Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As promised .....

SFL COMPOSER COMPETITION

Where will SFL COMPOSER be at Midday UTC on 20 Feb 22?
She should be sailing between Suez and Southampton.​

EU Maj Sq.png

All you have to do is choose a major square and then one of the 25 minor squares within it, that you think the ship will be located in.
(I realise they aren't actually square!)

Minor Squares.png

Although a lot of likely major squares contain land, careful selection of the minor square will place your selection at sea eg Major Square P3 and Minor Square 23 is fine but P3 and 1 is going to be a loser!

Only 1 entry per person. It's free to enter.
In the event of a tie, the person who chose the closest small square first will be declared the winner.
The competition will close for entries at Midday UTC on 14 Feb 22 .
There is no prize - it's just bit of fun!
Results will be announced on the shipping thread on 20 Feb 22, shortly after Midday UTC.

You don't need to sign in to Google or enter an email address to enter!

Enter by clicking this link SFL COMPOSER competition

When I called they said my MY hadn’t set sail yet, his expectation was a week or so for mid March delivery. So maybe one more next week?

if they don’t get a match on your car until they’re under way, are they guessing or working it out by knowing they havne’t matched yours yet? How much do we think CS know about the cars coming over and the shipments? Seems to vary massively based on who you get so maybe the information is available?

if they don’t get a match on your car until they’re under way, are they guessing or working it out by knowing they havne’t matched yours yet? How much do we think CS know about the cars coming over and the shipments? Seems to vary massively based on who you get so maybe the information is available?
Tesla don't manufacture to order. So somebody in Tesla has the job of matching orders against what has been loaded on to a ship.
The local Tesla office may have an idea of how many ships are coming but don't have the detail. They may know for example that no MY P will be delivered until Q2.
If however you have a VIN and have been matched they can tell where the car is. Whether they tell you that is another thing. If you find a VIN in source code, just be aware that it can change.

Reactions: BatteryJuice
I bet they could just predict demand for each specification. E.g Blue/Black is maybe 15% of all orders. Probably over time the ratios of configs stabilise and therefore it’s pretty predictable for the factory. Then if they know that there are 4000 unmatched orders and the next boat is arriving with 4000 cars it’s likely unless the popularity of a combination has changed most people will get their orders.

Reactions: Mrklaw
I bet they could just predict demand for each specification. E.g Blue/Black is maybe 15% of all orders. Probably over time the ratios of configs stabilise and therefore it’s pretty predictable for the factory. Then if they know that there are 4000 unmatched orders and the next boat is arriving with 4000 cars it’s likely unless the popularity of a combination has changed most people will get their orders.
Yes agreed. It’s really only 10 variants they need to produce for the LR given that the wheels get fitted at the end of the assembly line. And then the EA / FSD is a software activation. Quite easy for the manufacturing to be close to the ordering percentages.

@Mr Miserable, GLOVIS CONDOR confirmed for a French order.

Delivery to Signes (South France) on 25 February.

Maybe ETA Koper...
She's not showing on the Koper arrivals board.
She's in no rush at the moment and so I expect she is not due to transit the canal until early Monday morning.
We'll have to wait until then to find out where she is headed.
If she is a Tesla ship I'm surprised that we have only just learned about a single French car.

Reactions: jmhumphreys
do the ships require special ventilation when they’re loading hundreds/thousands of ICE cars on?
Very much so - take a look at a picture of a RoRo and particularly the top deck - lots and lots of vents. All those white boxes - all vents. They use lots of electrical power too and on most ships at least 2 generators are required to be online just to power the powerful fans.

Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 22.55.31.png

They are used not only during loading to prevent the build up of exhaust fumes but during the voyage too to prevent any concentration of petrol fumes or other gases.
The vents are important for electric cars too - they are used to control the humidity. Think of the weather the ship transits through on its voyage from Shanghai to Zeebrugge. Many days of hot humid weather, some hot dry weather and then cold and humid.
Sensors around the decks measure the dew point of the air and the car decks are kept ventilated accordingly.
The bottom car deck can get very hot (damn hot) and to protect the tyres (it can get hot enough to melt tyres) air is used to cool the deck.
Records are kept onboard of the deck temperatures and dew points.
Meticulous attention is paid to the condition of the vents, dampers and filters to ensure they remain clean and rust free and the louvres and vent flaps are regularly inspected.
During particularly heavy weather it may be necessary to suspend routine ventilation to prevent water ingress.

Last edited:
Very much so - take a look at a picture of a RoRo and particularly the top deck - lots and lots of vents. All those white boxes - all vents. They use lots of electrical power too and on most ships at least 2 generators are required to be online just to power the powerful fans.

View attachment 765361
They are used not only during loading to prevent the build up of exhaust fumes but during the voyage too to prevent any concentration of petrol fumes or other gases.
The vents are important for electric cars too - they are used to control the humidity. Think of the weather the ship transits through on its voyage from Shanghai to Zeebrugge. Many days of hot humid weather, some hot dry weather and then cold and humid.
Sensors around the decks measure the dew point of the air and the car decks are kept ventilated accordingly.
The bottom car deck can get very hot (damn hot) and to protect the tyres (it can get hot enough to melt tyres) air is used to cool the deck.
Records are kept onboard of the deck temperatures and dew points.
Meticulous attention is paid to the condition of the vents, dampers and filters to ensure they remain clean and rust free and the louvres and vent flaps are regularly inspected.
During particularly heavy weather it may be necessary to suspend routine ventilation to prevent water ingress.
I guess Teslas are fully charged when leaving the factory? Otherwise the time waiting at the docks and the journey on the ship, they would be towards being flat? Especially those models which suffer the phantom drain!

By the way, many thanks for your regular updates. Much appreciated!

Reactions: mutthouse
Status
Not open for further replies.