Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had time to check out my local SC again. Mostly premium lights on the lot, but the newest build I saw had global/matrix lights!

Also note how the VIN range is not chronological by date. 5/21 build with 261xxx VIN but 5/23 build with 258xxx VIN. So try to go by build date if you can find it and not just the VIN range.

Build DateVINLights
05/21/22258,7xxPremium/Reflector
05/21/22259,1xxPremium/Reflector
05/21/22259,5xxPremium/Reflector
05/21/22259,9xxPremium/Reflector
05/21/22260,0xxPremium/Reflector
05/21/22260,4xxPremium/Reflector
05/21/22261,3xxPremium/Reflector
05/22/22263,4xxPremium/Reflector
05/23/22258,8xxPremium/Reflector
05/23/22260,1xxPremium/Reflector
05/25/22264,8xx***Global/Matrix***

IMG_0799.jpeg

What is your VIN? Are you planning to reject if it’s not matrix?

Also I see you already have a delivery date. Did you schedule delivery through app or through your SA?
I’m a 263 VIN. I got a text with a link to book the appointment. Once I booked the appointment came up on the app. About 5 days later the VIN came up on the app too. I honestly don’t know what to do. On one hand I’ve been waiting 3 months for the car, but on the other hand it’s kinda frustrating to hear I might have old tech. From what I see on these forums the difference between the two lights is significant. Just hoping for the best.

Reactions: Prime1000
I’m a 263 VIN. I got a text with a link to book the appointment. Once I booked the appointment came up on the app. About 5 days later the VIN came up on the app too. I honestly don’t know what to do. On one hand I’ve been waiting 3 months for the car, but on the other hand it’s kinda frustrating to hear I might have old tech. From what I see on these forums the difference between the two lights is significant. Just hoping for the best.
Nice, I’m 260. I just got an email that final payment is ready but nothing to book. Just got a shortened window of June 1-7th. Everything is so random. We have very similar order dates too. Just a day off. I feel your pain too. If you reject, who knows if it will have matrix or not. It’s all a risk.

Did you find the date the car was manufactured?

I was set on accepting the older lights but I keep getting sucked into a rabbit hole reading about both lol. If I didn’t know about the lights, I would have been better off 😂

But you have to think, if Tesla is using these interchangeably I don’t think they will be turning these features on anytime soon or at all. You’re going to upset a lot of customers who don’t visit the forums or Reddit and didn’t know the difference. But then again, the same could be said about Intel vs Ryzen

Lots of happy model Y customers who have these premium lights as well. No option for matrix unless it’s MYP.

Nice, I’m 260. I just got an email that final payment is ready but nothing to book. Just got a shortened window of June 1-7th. Everything is so random. We have very similar order dates too. Just a day off. I feel your pain too. If you reject, who knows if it will have matrix or not. It’s all a risk.

I was set on accepting the older lights but I keep getting sucked into a rabbit hole reading about both lol. If I didn’t know about the lights, I would have been better off 😂

But you have to think, if Tesla is using these interchangeably I don’t think they will be turning these features on anytime soon or at all. You’re going to upset a lot of customers who don’t visit the forums or Reddit and didn’t know the difference. But then again, the same could be said about Intel vs Ryzen

Lots of happy model Y customers who have these premium lights as well. No option for matrix unless it’s MYP.
I agree that if they just activated adaptive features now it would really upset those that didnt get the lights. I think at this point unfortunately with there now being a good number of 3’s out there with the reflector lights, and all the Y’s out there without them, probably the only way they could do this without really upsetting a lot of people would be to offer it as a paid upgrade, like they do with the acceleration boost. I for one would gladly pay for it right now. I eventually I think Telsa will have to address it at some point now that the adaptive tech is legal in the US since February, and it is just a matter of time before many other car companies, many of whom already have the tech on their European versions of their cars right now, could easily add it to US cars in very short order, and could entice buyers to buy their cars instead of Teslas. Obviously that may take a while with the demand through the roof, but with many companies now offering interesting options to Tesla, it could happen. I for one would love it if they would just make it a paid upgrade, obviously within reason, but I would 100% rather pay for that tech then for the performance boost, which is very rarely actually useful. . .

Reactions: Prime1000

I’m with you; I would’ve been better off not knowing. I think the percentage of people lurking on here is so small that most aren’t aware.

After 3 months waiting I’m probably just going to take what I get.

How do I find the date it was manufactured?

Model 3 LR. May 27/22 build date here. VIN 267xxx. SA was not able to confirm yet if I have global matrix lights.

I have a 4 day delivery window now, so not yet booked a specific delivery date. I'll be sure to ask the SA once that date is booked and will keep you all posted.

I plan on refusing delivery if it's the old lights, which is unfortunate and I hope that won't be the result.

I’m with you; I would’ve been better off not knowing. I think the percentage of people lurking on here is so small that most aren’t aware.

After 3 months waiting I’m probably just going to take what I get.

How do I find the date it was manufactured?

I heard that SAs shouldn’t be telling people if they have them or not. If word gets out to the general public, it could cause people to reject just like many who were trying to get an Austin built model Y.

The features for matrix still need to be approved for use by Transport Canada. Likely will happen since they usually follow the US.

Give Tesla a call and they will tell you the date of manufacture and also where the vehicle is currently if you’re interested :)

Reactions: AmFern
I heard that SAs shouldn’t be telling people if they have them or not. If word gets out to the general public, it could cause people to reject just like many who were trying to get an Austin built model Y.

The features for matrix still need to be approved for use by Transport Canada. Likely will happen since they usually follow the US.

Give Tesla a call and they will tell you the date of manufacture and also where the vehicle is currently if you’re interested :)
I contacted my SA twice and he won't respond. I called the 1-888 number and when you select Canada I get disconnected. How did you get through.

But features aside, to me the strength and quality of the new lights looks significantly better.

I just called my local SC number from Google and then pressed 1 for vehicles and then 2 for new vehicle delivery. Then just asked “order status” and get transferred to a rep. Keep me posted if it works.
I just called. he seemed to try and be very helpful. He said it is hard to tell. I read that if you had the old style it would say Premium headlights and if you had the new ones it did not say anything. He said mine says Uplevel Headlamps and was built on May 21st. Still really don't know.

I just called. he seemed to try and be very helpful. He said it is hard to tell. I read that if you had the old style it would say Premium headlights and if you had the new ones it did not say anything. He said mine says Uplevel Headlamps and was built on May 21st. Still really don't know.
I just searched for Tesla Uplevel headlights and it looks like they are the old style. Now I need to decide if I reject and wait.

I just searched for Tesla Uplevel headlights and it looks like they are the old style. Now I need to decide if I reject and wait.
As I posted before, I’m likely to accept since who knows how long it will take for the next batch to come and if they will even have them. Plus I’m more interested in the interface, connectivity and the drive of the car. The lights just illuminate the road and both do a good job.

I think I would have been more upset if it didn’t have Ryzen since that’s the brain of the UI and things are going to be added which will take more computing power. That’s just my personal opinion.