Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP 90% Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have a 2022 MYP but at 90% my range shows as 259. I haven’t yet asked Tesla but will on my next service visit. Not sure if this is a problem however I’d prefer to see the full epa range of 303.
Everyone would love their vehicle to get the EPA range forever, but it doesn’t work that way. Your estimated range is within 5% of the EPA estimate. Tesla will not do anything for that because that is completely normal. It is also an estimate, not an exact amount. It does not mean you have 5% degradation. You need 30% actual degradation to get warranty coverage.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Everyone would love their vehicle to get the EPA range forever, but it doesn’t work that way. Your estimated range is within 5% of the EPA estimate. Tesla will not do anything for that because that is completely normal. It is also an estimate, not an exact amount. It does not mean you have 5% degradation. You need 30% actual degradation to get warranty coverage.
I'm happy with mine!

Attachments

• Tesla Update 110422 IMG_9267.PNG
    Tesla Update 110422 IMG_9267.PNG
    96.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Tesla update 110422 IMG_9266.PNG
    Tesla update 110422 IMG_9266.PNG
    206.5 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: SpicyPaneer
First of all, welcome and sorry you got a bristly intro to this forum. I lived in Colorado for 20 years and also owned a Tesla there so I can attest to the cold weather performance.

I also dont leave the car charged if I know Im not going to drive it.

So, anyway my 2c FWIW -
Cheers and welcome.
J

So on this. We are planning on 4 week vacation soon where we will be gone and the car will just sit in the garage. Is it ok to leave it unplugged for that length of time? How much trickle drain is there?

No worries; I tend to keep the battery SOC between 65% and 85%. I charge 4X per week, approximately every other day for 90 minutes per charging session. That works out to 25 - 30 miles of driving, including climate control usage and preconditioning over the four seasons.

At what percent do you start to worry before charging?
depends on my drive, what chargers are around, if im in a rush or not, usually show up to super chargers when im road tripping around 5-10 percent but thats only on trips daily i charge my car to 60 percent and that lasts a few days or so until i get down to 30's and charge it back to 60 at night. Most people especially people who dont like to plan ahead their trips looks for chargers when they get to around 20 percent.

Thank you both. Just trying to get a new routine going with the car. Still waiting on queue to have a wall charger installed in the garage. Right now, we're just trickle charging but the MY has yet replaced any of the vehicles due to our visit with the repair center to fix up some deliver items.

I generally don't go much below 20%, just because I always like to have some reserve "just in case".

I never went below a quarter of a tank in my ICE vehicles either. I guess it's just me.
Sounds like me. I act as if quarter tank in ICE is like E, lol. My brain is conditioned that way so going to be interesting how it needs to shift looking at % and/or miles left.

Reactions: CaseyL
Great info , trip coming up end of the week central NJ to Boston northwestern suburb. 1st stop at Charlton 215miles from home and supercharge for rest of 70 miles to destination. People need to realize weather conditions coming into play as well as tire pressure and load your hauling.

I have purchased a 2023 MYP recently and last weekend when I took it out for roughly 160 miles roundtrip cruising at 70-80 mph for the entire trip I went down from 90% to 6% I wanted to address this as this is barely half of the estimated range and I am aware that it is not realistic to receive the true 303 EPA range but a range of 160 miles for 84% does not seem to be anywhere close to that at all.

I have purchased a 2023 MYP recently and last weekend when I took it out for roughly 160 miles roundtrip cruising at 70-80 mph for the entire trip I went down from 90% to 6% I wanted to address this as this is barely half of the estimated range and I am aware that it is not realistic to receive the true 303 EPA range but a range of 160 miles for 84% does not seem to be anywhere close to that at all.
Look in the energy app in the car to see where your energy is going.

Cruising over 70 mph is going to reduce range by a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Did you ever see the show "Monk"? He was a detective with extreme OCD, which made him a good detective, but very riddled with anxiety. He had a saying, "It's a blessing...and a curse."

That's kind of like how this is with electric motors. Most people have never had to learn about how disgustingly inefficient gas engines are. They are constantly just wasting two thirds of the energy of the gasoline with massive losses out the radiator and tailpipe and have to desperately keep from melting the engine down with how much waste heat there is.

So extra losses don't show up quite as easily, because they're swamped by the existing losses. But electric motors are about 90% efficient. This also means they're kind of up on a pedestal, so losses tend to show up more and knock them down more easily from the ideal conditions. So higher speed and more heat use is just going to make it deviate from that optimistic EPA value more. But that's the tradeoff for electricity being a much cheaper fuel per mile than gasoline.

what is your avg Wh/Mi?

assuming u are on the stock 21" UT wheels, your efficiency will never be good. Especially if you going 70-80 mph. And if you have heat or AC running. Plus, elevation or outside tempeture or wind....weather will effect ur range.

my advice for you, switch to percentage over miles. And if range is your thing, switch to 19" rims. And try to get below 270 wh/mi. Ideal wh/mi to hit Tesla EPA is 250!

I have a 2022 MYP with 25k miles. Currently sitting on 19" martian wheels. Also from the SF Bay Area. I got my wh/mi around 250 and hit Tesla EPA. So it is possible. 50/50 street/hwy. FAN on, 5-10 mph over limit. I did it once, just for testing. My life wh/mi is around 265 wh/mi with 19".

Total battery pack is 82 kwh. Usable is 79 when new.

IMG_1139.jpeg

Just picked up my 2022 MYP. I am not complaining, just trying to understand the range calc. With my first home charge to 90% the estimated range is 268. With an EPA range of 303, 90% would be 272.7. Just wondering if anyone knows how the calc is done for remaining range as I am I interested in just understanding.

Thank you

Dale
You can get the 303 as posted if you drive like an old lady if you drive 50 mph with no ac, fan or heat all accessories shut off. But if you go those speeds , you may get run off the road. Just enjoy the car. Charge at home at offpeak hours for maximum savings.

A few weeks ago we did a roadtrip consisting of only motorway driving.

We started off with 96% SOT and when we pulled in to charge at the charger Tesla recommended it was down to 10% and we had done 201 miles.

This was with an ambient outside temperature of between 41F and 46F and a constant speed on autopilot of 70 mph, and 3 adults and one child in the car, so basically 550 pounds of "cargo"

I think this is reasonable, and i would expect the same trip in the summertime when the temperature is 75-80 to be somewhat more.

I know this is quite a bit under the EPA range, but that is probably calculated based on mixed speeds.

I tend to drive and drive when on longer trips, so i find it's actually a good thing, to be forced to stop for 30 minutes every 2½-3 hours, and when the kids are in the car i can never drive for that long without them having to use the bathroom, so in that situation i would probably just go to the nearest supercharger when they need to pee, and then charge for whatever time they are gone to the toilet. Does not matter if it is only 10 minutes, means that no time at all is wasted, and i can add some extra miles in that 10 minutes.

With my previous EV, that would not be something i would do, as it would usually take 5-10 minutes to even get the charger started charging the car.

Reactions: yellowr6