up when a company does something that’s inappropriate, we deserve to have other things removed or phased out despite them being in the product description. The whole thing just seems deceptive.

The “may be” phrase suggests that this feature may return.
I’m not defending it. I just thought I’d pass on what I found.

Attachments

• 477B303A-8EB8-4349-B281-B4368C256A03.jpeg
    477B303A-8EB8-4349-B281-B4368C256A03.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 68